S&W M52 Reddot too heavy on slide? Need advices

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Haemmerli208s

S&W M52 Reddot too heavy on slide? Need advices

Post by Haemmerli208s »

Hi Folks,
after some time a new question to the Shooters in the USA. John Chernick from BME told me my S&W M52-2 may be not appropriate for his frame mount (I would prefer the frame mount) because the tiny grooves may be to flat on my S&W M52-2.
I use already a slide mount from him (good work) but have concerns the weight from the mount including the Aimpoint H1 is too high permanent. I have to use 38WC on the higher level of pressure to avoid not repeating of the slide. Normal ammunition which works with normal rear sight are to weak for repeating.
Any advices would be appreciated. Is there any other frame mount producer than John or am I only too worried?
uwe from Germany

FredB

possibilities

Post by FredB »

If you like the balance of your M52 with the dot at the rear, then you can almost certainly make it work reliably by substituting a weaker recoil spring.

I had exactly the same setup as you do with the BME slide mount, and I did not like the balance. When I told John at BME the measurement of my front grooves, he said the same thing he told you - "too wide". However I went back and remeasured the grooves and found that there was only one area that was too wide, not the whole length of the grooves. I carefully filed that area and ordered the BME frame mount with the largest dimension. It just barely fits, is very solid, and makes the gun's balance much better for me. I like it much better than the slide mount. You might try remeasuring your gun's grooves to see if you can do the same.
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

I shoot my 52-2 with the slide mount from BME and a 30mm Ultra Dot. I use 2.7 of Bullseye with Remington 148 grain HBWC, this is the standard load for the 52. I do however have a barrel weight that I bought from DJ Precision on my 52. The 52's suffer FTF and FTE from limp wristing and even with the 30mm RD on my slide since I put the barrel weight on I have had NO alibi's or FTF,FTE. My thoughts are that the barrel weight holds down the muzzle of the 52 which in my opinoin is very light. All stock springs in my 52 and no alibi's in over 2 years. Without the RD or the barrel weight I did from time to time have alibi's but those are a thing of the past now.

I was told by the "experts" that I was nuts for using the big 30mm RD on a slide mount. All I can say is it works for me. YMMV

Kirmdog
Haemmerli208s

Post by Haemmerli208s »

When I use the Slide mount I think I have two dissadvanteges in camparison to a frame mount.
1. Sight moves in moment of shooting.
2. I have to use high pressure ammunition to avoid missrepeating.

Second problem I can solve with another recoil. Where can I get one?

The grooves on my M52-2 are very strange. On the very first Milimeters of the right side there is almost no groove at all. Than, after appr. 3-5 Milimeters, the groove becomes deeper so than it is as deep as the groove on the left side.

Maybe I have to talk to John again. Problem also is I can not speak english as good as German to explain the problem. John meant he would not install the frame mount. I think he has a lot of knowledge but I try again to explain him the grooves ;-)

BTW. What kind if mount is this one?

RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Wolff has many springs: http://www.gunsprings.com/home

For the 52-2:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20P ... D58/dID261

I don't know if there might be cheaper alternatives in Europe, but Wolff will ship overseas.

Roger
FredB

Post by FredB »

Haemmerli208s wrote:
The grooves on my M52-2 are very strange. On the very first Milimeters of the right side there is almost no groove at all. Than, after appr. 3-5 Milimeters, the groove becomes deeper so than it is as deep as the groove on the left side.

Maybe I have to talk to John again. Problem also is I can not speak english as good as German to explain the problem. John meant he would not install the frame mount. I think he has a lot of knowledge but I try again to explain him the grooves ;-)

BTW. What kind if mount is this one?

The mount in the picture is the BME frame mount. As you can see, it greatly improves the overall balance. It does need to be removed in order to remove the slide for thorough cleaning.

Your situation with the grooves is exactly the same as what I described above. As I stated, you can carefully file down the 3-5mm section that makes the groove width too wide, so that your gun's groove width dimension will be at (or below) the BME maximum. John can't tell you much more than that.
lakesidemn

Post by lakesidemn »

Kirmdog wrote:I shoot my 52-2 with the slide mount from BME and a 30mm Ultra Dot. I use 2.7 of Bullseye with Remington 148 grain HBWC, this is the standard load for the 52. I do however have a barrel weight that I bought from DJ Precision on my 52. The 52's suffer FTF and FTE from limp wristing and even with the 30mm RD on my slide since I put the barrel weight on I have had NO alibi's or FTF,FTE. My thoughts are that the barrel weight holds down the muzzle of the 52 which in my opinoin is very light. All stock springs in my 52 and no alibi's in over 2 years. Without the RD or the barrel weight I did from time to time have alibi's but those are a thing of the past now.

