height correction on multiple bull targets

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pratt2208

height correction on multiple bull targets

Post by pratt2208 »

I was curious as to how everyone adjust to the different height of bulls when shooting on outdoor targets such as A50/51. Especially in prone I know there are many ways to do it I was curious as to what might be the best one in a match.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I shoot outdoor targets in a "U" shape starting from the left. This means I'm only adjusting my NPA in one direction as I move diagrams.

Jason
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

I do the same thing as pratt, usually starting on the top left record bull and going down, right and up to shoot the target. To change my NPA, I shift my body , but not my elbows. To move the NPA up, I shift back on the mat slightly, and to move down, i shift up (towards the target). To move the NPA left, shift right, and to move right, shift left. You should check your NPA whenever moving from bull to bull, and check it each shot to make sure your position is still good.

Patrick
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

For prone I move across the top row left to right, then the middle and lastly the bottom row in both indoors 10-bull cards and outdoors 6-bull setups @50M. There are alternative methods which involve smaller movements, but as long as you check your NPA on every diagram, and again every shot, it doesn't make a whole heap of difference. I figured we tend to slump in position as we shoot hence why I go top down.

Rob.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

I also shoot in a U starting at the top left. Never move in two directions at one time.

With scope I sight in on the left S and go straight down for the left two bulls and then get out of position readjust the sling and start over sighting on the right S.

Rob brings up a good point. Some targets have 6 bulls with two sighters. In that case I do the same thing with those as with scope. That is start over after shooting the left side.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Here in the UK we do a lot of shooting at 25 yards with 10 spot targets. As these are two rows of three (top and bottom) and the center row with two aiming marks many of the more prefered methods require you to move diagonally. One of the more popular was a reversed N on the left, followed by a N on the right, starting at top left and finishing at top right. I used to do the move the body then check NPA routine for each shot

I no longer shoot prone, but the latest thinking seems to be to set up with the basic position having the NPA somewhere near the center of the top row. You then move along the top row (either direction it doesn't really matter) by using small changes in the placement of the right elbow (for a right handed shooter). Forwards/backwards movements will move you left/right respectively, while left/right movements move you up/down (I think). These elbow movements also make fine tuning NPA easier as you are not constantly shuffling the whole body around. Movement from row to row is still achieved by moving the body position forwards, moving the elbow out far enough to go from top to bottom on the card may let the position sag a little in ways you do not want. While moving the body forwards tends to tighten the position a bit anyway. This will work just as well for 50m three card shooting as it does for our 25 yard 10 spots.

Alan