Target height for reduced targets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
argus

Target height for reduced targets

Post by argus »

When training or dry firing on a reduced target at say 5m should the height of the target be adjusted based on the height of the shooter so that the angle of the arm to the target will match what it would normally be at 10m and if so how is it calculated, or is it just not worth bothering with?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

One of the easiest ways of doing this is to get someone to measure the height of the front sight when on aim on a 10m target at 10m distance.

Then you just have to adjust the height of your reduced distance target to give you the same front sight height.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Great tip David!

There is a formula on the USAS site that allows you to calculate this, but it's something one never commits to memory and at least for me, never have handy when setting up a reduced range target.

This is far simpler, thank you.
argus

Post by argus »

Thanks David, the simple ways are always the best!

I've calculated what I think it should be using simple trig so I'll see how close that comes to actual next time I'm at the range.
conradin

Post by conradin »

If you reduction is small (8M from 10M) there is no reason to adjust the target, because the regulation allow a tolerance of the target height.
I do notice that when I used my 8M, my grouping is slightly off. I guess I can adjust the target height, but if my grouping is good, I won't worry about it too much.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:If you reduction is small (8M from 10M) there is no reason to adjust the target, because the regulation allow a tolerance of the target height.
I do notice that when I used my 8M, my grouping is slightly off. I guess I can adjust the target height, but if my grouping is good, I won't worry about it too much.
The original question was about the angle of the arm for training and dry firing. It has nothing to do with regulations.

Training and dry firing should simulate as much of full match shooting as possible (unless there is a good reason for introducing a specific variable into the training regime).