Use of rear iris polarizers and filters

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Invictus87

Use of rear iris polarizers and filters

Post by Invictus87 »

I just picked up an Anschutz 9565 rear iris off ebay, and am trying to figure out how to use the polarizers. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any sort of manual for it online. According to the Anschutz description, it has full polarization, and dual polarizing discs. Is this one of the models that adjusts light through sight, and light through front sight independently? I thought that adjustable polarizers always had two discs, that were rotated against each other.

If rotate one of the polarizing discs in, leaving the other swung out of the way, it doesn't seem to do much. It's only when I rotate both in that I see any significant change. Am I misunderstanding this, or do I need to bring it out to the range, instead of looking at a white wall in my apartment?

I'm the only guy at my range who shows up with an Anschutz, so it's not like I have many people local to ask.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Take the single polarizer mode and point it at a parking lot with a bunch of cars reflecting back at you, or perhaps a body of water. Then you will start to see the difference.

When looking down range use one polarizer to maximize contrast then if there is enough light left you can use the second to fine it.

You may find the polarizer takes away too much light on all but the very brightest of days.

'Dude
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Dude says, one polariser is to reduce the glare, use two together and it works like a variable neutral density filter - i.e. it just cuts out more and more light. I'd be suprised though if you'd ever have enough light to want to use the two together, in my experience it just makes everything way too dark.

Rob.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

I have the same polariser as you have but as Rob says to use two together the light would have to be extremely bright.
I only use the front one on it's own when the sun is shining on the target to reduce the glare
Invictus87

Post by Invictus87 »

OK, thanks guys. The way my range is oriented, the sun comes from behind the firing line in the afternoon, which is when I'm usually there. If one polarizer works, I'll just swing the other one out of the way. I'm looking forward to taking it out and trying it. Just need to rain to stop, and the sun to come out.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

An old thread I know, but it seems appropriate to use it to add my recent experience with filters in the hope that someone may profit from it. My 68 year old eyes had been having considerable problems with glare off the target from the very bright lights at our indoor range. I bought - at no little expense - a Gehmann 568 rear iris and found that for once the expenditure was justified. The combination of the anti-glare polariser (the one without the four ship's wheel style spokes) at the lowest of its three marked settings (I know it is infinitely variable) and the lemon yellow filter has removed all the glare and left as good an image of the black circle as my somewhat defective right eye is likely to achieve. (Sorry if this seems like a plug for Gehmann.)
Andre

Post by Andre »

I have a Gehmann diopter with polarization, adjustable iris, and brightness (same as polarization?) and I usually keep the polarization off unless I'm at Perry and the suns blaring. Indoors the polarization is too strong, indoors I just use the adjustable aperture for setting light brightness.