What is difference between a 8002 and 8002 S2?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

USMC0802

What is difference between a 8002 and 8002 S2?

Post by USMC0802 »

Is there any difference or just a couple digits added to have a new model?

Any idea the approx years each came out if different?

Are they worth the same or should one sell for more than the other?

Thanks for any info
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

If i'm not mistaken, I remember reading somewhere that the S2 models have an improved recoil absorber, faster lock time, and are more efficient. The high school I coach at has both 8002's and 8002 s2's(both wood stock) and honestly, I can't tell the difference. If there is one, it's very marginal(maybe it's a placebo?).
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

The "S2" versions have a more efficient regulator and get more shots per fill. The air burst is said to be more uniform, and hence more accurate. I don't know if you can measure that, but taking the cylinder out less frequently for fill is cool.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

thanks for clarification
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Hi all,

the 8002 and the first 8002 S2 had no absorber or from Anschutz so named stabilizer. Only the last build 8002 S2 have this part, but all 8002 can upgraded with this stabilizer and to the S2 version.

From the Anschutz site:

The S2 version has improved air flow characteristics and needs about 50 % less
impact energy to open the valve when firing the shot. Thus the air rifle barreled action
is subjected to almost no vibrations. This could be reached by changing the following
components:
1. Valve body and valve (the valve body is coated with gold)
2. Action head (visible from the golden coating)
3. Improved cocking piston
4. New spring box
5. New pressure regulator

Regards

Frank
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Thanks Frank,
that is great info. The factories don't even put out that kind of info very easily when trying to sell their guns. Guess they don't have to though since all they have to do is say they replaced their old version with a new one and you have to have it. I wanted the info because I am considering selling a spare S2 and needed to know if I was pricing it appropriately.
Thanks again for all the info. Will also be good info to know in the future when I'm advising younger shooters looking at older guns. I'm sure they both will shoot a 600 just as easily in the right hands with the right pellet.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Its always intrigued me that Katrina Emmens won the air rifle gold at Athens with an old Anschutz 2002 which has no recoil absorber.