How difficult is it to increase a Steyr LG110 match to FT

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RFC

How difficult is it to increase a Steyr LG110 match to FT

Post by RFC »

power? I have read some posts indicating that it is not that difficult and that, likewise, it can be converted back to match velocity.

Thanks
RobStubbs

Re: How difficult is it to increase a Steyr LG110 match to F

Post by RobStubbs »

RFC wrote:power? I have read some posts indicating that it is not that difficult and that, likewise, it can be converted back to match velocity.

Thanks
If the regulator is like other steyr airguns then it's a simple turn of a screw to increase velocity. I'm pretty sure though it isn't that simple for switching between FT and match.

Rob.
scrane

Post by scrane »

RFC wrote:power? I have read some posts indicating that it is not that difficult and that, likewise, it can be converted back to match velocity.

Thanks
Although I do not yet have a LG100 I have been reading a lot of posts and this is what I've learned:

You must have a black transfer port or drill out a silver or gold transfer port to 4mm.

You can adjust the hammer spring tension following this procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATFK-Cqoak

It may be necessary to add a spacer (ball bearing) between the adjuster screw and spring to increase striker energy.

The striker and adjuster can be upgraded to the FT style that can be adjusted without disassembly. (about $150. US)

I am still unclear about the regulator. I believe the 120 bar regulator is only necessary for settings above 16 joule. I think the only way you can tell which regulator you have is with a test rig or monitoring shot string velocity falloff vs cylinder nanometer pressure.

As I said, I have no direct knowledge, and would be happy to be corrected by someone with direct experience.
sirius

Post by sirius »

To increase the power from a 7.5 joules target version to a FT model at 16 joules, you need to increase the reg pressure.
Depending on the legal power allowed in the country you live in and the FT class you are shooting in, here in the uk, our power is limited to 12flbs 16 joules.

The reg on the 7.5 and 16 joules version is exactly the same, it's just the pressure that is set differently.
The 16 joule is set at 85 bar and can only be set accurately with a reg checker, you can purchase these from steyr.
If you target model is fitted with a silver or gold transfer port, then it needs to be changed to a black one.
You will then need to increase the velocity via the external adjuster.
If you have not got an external adjuster fitted to your target model you can buy these from steyr too.
Bruno Almeida

Post by Bruno Almeida »

You can adjust the hammer spring tension following this procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATFK-Cqoak

Is there a video like this for the Feinwerkbau P700 Alu Rifle ? :-)

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
RFC

Post by RFC »

Thanks all. Excellent advice.
scrane

Post by scrane »

Sirius:
I am still confused on the pressure settings . What is the setting for the 7.5 joule model and what is the setting for 16 joule. What should be the setting for above 16 joule? Thanks for your help.
Sandy,
Boise, Idaho.
sirius

Post by sirius »

I'm not 100% certain but I think the 7.5 joules reg is set to 60 - 65 bar.
The 16 joules is set at 85 bar,and I think the 24 joules version is set to 120 bar.

But with the 24 joule it's not a matter of just turning up the pressure, you have to alter the reg inside. I wouldn't recommend that you strip the reg down as you may damage a seal inside it. They are very delicate seals, to fit them you need a special tool, especially when enstalling the very small one.
To set the pressure correctly you will need a reg checker which is basically a presure gauge.
scrane

Post by scrane »

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping the lg110 HP I'm expecting next week is set at 85 bar. The gun is used, and the seller has given me mixed signals on how its set up. He describes it as a 7.5 Joule gun but says its shooting at 12 fpe. I plan on shooting down the pressure and see where it goes off reg. If I can get a smooth 12 fpe with good shot count I'll be happy. I'm so excited!
chuckjordan

Post by chuckjordan »

As you increase reg pressure, shot count will decrease. As you increase hammer spring force, shot count will decrease. More hammer spring increases the valve float.

It is a balance.

If you increase the reg pressure and don't increase hammer spring, you'll get erratic (lesser velocity) results.

I hope you understand what you are doing. HPA (high pressure applications) can hurt you. Not scaring you away, but, it's not like taking a bolt out of a bolt action rifle.

Also barrel length makes a difference too. If the barrel is too short (ie 10M application) you'll need more regulator pressure to drive up the velocity. That is why some machine in a longer barrel.

I cut my teeth on an Air Arms ProTarget and a few others. Again, read up what your doing and take detailed notes (ie. turns on reg screws from original position).
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Keep in mind that the field target and high power versions of the LG-110 had a different barrel to the standard Anchutz barrel for 10-m shooting.
The number of rifling twists and length had to be fine tuned to the higher velocity to keep a tight group. At longer ranges and at higher velocities, the group size opened up to much with the 10-m barrel.
scrane

Post by scrane »

Yes, there are a lot of variables, with Steyr being slightly less forthcoming in their specs than in their fine video tutorials. Luckily because of its modular design it is easy to change configuration.
Speaking of which, here Steyr details the exterior power adjuster mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVS7hr3BqXU

I did receive my mint LG110 HP .177 with black body and bright tube and bright 450mm barrel today. It came with the black transfer port and the gauge indicated a green area down to 85 bar. The serial number suggests it was manufactured in 2009. It seems to hit hard so I think it's shooting at least 12 fpe as the seller suggested. It's the one with the cheap black wood stock. If it shoots comfortably with a low mount scope I'll be very happy!
scrane

Post by scrane »

Also, check this forum for lots of information on the LG110.

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/foru ... y.php?f=48