Compensator sealant on a Steyr LP2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SarahJ

Compensator sealant on a Steyr LP2

Post by SarahJ »

Hi,

On my the end of the barrel on my Steyr LP2 is a thin white sealant which goes against the compensator. Does anyone know what this sealant is?

Many thanks.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

I wondered that too. The two parts are made of different metals - aluminum and steel, there is a high electovalent potential between these two metals and electrolsis can happen. This would cause them to react with a bit of moisture present and become impossible to take to bits. If so the paste used to slow this down by acting as a barrier is zinc chomate paste and is the same colour as the goop we both have found.
If it is this you can get it from yacht chandlers as it is put between stainless and aluminium fittings on a dinghy mast. I did not wipe it off but just cleaned out the air stripper of lead dust and reassembled.

George
SarahJ

Post by SarahJ »

Thanks for your reply George.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of corrosion between dissimilar metals, but the sealant is only on the tip of the barrel and not all over the area of the compensator housing. I had presumed that the sealant was there to ensure that the air following the pellet went through the compensator and not leak around it. I have come across some 'High vacuum grease' which is used to seal pressure housings, it also apparently has the same consistency of the original sealant. I might order some of that and try it.

Many thanks,

Sarah
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

I found it between the alloy part of the air compensator and the stainless inset so guessed, may be wrongly anti corrosion ( I have not had a need to remove the whole thing off the barrel). Left it on and cleaned out crud and reassembled. High vac grease would be good but nothing with an addative like copper or graphite that throws another valency into the mix.

George