Purchasing an air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jacko

Purchasing an air pistol

Post by Jacko »

I'm looking at buying an air pistol but for various reasons my options are limited, so I'm after a bit of advice.

I have a Pardini .22 and without having ever held one I would like to get a K12, but they're a bit pricey and I'm not as willing to spend big money as I was for my rimfire pistol. I've looked at cheaper options like IZH-46M or FAS 604 but I'm just not sure if they'll be satisfactory. I haven't shot air pistol in years and have never owned one but I would expect to be trying to nudge A grade scores.

At the moment I'm regularly reviewing used pistol ads and then researching anything that comes up that seems suitable. I'm also going to check out my club's air range to look at and hold some of the pistols, but higher-end used pistols are rare here and they hold their value and sell quickly.

It's likely I'll be back asking questions about particular used pistols but if anyone has any advice for me at this stage then I'm listening!

Actually one of the pistols I was considering was a FEG GPM-1 but I read that there are issues with leaks. Some people have been able to fix them but this will be my first pistol and I'm no gunsmith so I didn't think it was a good idea.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Currently looking into a Steyr Mannlicher Match LP. Judging by Google image search I am assuming this is similar or identical to a Steyr LP-1. Is there any difference? From what I've read, I should be looking for a 'newer' one with a compensator and aluminium cylinders. I've pieced a lot of this together so let me know if I'm wrong. It seems to be a good compromise as I still want a quality pistol but just don't want to pay $2200+. I don't mind if it's old.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Jacko wrote:Currently looking into a Steyr Mannlicher Match LP. Judging by Google image search I am assuming this is similar or identical to a Steyr LP-1. Is there any difference? From what I've read, I should be looking for a 'newer' one with a compensator and aluminium cylinders. I've pieced a lot of this together so let me know if I'm wrong. It seems to be a good compromise as I still want a quality pistol but just don't want to pay $2200+. I don't mind if it's old.
I think the LP match is the same as the LP1, but it could be an even older model. I'd perhaps avoid unless it's been upgraded to the LP1, and has the removable (air) cylinder.

You may find a used LP2 so dont discount that if the price is right. I'm guessing used LP10's will be too pricey for you as they hold hold their price pretty well (certainly in the UK).

Rob.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Thanks Rob. It definitely has removable air cylinders as it comes with two... I didn't realise there were un-removable ones to be honest. I'll try to do a more comprehensive search to determine if they are different. If it's just a precursor to the LP-1 and has steel cylinders and no compensator then it probably is something to avoid as you said.

I know there are some serious Aussie shooters here - if any of you know someone who is selling or has advertised a quality used air pistol, let me know!
morten

Post by morten »

Jacko

In the Facebook groupe called: 10 Meter Air Pistol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/31123916405/

There is a guy named Scott Tompkins from Sydney, Australia who has a Steyr LP10 for sale at $1600, maybe you can bargen some more :-)

He also have a couple Feinwerkbau P44 for sale
Rover

Post by Rover »

There are many in your shoes who think the latest PCP guns are a "must have."

Because of this, you can get an equivalent quality CO2 gun very cheaply. Olympian and World Champion Don Nygord said, "These didn't turn to doo-doo overnight."

MY choice (if you can find one) would be a SSP, such as a Pardini K58 or FWB 100, 102, or 103, or Walther LPM1. They might be cheaper overall since you need no extras. They would certainly be the equal of the top PCPs, both in accuracy and quality.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:They would certainly be the equal of the top PCPs, both in accuracy and quality.
Agreed, but certainly not in the ease of shooting consistently good scores.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

morten wrote:...has a Steyr LP10 for sale at $1600, maybe you can bargen some more
Thanks morten. Interesting to check out that group and I'll look into it a bit more. It's still a bit high for me but $1600 is not bad at all for an LP10 since we get stooged big time over here for Steyrs. A new one is closer to $3000.
Rover wrote:MY choice (if you can find one) would be a SSP, such as a Pardini K58 or FWB 100, 102, or 103, or Walther LPM1.
I wouldn't mind an SSP. Of those I was only aware of the K58. Thanks Rover.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Morten I see the owner of that LP10 has put it on a used guns website here. It has an after market XL grip which makes it tempting because I have big hands and will almost certainly have to regrip any other used gun I buy.

But then if I stretch that far maybe I could stretch another $600 to a new K12... but then this whole exercise spirals out of control again. I started off looking at an Izzy for $600. I'll have to think about it some more.
morten

Post by morten »

Jacko, you will never go wrong with an LP10 :-) I have one myself

They cost $2500 here in Norway, same as the Walther LP 400 I just bought for my son.

Offer the guy $1400 and see what happens.

Sell your bike, Ipads and crocodiles to raise the funds and be a happy AP shooter :-)
conradin

Post by conradin »

If you plan to buy one and then move up later, follow Rover's suggestion. FWB65 is the best, then look for IZH etc.

If you plan to buy one and that's it. Buy the most popular and competitive model. In that case Steyr LP10 or Morini CM182Ei. Ifyou sell them you get your value back, if you have problems plenty of people can help you out to repair or adjust before you even need a gunsmith.

So you just have to look at this as either a sport investment issue, or financial investment issue.

If you would like to start off into the world of drag racing. Would you like to start off with a Honda Civic, or a custom Hemi?