Red Dot - Seeing 3 dots shooting indoors?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

gun.nutsy

Red Dot - Seeing 3 dots shooting indoors?

Post by gun.nutsy »

Just started conventional shooting and enjoy it alot. What hinders me is when I use red dot (matchdot - ultradot) indoors, I'm seeing 3 small dots/like an asteroid/comet; I tried using my prescription glasses and even tried using a higher grade, but doesn't seem to help; used a diopter and seems to help a little... When I shoot outdoors, no problem.

Any expert advice would be appreciated...

Thank you
GOVTMODEL

See an Optometrist

Post by GOVTMODEL »

IMHO, you most likely have astigmatism that needs correction.

In the Bay Area, Dr Norman Wong is the man to see.
dstates

Post by dstates »

gun.nutsy...

I have a similar problem and was actually at an eye appointment to discuss it with my eye doc yesterday. I took in my red dot with me. He was more than willing to help. We figured out that it wasn't my astigmatism, but when my pupil is larger (like when indoors) I would get what I call 'flares' coming off the dot. If he put a light near my eye and my pupil would get smaller the dot became very clear. This may or may not be the issue you have.

To deal with it, I'm going to see if I get the 'flares' when shooting outside (been inside all winter). He also wrote a prescription with a -0.75 correction for shooting glasses. This is the opposite of what you would do for iron sights. By going with the -0.75 overcorrection he says my eye will have to focus more causing my pupil to get smaller. We tried the -0.75 in the office and it did help. These would be for shooting only. I'm not sure what it will do over a long day of shooting, but I think I'm going to try it.

I've read alot of Dr. Wong's articles online. If I was in the Bay Area, I'd go to him.
gun.nutsy

Fuzzy Red Dot

Post by gun.nutsy »

Thank you for your helpful advice; I made an appointment w/ Dr Wong....no more alibis
dstates

Post by dstates »

gun.nutsy

I hope he is able to help you out. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what he says I would appreciate it.

In case you haven't read his articles, here is a link to them.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html