I was told by the "experts" that I was nuts for using the big 30mm RD on a slide mount. All I can say is it works for me. YMMV

Kirmdog

Kirmdog - did you use the JD Precision's standard weight of 130gr? I just mounted a 30mm on my 52-2, so I am planning ahead! Thanks. Steve
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

lakesidemn wrote:
Kirmdog wrote:I shoot my 52-2 with the slide mount from BME and a 30mm Ultra Dot. I use 2.7 of Bullseye with Remington 148 grain HBWC, this is the standard load for the 52. I do however have a barrel weight that I bought from DJ Precision on my 52. The 52's suffer FTF and FTE from limp wristing and even with the 30mm RD on my slide since I put the barrel weight on I have had NO alibi's or FTF,FTE. My thoughts are that the barrel weight holds down the muzzle of the 52 which in my opinoin is very light. All stock springs in my 52 and no alibi's in over 2 years. Without the RD or the barrel weight I did from time to time have alibi's but those are a thing of the past now.

Kirmdog

Kirmdog - did you use the JD Precision's standard weight of 130gr? I just mounted a 30mm on my 52-2, so I am planning ahead! Thanks. Steve
I used Don's (DJ Precision ) standard weight for the 52. I'm luck and get to shoot with Mr Johnson with our indoor league. He makes a nice trigger shoe also for the 52. I put one on and it helps because I have large hands and the trigger shoe helps me position the trigger finger properly.

I also put a small nylon "BB" between the frame and the set screw that holds the weight on. I really cranked it down and the weight has not moved nor did I put any marks or scratches on the frame from the set screw. A friend of mine did not put anything between the frame and set screw and he has a problem with the weight coming loose during matches. Definitely not a fault of the weight, more of a problem of him not wanting to torque down the screw and scratch his frame. A nylon insert of some sort between the screw and frame is the way to mount this weight and torque it down so it doesn't damage the frame in any way.

Image[/img]
lakesidemn

Post by lakesidemn »

Kirmdog wrote:
lakesidemn wrote:

Kirmdog

I used Don's (DJ Precision ) standard weight for the 52. I'm luck and get to shoot with Mr Johnson with our indoor league. He makes a nice trigger shoe also for the 52. I put one on and it helps because I have large hands and the trigger shoe helps me position the trigger finger properly.

I also put a small nylon "BB" between the frame and the set screw that holds the weight on. I really cranked it down and the weight has not moved nor did I put any marks or scratches on the frame from the set screw. A friend of mine did not put anything between the frame and set screw and he has a problem with the weight coming loose during matches. Definitely not a fault of the weight, more of a problem of him not wanting to torque down the screw and scratch his frame. A nylon insert of some sort between the screw and frame is the way to mount this weight and torque it down so it doesn't damage the frame in any way.

Image[/img]

Thanks for the tip on the weight! That trigger shoe also looks like a great idea. Did you have to take the gun apart, or does it just slip over? Thanks. Steve
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

Trigger shoe just slips over and is held by 2 allen head screws. Just like most trigger shoes.

Kirmdog
Andre

Post by Andre »

If you need a lighter spring and cant find one, McMaster-Carr probably has one you need. You will have to specify spring length, with, wire size, material, etc.

www.mcmaster-carr.com
Haemmerli208s

Post by Haemmerli208s »

Hi Andre,
thank you for the hint. I guess I will order a spring at Wolf. I only do not yet know if a weaker or a stronger.
The original fixed rear sight weights 28gramms. I have removed it and installed a slide mount from BME which has appr. 16 gramms. Than the Aimpoint Micro which has 110 gramms. This is a surplus weight of 98 gramms. When I use with Reddot on slide 2.9grains of Rottweil P801 (same a Bullseye, 148 grains WC H&N Bullet) slide does often not close and the empty shell is jammed. Not until 3.4 grains it works reliable. I do not want to use that much propellant. So do I need a weaker or a stronger recoil spring to reach a relaible repeating and closing of the slide?
uwe from Germany