Who Switched to a Rink Grip - Did You Like it?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Scrench

Who Switched to a Rink Grip - Did You Like it?

Post by Scrench »

In my quest to find a grip that fits me better than the stock Steyr grip on my LP10, the name Rink keeps coming up a lot. I see that you can send them drawings and molds of your hand, or even fly over there and let them do it to get it perfect. I also know I could just whittle away at the one I have, but there is a certain elegance to having one custom made to your hand.

I'd like to hear from those of you who did go the Rink route. How did you do it (standard options, submit drawings, molds) and what was the outcome?

Thank you for your replies and experiences.

Scrench
paw080

Re: Who Switched to a Rink Grip - Did You Like it?

Post by paw080 »

Scrench wrote:In my quest to find a grip that fits me better than the stock Steyr grip on my LP10, the name Rink keeps coming up a lot. I see that you can send them drawings and molds of your hand, or even fly over there and let them do it to get it perfect. I also know I could just whittle away at the one I have, but there is a certain elegance to having one custom made to your hand.

I'd like to hear from those of you who did go the Rink route. How did you do it (standard options, submit drawings, molds) and what was the outcome?

Thank you for your replies and experiences.

Scrench
Yes Scrench, I like my replacement Rink Grip; also, Yes Scrench, I like my

Marschal grip. That's more stuff for you to research and ponder. Also don't

forget Nil grips.

Tony
nick marshall

Rink Grip

Post by nick marshall »

I have spent a small fortune on Rink grips.

Having changed air pistols a lot more than most, I have fitted them to at least five different pistols.

Steyr LP5/50. LP10. LP10e. SAM K14. Morini 162ei Short. Morini 162ei std.
Also have another on order for my new Pardini K12.

All have been standard medium or large left handed. Walnut.

I feel they fit my hand a lot better than any factory grip, with the exception of the Walther LP400 factory grip. Plus the newer FWB P44 grip. Both are really nice factory grips.

Biggest improvement was the Steyr LP10e grip. I found the factory grips dreadful on that gun. Closely followed by the standard LP10 grip.
Older LP1/5 were better.

So, I think it depends on what you are starting with, and how you feel about the original grip fit.

Don't think there too expensive. Wait is about 8 weeks at present. Also, should you sell the Rink grip, if it's mint and unaltered. They will fetch a very good price.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I've had a mix of custom made rink grips and grips modified by a number of experts. The rink grips still needed fine tuning when I got them even with the drawing around your hand approach. They aren't a magic solution IMHO they are just one other way of getting the grip to fit you properly. I'd personally look at modifying what you have first, it's certainly a cheaper approach...

Rob.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Just to ad to the confusion, Morini also makes grips for other brands of pistols.

I help coach a collegiate team, and we've bought about 20 Rink grips over the last few years. This is mostly because: A) Rink is very easy to deal with, and B) they have a wider range of sizes than almost anyone else. Over half our team is typically small Asian women, and Rink makes XXS grips that almost no one else does. The sizes are also more finely graduated than most other vendors.

One approach is to grit your teeth, and have at your existing grip with files, Dremels & putty. Once you have it just the way you want, you can send it off to Rink, and they will make a nice copy in solid wood. If you shoot year 'round, you may want to get a second grip to fiddle with as a back-up for when the first one is off getting copied.

Be warned, one vendors "medium" may not match up with the same sizing for a different vendor. I've attached a file with as much info as I've managed to glean over the years.
Attachments
Target Pistol Grip Sizes.pdf
(51.41 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

I started this because I have one of the dreadful standard LP10 grips and am exploring my options before ripping a perfectly good grip apart, one which could pay for a new one. And from all of the questions I've seen regarding grips, I'm sure there are others out there who will benefit from this thread.

I don't know if this helps with perspective or is completely meaningless, but the only grip I've ever felt that just magically melted into the contours of my hand, like I wasn't holding anything at all, belonged to the Pardini K58 I had. If I could find the equivalent of that grip that would fit my LP10, that would be Nirvana. I've written Pardfini about the possibility of getting one to fit...no reply.

Thank you for the replies so far, and keep them coming, this is very useful. I'd forgotten about Nil, and never heard of Marschal.

Best Regards,
Scrench
rmca

Post by rmca »

Scrench - Sorry for the small highjack of the tread!
Gwhite wrote:One approach is to grit your teeth, and have at your existing grip with files, Dremels & putty. Once you have it just the way you want, you can send it off to Rink, and they will make a nice copy in solid wood.
Gwhite

Have you, or anyone else for that matter, sent a modified grip to Rink to get it copied?

I'm at a point where I'm quite happy with my wood plus a lot of epoxy grip, and I'm thinking about sending it to be copied in all wood, so any information on how that process ends out would be greatly appreciated.

How exact is the copied grip in relation to the original? Does it still needs minor modifications to be as good as the original?

