IZH 46m Grips?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tomp

IZH 46m Grips?

Post by tomp »

I bought a IZH 46m and I love it, but I have small-ish hands and the grip is way too big for me. Is anyone making grips for the 46m? Woods and Water Outdoors isn't taking orders. Neither are any of the other places I can find.

Take a dremel to the stock grips until they fit? Maybe, but I don't know what I'm doing or where to buy a replacement set if it all goes horribly wrong. That's scary.

What to do?
jr

Post by jr »

Rink grips are made for the Izzy. I've had mine for almost a year, and I really like them.
They really transform the IZH, and now I like my setup enough that I've stopped looking for another air pistol - so in that sense they're actually saving me money. Or maybe that's just http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purch ... nalization

At any rate, you should read this thread about Rink grips on the 46m:
viewtopic.php?p=191332
Northwestern AP

IZH-46 grips

Post by Northwestern AP »

I was apprehensive about taking a Dremel tool to my IZH-46 as well. But the grips were entirely too large even though my hands are of average size. I think that this is intentional on the presumption that the owner will customize the grips themselves.

I took it slow and 'lived' with the grips as I Dremeled them down. When I got it to where I wanted it I found that it felt drastically better. But the grips were still too smooth. I bought an adhesive no-slip stair step (very similar to "skate tape") from Home Depot for $6 and strategically stuck them on in various locations. If the position or size wasn't quite right I removed it and tried again.

The resulting grip doesn't feel quite as good as my Steyr LP1P primary air pistol, but it's not that far off in its own way.

If you locate a custom grip that you're interested in, I'd suggest taking a crack with the Dremel tool (in small steps) before making the purchase. You might find that a little time and effort will give you what you desired at a better price. It doesn't hurt to have something a little unique that you did yourself.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

tomp

Post by tomp »

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

I saw Jetter55's thread on the grips he made. I hadn't followed up because it sounds like he's not making grips any more. I'll shot him an email just in case. It seems like there are many ex-46m grip makers and few, or only one, current 46m grip maker. That's too bad since it sure feels like there's a demand out there. I haven't even found a source for replacement stock grips now that EAA is no longer selling 64m parts.

I'll steady my nerves and take a dremel to the stock grips. I guess no worries if I'm going to replace them anyway, right?

Thanks again!
rrdstarr

Rink Grips worth the money!

Post by rrdstarr »

I bought a used 46M with a left hand grips. Ordered a XL Right hand Rink and it arrived in 6 weeks. Fit perfect! Worth the money and wait!
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

I think Jetter will still make grips. If you can't get in touch with him, send me an email at shootingsight@nuvox.net. I see him pretty regualrly.
m1963

Thank you!

Post by m1963 »

Last summer I ordered a set of Rink grips for my IZH-46M. They are the laminated version. At the time that order was placed I asked Mr. Rink to include a piece of scrape so a matching charging handle grip could be made.

Well, I tried to make the charging handle grip myself but it did not turn out very well. I contacted Mr. Jetter and he agreed to make it for me. Attached are photos of the result. I am very pleased. (Note, the sides of the grip may look a little dark, now, as I just applied some Scherell's Schaftol so it will match the hand grip when dry.

By the way, it was also determined during the making of this grip that there are two different charging handle styles on the IZH-46M. The one I have has a much narrower charging handle than older ones.

Excellent work from a true craftsman. Thank you!
Attachments
photo 3.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 2.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
photo 1.jpg
rrdstarr

Post by rrdstarr »

Very nice!
I like my Walnut better! LOL!
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Actually, I agree with you. Walnut grips have a much richer look. In Ohio humidity, which literally drips off you during the summer, stabilized laminates hold their shape much better. Cheers.
rrdstarr

Post by rrdstarr »

I know about Humidity! Worked Central American countries for 8 years! My rifle stock was kevlar!!
Rover

Post by Rover »

You're making too much of this. Home Depot (and other hardware places) sell rasps shaped like the end of your finger that fit cordless drills. They're pretty cheap, too.

Buy one of them and start hogging out that wood. So what if you screw up, you'll still be better off than you were.

There's always putty.
poogi

Post by poogi »

m1963,

beautiful grip, can you add a back view?

Thanks.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Before you go carving up your grip, look for one of Don Nygord's notes on fitting a pistol grip. It will give you some idea of what you need to do and why. I must have read it a few dozen times before I took a file to my grip.
And IF you end up carving out too much wood, kneedable epoxy is your friend. You can build up the grip using that epoxy. It sets in a few minutes then you can file and fit it.

gud luk
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good advice from Gary N.

What those pushing new grips don't tell you is that you'll STILL need to fit them. Yes, I mean filing and puttying. You may as well start whacking on the notoriously oversize stock grips and learn something along the way.

You'll probably NEVER stop tweaking the grips. I recall talking to one shooter whose grips were OBVIOUSLY ill-fitting. He told me they were OK because he was used to them. He never could shoot well.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Back view of charging handle grip attached, per request.
Attachments
photo (8).jpg
Jetter55

Still here!

Post by Jetter55 »

All,

I am still making the grip kits - I had stopped for a while due to back surgery. I have a few right handed kits ready now - $60 shipped (had a slight material cost increase). Let me know if you are interested.

Jetter55 pdj@fuse.net
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

looks like it could be easy to make blanks for other air pistols as well.
lp10 comes to my mind (has a very easy square cavity). i could use such a blank to try and make a custom grip for my wife. matchguns and pardini should also be easy . walthers should be a little more difficult.
David W. Johnson

Post by David W. Johnson »

What's involved in the grip kit? I'm interested in improving the grip on my Izzy as well.

David
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

Here are a couple of shots of the kit. Also comes with stainless steel socket heads screws. It will require more shaping than the original grips, but the material is easier to work than wood. There are 17 degrees of added rake.
Attachments
IMG_0055.jpg
rake compares.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg