Problem with Pardini HP/new 32S&W (mechanical)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
crocan

Problem with Pardini HP/new 32S&W (mechanical)

Post by crocan »

.....Last weekend I went to club to shoot my Pardini HP new/32S&W . I tried two type of ammo : Sellier & Bellot , and Fiocci . Sudenly , gun loaded with S&B 32S&W ammo started to shoot double shots (and auto too!). Fiocci 32S&W ammo was fine without any problem .
One club member told me that it coud be issue with "soft primer" . Another friend told me that it is problem with sear adjustment . His recomendation was - to turn the sear screw "CP" (CW dir.) till the hammer falls. Then the screw back 1/3 of a turn (CCW dir.) . I adjusted that screw even 1/2 of the turn (CCW dir.) but problem is still there .
From my point of view this is BIG safety issue , and I won't shoot it untill properly udjust for any type of ammo .
Also , does anybody have experience with same problem ?
Please advice how to fix it ?

Thank you in advance .
Crocan
David M

Post by David M »

Could be a number of problems,
- sear engagement
- firing pin return spring
- broken firing pin
- chamber head space (rim clearence)
If it is only happening to one brand, start with case to chamber fit/headspace.
Needs a good examination.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Sear engagement should not be a problem with the Pardini, that trigger is really very stable. I would take a very close look at that ammo; never heard of, and never shot S+B .32, but we had some strange phenomenons with 9mm S+B... And Davids idea about the firing pin could be an option, too. Check if it protrudes from the slide face (could be due to dirt, or too long by factory, or broken).
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Sear adjustment or firing pin/firing pin spring problem.

There is no need to set a Pardini sear for minimal engagement, mine has at least 1mm and I can't feel it moving.
PFribley

Pardini 32

Post by PFribley »

Buy a box of Lapua and see what it does.
crocan

Pardini HP

Post by crocan »

Hi PFribley,
I tried GECO (made by Lapua) , and doesn't feed at all . Only works fine with
Fiocci .
crocan

Post by crocan »

HI james ,
Could you pls. explain in details how to adjust that "1mm gap".
Manuals are terible without any good pics. or drawings.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

to my knowledge geco is not made by lapua... geko is owned by ruag who also owns rws.
the only lapua made .32s&w wadcutters i have seen were a box of zenith branded ammunition but with very few info on the box .... (it was a red and white box).
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I've used the S+B in both 32 ACP & 32 S&W with no problem. What I'd like to know is what does the firing pin and the firing pin spring had something to do with a double shots. Please advice. Thanks.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

If your firing pin is too long, broken, or the spring too weak, the pistol might fire when the slide closes, like an old machine pistol with a protruding firing pin.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

That makes sense. It could also be that the first stage weight is a bit light that the sear could not catch the hammer correctly which caused it to fire one more time.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Assuming:
You have a new HP
You have checked the firing pin isn't broken or stuck forward

Refer page 35 of the manual
http://www.pardiniguns.com/templates/pa ... l_2010.pdf

Remove the Grip
With the gun UNLOADED but cocked, from the left side of the gun you should see the sear and hammer engagement
Adjust Screw CP (visible from the rear of the gun) anticlockwise to increase engagement
Also check screw PP (visible from the top, just in front of the rearsight) is compressing the sear spring, maybe adjust it a little (clockwise to increase) to be sure.

Another way to adjust the sear is - with the gun cocked - turn screw CP clockwise until the hammer just releases, then turn it anticlockwise to give however much margin you feel comfortable with, 1/2 a turn, a whole turn etc
I'm comfortable with ~1mm overlap between the parts, I know this is considered a lot but the friction is imperceptible so it doesn't bother me.

There is a small chance there is dirt between screw CP and its stop.

Failing that there could be something wrong with the sear angles, hardening etc causing it to release too early.
crocan

Post by crocan »

Thank you all
Rover

Post by Rover »

Disassemble for a thorough cleaning; frequently there is all kinds of crap left in a new gun from its manufacture.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Assuming the trigger mechanism is pretty much the same as the SP New, you may find the drawings here useful:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=19268
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Geco is made by Fiocchi.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Geco was part of Dynamit Nobel, whose ammunition department (small arms stuff) was bought up by RUAG in 2002 and now runs under RUAG Ammotec. No way in hell is that stuff made by Fiocchi, and neither by Lapua. If you don't believe it, check out the cases, you can actually measure the difference. RUAG also acquired and then shut down Hirtenberger, which is why you can't get that anymore.
Murph

HP

Post by Murph »

My HP did the same thing. It was just a trigger adjustment. The 2nd stage was too short. I lengthened it 1/4 turn which fixed the problem. This was all at the advice of Pardini USA.
It was nerve racking at first. The adjustment took a few seconds and has permanently fixed that issue.
crocan

Post by crocan »

Hi Murph,
How much is clearance between trigger nose & the ball in the 2nd stage engagement outer screw (CS).
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

The pardini is odd in that it has two second stages
- after the trigger bar contacts the sear and starts disengaging
- after the trigger nose hits the ball detent and changes the apparent trigger force
Either can start before the other

In most pistols the ball detent equivalent bears on the sear, so they occur at the same time