Hammerli light primer hits.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
spektr

Post by spektr »

I had 3 misfires today shooting CCI SV in my Hammerli Free pistol. 2 different rounds were struck twice 180 degrees from each other failing to go off. Another one was struck twice, 180 drgrees from each other and it did go off on the second try. Wolf Match Target and Ely Target have exhibited no issues..... This gun has been really reliable to date..... Are there any mechanical checks I might need to do, or am I just being an overly anal engineer with bad ammo??? Thanks..
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi,

What model FP are you using? If it's a striker firing model, such as 150, 152, 160, 162, FP10, or FP60, the coil striker spring is probably worn out. You'll need a replacement. The breechblock is removed and disassembled to get at the spring.
Pretty easy fix!

Best Regards,
Jim
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have a 106
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

6string wrote:... the coil striker spring is probably worn out. ...
Easy to determine this. If the cartridge strike is shallow, the spring is weak. If a normal strike, it's the ammo. Even CCI has QC challenges occasionally, so don't rule that out.
FredB

or?

Post by FredB »

Another possibility is that the CCI, being longer than the Euro ammo, is occasionally not seating fully in the tight Hammerli chamber. That situation can cause light first hits and then ignition on the second hit.
Rover

Post by Rover »

This happened to me five times yesterday with less than a box of old Remington stuff. I switched to CCI and it worked perfectly.

I would first suspect your ammo.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Get some high quality ammo (Eley Match, Lapua, RWS R-50) and test.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi Spektr,

For the 106, two possible causes are a weak mainspring or a worn/improperly shaped firing pin. That's assuming you've used CCI in the past and this is a new problem. I've found CCI to be a bit oversized for use in a number of Hammerli FPs. I don't use it at all since I don't like the extra force required to seat the cartridge.
Also, as Fred said, it's not uncommon to find bad lots of 22lr with unreliable priming.

But, if you've been using CCI successfully until recently consider the following:
Some Hammerli 100 series Fps had a firing pin with a round tip, while later ones usually have a sharper chisel tip. The latter type is much more reliable.
Have a look at a fired case to determine the shape and depth of indentation.

If you've stored the Hammerli with the action closed and cocked, there is a good chance your mainspring has weakened. In any case, that's something to consider from a preventative standpoint, even if your particular issue is just the CCI ammo.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Thanks all for the help.... I will have a new supply of Ely tomorrow, and hopefully this resolves the issue..... Scott.
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

I have a 104 and 106 Free Pistol.
I had a similar problem at the recent Open Competition, when our weather was exceptionally hot. (Around 40C - 102F) I was using Fiocchi ammo, and had to change to Grecko green pack. However that did not work either.
It was striking the shell, but not hard enough to set it off. I disassembled the gun, and I found that the striking spring section was too dry, so I cleaned and lubricated it, and reset the main spring and checked the firing pin. Everything was in order.

It is common, apparently, in these 2 models, to have a very tight breach, so you have4 to make sure the breach is very clean, and the bullets are easy to fit in, and eject the empty case.
I have found that my CCI ammo is getting a bit old and the wax is drying out.
A good service with the gun, and try out different ammos might solve the problem. Good luck, and let me know how your go. Alex.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I have the 100, and indeed the breech area is extremely tight. I actually have to do a minor, quick cleaning of the chamber after a couple of shots.
Ironically, the East German clone, the Buehag, never have that problem.
conradin

Post by conradin »

6string wrote: If you've stored the Hammerli with the action closed and cocked, there is a good chance your mainspring has weakened. In any case, that's something to consider from a preventative standpoint, even if your particular issue is just the CCI ammo.
Thanks for the tip, I also store it closed and cocked, I am not going to do that anymore.
Last edited by conradin on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Eley and Wolf run flawlessly, CCI is too snug and I suspect thats the entire issue... Thanks again..