Feinwerkbau AW-93 ammo problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ChipEck

Re: Ammo not loading

Post by ChipEck »

ruig wrote:Chip, try to loosen recoil setting screw (bellow muzzle).
Thanks, I will try that.

Chip
ruig

Post by ruig »

ChipEck wrote:
Thanks, I will try that.

Chip
I think it is timing/synchronization problem. Cartridge pops up but slide doesn't open enough.
Possible reasons:
* recoil setting screw fully turned inward
* something wrong with the distance between magazine lips

Less possible, but possible:
* slide return spring is too hard
* weak ammo
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

ruig wrote:
ChipEck wrote:
Thanks, I will try that.

Chip
I think it is timing/synchronization problem. Cartridge pops up but slide doesn't open enough.
Possible reasons:
* recoil setting screw fully turned inward
* something wrong with the distance between magazine lips

Less possible, but possible:
* slide return spring is too hard
* weak ammo
The recoil setting screw must have been installed by a gorilla. It will not budge. I will take to gunsmith.
EdStevens

Re: Ammo for AW93

Post by EdStevens »

Mike Taylor wrote:Thanks for the suggestions for low-cost ammunition. Unfortunately, SK products do not seem to be available in Canada. Federal is though, but please, what is the load number (product number) of that blue box Champion Target ammo?
The Federal Premium web-site shows three Champion Target products in blue box. All are rather zippy - with muzzle velocity 1200fps and more.
Product 711B, on the other hand, is listed at 1080fps. which is more in line with 'standard' velocity ratings.
SK is the brand name from Lapua. It is available in Canada. You can get it from Hirsch Precision (http://www.hirschprecision.com) although it will have to be shipped from the Maritimes.
David M

Post by David M »

At the risk of repeating myself

"The AW93 has a tight chamber, also American ammo is larger in dia than European (different SAMI spec).
Either use European ammo or have the chamber reamed with a match US reamer (eased and polished).
I have now done 9 pistols in Aust on they all work well now with any ammo."

Easing the chamber on the AW93 seems to fix the ammo extraction/feed promblem. This also applies to some Hammerli SP20's.
ruig

Post by ruig »

David M wrote: Either use European ammo or have the chamber reamed with a match US reamer (eased and polished).
What is diameter of US ammo (bullet)?

I measured 50 cartridges geco pistol now: 5,61mm - 5,66mm (0.220866 - 0.222835 inches)
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I tried SK Pistol Match and RWS Special Match today. Both jammed multiple times.
Found on another thread that Feinwerkbau used a chemical thread locker :-(

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=54258

Chip
Leon

Re: Ammo for AW93

Post by Leon »

ruig wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:The Federal Champion web-site does not even list a 714 product.
The lubricant seems to have thickened and/or hardened - to the point that the rounds no longer chamber easily.
Hm. Hothing to add. May be sepcial deployment for Europa?

My ammo is already 13 month old... and lubricant is dried and hardened. But I still have not problem with it.
Federal 714 is freely available in Australia well - the whole country seems to be awash with it...
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Solved my problem with ammo feeding. Even though I had three brand new mags that all jammed, that was the problem. I opened the back lips that engage the case to almost 1 millimeter wider and the problem went away. I measured and as delivered they were 5.1 to 5.2 mm wide. Opened to 5.85 . Same results on other magazines after I opened them. And for the record I was only using German and England sourced ammo.

Apparently the factory tests the pistols, but never tests the magazines....but my problem is fixed so I am happy:-)

Chip