Thanks a lot for the responses!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Scrench wrote: I don't know if this helps with perspective or is completely meaningless, but the only grip I've ever felt that just magically melted into the contours of my hand, like I wasn't holding anything at all, belonged to the Pardini K58 I had. If I could find the equivalent of that grip that would fit my LP10, that would be Nirvana. I've written Pardfini about the possibility of getting one to fit...no reply.

Thank you for the replies so far, and keep them coming, this is very useful. I'd forgotten about Nil, and never heard of Marschal.

Best Regards,
Scrench
That grip just so happened to fit you well, doesn't mean another from pardini would, or that it would suit anyone else. We all have different hands which is why no grip can ever be the right fit for most people.

The only way to get a perfect fit is to customise or get someone else to and they have to be there with you.

Rob.
django

Post by django »

i bought one. This is not my first choice. My first choice is nill griff. But nill like slow responding customer and give me document promise not export again outside my country. I emailed it and still slow response. I need new fit grip for my national championship. I don't have time and switch to mr Rink. his response is good. Fast reply my email. Only took 3 day for me transfer money with bank. and done 4 week i receive grip from rink.

there is a bit of a disappointment. Seems different in size rink. Small to Griff feels too small rink. If in steyr / Morini Griff I use the small size, may be more suitable for the rink to the medium. I had to modify and patch up some parts that feels right. There is one thing that does not quite fit rink Griff has a palm rest is too short. I had to patch up with putty so that longer and can support my palm

Next i will try nill griff , i hope they will more fast response to customer.
crankythunder

Dear Skrench:

Post by crankythunder »

I had a extra large rink grip on my pardini, it was fitted by vlad and emil at camp perry so I got the correct size.

I liked it for about a month but then the exaggerated high rake European grip angle started putting a strain on the tendons on the top of my wrist. I even manufactured a aluminum spacer to fill the void between the grip and the palm shelf. If you like the high rake angle they are a ok grip but it may take you a month or more to get the aches and then about two months to recover from it.

I went with a dick Horton with the 1911 angled grip. I went with the lacquered finish with the finger grooves and paid a small premium for extra fancy wood. The grip is gorgeous.

Mr. Horton uses a image from your hand to size the grip. I think it was less expensive then the rinks as well.

Regards,
Cranky
conradin

Post by conradin »

You will love a rink grip.
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

I bought a small (laminated) Rink grip for my LP10E as the medium that I purchased it with was just that fraction too large when reduced to its smallest dimensions (I purchased it with a medium in case I ever needed to sell it again. I decided that selling a pistol with a small grip would limit my potential customers).

However, when I went to shoot my first live competition last weekend, the pistol failed the dimension check. When the official attempted to insert it into the box, the palm rest was about 1mm too wide. About 5 mins of gentle sanding later and I was good to go, but it's worth bearing in mind that your new grip may require a little modification before it complies with any pre-competition equipment checks.

But apart from that minor niggle I love both the feel and look of the laminated Rink grip.
Steyr LP10 E
conradin

Post by conradin »

Zeddsded wrote:I bought a small (laminated) Rink grip for my LP10E as the medium that I purchased it with was just that fraction too large when reduced to its smallest dimensions (I purchased it with a medium in case I ever needed to sell it again. I decided that selling a pistol with a small grip would limit my potential customers).

However, when I went to shoot my first live competition last weekend, the pistol failed the dimension check. When the official attempted to insert it into the box, the palm rest was about 1mm too wide. About 5 mins of gentle sanding later and I was good to go, but it's worth bearing in mind that your new grip may require a little modification before it complies with any pre-competition equipment checks.

But apart from that minor niggle I love both the feel and look of the laminated Rink grip.
You bought the regular LP10E grip right? I did hear of Rink grip failing the box test. I am concerned about that.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Zeddsded wrote:However, when I went to shoot my first live competition last weekend, the pistol failed the dimension check.
That is not unusual with any new grips, and quite common with Rink grips on an LP10.

I would recommend always going through the voluntary pre-event equipment control. You can fail that one with no penalty.
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

conradin wrote:You bought the regular LP10E grip right? I did hear of Rink grip failing the box test. I am concerned about that.
Yes, it was the regular grip for the LP10E. I had seen posts previously about the switch for the electronics standing proud and causing the pistol to fail the check (Thanks to these posts I had already confirmed that mine was recessed below the battery cover). I was just pleased that it was clearly the palm rest that was fouling the box as this was by far the easiest part of the grip for me to rectify on the day.
Steyr LP10 E
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

My LP10 e failed a box test with the standard Steyr XL grip due to the screws adjusted outwards to angle the frame.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

I'm late to the party but I thought I'd hime in to note that when I got Rink grips for my 46M, in addition to the fit & feel of the grip, my pistol felt like a different (better) gun. I guess it was the improved balance due to changing the rake; it just felt better, and lighter, though I doubt there was any significant reduction.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Todd,

You were right. The different rake is allowing your wrist to take up more of the weight, so the whole thing feels lighter. Thanks for the comment.

Scrench