Pellet Weight Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian Lafferty

Re: Pellet Weight Question

Post by Brian Lafferty »

paw080 wrote:
Brian Lafferty wrote:Pellet weights for pistol clearly vary by manufacturer. For example
Vogel 8.1gr
RWS 7.0gr
H&N 7.5gr

Is there a real or theoretical reason for this? Will some brands of air pistol prefer different weights. Just wondering......I miss regardless of the weight.
Good shooting,
Brian

Hi Brian, in addition to the excellent responses to your original question; I

have something else for you to concern yourself with. That would be the differing

head sizes available from the many pellet manufacturers. Which head size

would you choose along with the pellet weight that you select?

Tony
Ha! I've been waiting for someone to bring that up. Cost is more the issue for me. Love those Vogel 4.5s, eh? ;-)
Cheers,
B.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I'm trying to find the test that was done shooting groups all from a vise where on one of the tests the pellet skirt was intentionally deformed before loading. The results of that group was it still pretty much held the xring!
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Rover

Post by Rover »

To simplify this whole pellet business:

1) It doesn't matter.

2) If it did matter, only the lot # of the pellets matters; not size, not weight, not brand.

3) The accuracy of the lot can only be determined by testing. But then, it doesn't matter.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Rover wrote:To simplify this whole pellet business:

1) It doesn't matter.

2) If it did matter, only the lot # of the pellets matters; not size, not weight, not brand.

3) The accuracy of the lot can only be determined by testing. But then, it doesn't matter.
But, it may matter, if one thinks that it matters.
B.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If they think it matters, then only by doing their own pellet testing will they have a reliable answer. They sure won't find what they're looking for on TT. (But they will get lots of input.)
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

Get back to us when you average 585 or better.

Dr.
conradin

Post by conradin »

It honestly does not matter. For example, when FWB65 was imported into the USA, H&N is recommended, but that is because Beaman imported H&N also. Scott who is a Steyr dealer could have insisted that only Vogel will work well for the LP-10. He did not to my best of knowledge.

I have been using R-10 (rilfe) forever, with the exception of the FWB65 which I use H&N. I have some spare QY which I also use for practice on the Steyr. Frankly I am nowhere near the skill level to even tell you the difference.

As far as I concern the only thing you need to consider about the pellets is whether you shoot indoor or outdoor. Since most if not all competition is indoor, again it really does not matter.
Peter B

Recoil

Post by Peter B »

It seems to me that everyone is testing with the pistol in a vice. This is fine if you have a vice like hold but we don't. Recoil starts when the pellet receives its' supply of compressed air, not when it leaves the barrell. If you think in thease terms it only makes sence to use lighter pellets to help manage recoil as the pellet receives its' charge and leaves the pistol. I bet theres a smart guy out there that can show you the math. Do I think it makes a big difference, NO, but I will take any avantage I can get.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Dr.Lee wrote:Get back to us when you average 585 or better.

Dr.
If that were the standard, this might be a very lonely forum. lol
Good shooting,
B
rmca

Post by rmca »

Brian Lafferty wrote:

Dr.
Good shooting,
B
It´s not the standard for shooting, but it is the standard for being picky with your pellets!

Long story short:

If you must test them for peace of mind do so, but It doesn't matter!
You won't gain any points by switching form one decent brand to another.

So the only rational way to justify pellet testing is to make it a part of your mental training program! :)

Hope this helps
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

rmca wrote:
Brian Lafferty wrote:

Dr.
Good shooting,
B
It´s not the standard for shooting, but it is the standard for being picky with your pellets!

Long story short:

If you must test them for peace of mind do so, but It doesn't matter!
You won't gain any points by switching form one decent brand to another.

So the only rational way to justify pellet testing is to make it a part of your mental training program! :)

Hope this helps
Studies have shown that if a person thinks something helps, it often does. It's called the placebo effect. If someone truly thinks they get better results with one weight pellet, they may well regardless of what pellet tests might show objectively from a gun in a vise. A mean spouse could have lots of fun...................

For me, not much differences regardless of pellet thus far.
B.
PS-the comment responded to had to do with the right to comment here belonging to those shooting certain scores, not shooting. It's a variation on who has the bigger one winning the argument as opposed to the merits of the argument.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

rmca wrote:If you must test them for peace of mind do so, but It doesn't matter!
And if you feel the need to test pellets for your peace of mind, and then feel the need to post in a public forum about it, don't be surprised when people tell you - quite publicly - that you're pissing in the wind.

After all, you asked for it. (Not you, rmca - the colloquial "you".)

I've said it to multiple shooters I know, and multiple times on this forum: wait until you break 575 in two matches in a row, then worry about testing pellets.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I feel that the previous two posts have summed it up