CM 84E new compensator

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
scerir

CM 84E new compensator

Post by scerir »

It appears that http://www.menontitanium.com/ developed a new compensator for CM 84E, called '#10'.
Attachments
dieci.jpg
dieci.jpg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
scerir

Re: CM 84E new compensator

Post by scerir »

And it seems that it works!
Attachments
dieci 2.jpg
dieci 2.jpg (7.32 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
conradin

Post by conradin »

Need to compare groups between this one and the old Morini, and the new Morini compensator.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It may not be the compensator causing the accuracy increase, but a change in the barrel harmonics merely by the weight increase on the end of the barrel.

I'd like to see more testing.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I'd like to see the guy who shoots either of those groups by hand.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Most 40 year old Toz 35s will shoot groups half that size with decent ammo!
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Right on---compensators---what for? If the FP is designed correctly it's a useless appendage, that only adds to the manlihood of the user ( I ain't saying nothing further> "Doc"
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

was that a 100m target shot with eley club or are morinis not very accurate. my toz 35 will put 10 shots with good ammo in about a 10mm group and will do the same with some cheap ammo with the compensator. As to rob-reigl clearly you have never done any testing with a compensator and dont know what you are talking about
scerir

Post by scerir »

https://www.facebook.com/fwb.domino#!/10Compensator

Developed by Carlo Alberto Menon of Titanium S.r.l. together with international shooting champion Francesco Bruno, the #10 compensator improves precision and reduces recoil at once, offering maximum comfort and performance to Free Pistol shooters.

Description
Mounted on Francesco's Morini CM 84 E the #10 compensator contributed to his victory at 2011 ISSF Rifle & Pistol World Cup in Changwon, Korea, and is now going to accompany him at the Olimpic Games in London.

Made in Italy, the black anodized Free Pistol #10 Compensator is designed for the competitor. The #10 Compensator is created out of genuine Ergal alloy, features threaded holes for front sight adjustability, and a simplistic installation for easy of cleaning. A modern clean design for a true shooter.
scerir

Post by scerir »

that compensator "in action" during a competition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU5l8Q_bT-A
conradin

Post by conradin »

Unfortunately Mr. Bruno did not do too well in London.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

scerir wrote:And it seems that it works!
1/ what are the 60- or 100-shot groups like - 10-shot groups are only indicative
2/ what is the condition of the crowning of the barrel? Compensators might mask crowining problems.
scerir

Post by scerir »

(Personally I do not like compensators of any kind. I remember that Sorin Babii removed also the usual standard muzzle and inserted his own very heavy front sight just on edge of the barrel).

I can say that Bruno was developing his '#10' compensator, since 2009.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGo3SarHQjE
Bruno had problems with the 'long' compensator of the 84E because it was too heavy (for him).

I suppose tha crown and the barrel are ok and his pistol can group better than mine (which, in turn, makes one large hole, more or less, at 50 meters).

(I suppose they tested the compensator at 100 meters, not sure though).
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

scerir wrote:(Personally I do not like compensators of any kind. I remember that Sorin Babii removed also the usual standard muzzle and inserted his own very heavy front sight just on edge of the barrel).

I can say that Bruno was developing his '#10' compensator, since 2009.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGo3SarHQjE
Bruno had problems with the 'long' compensator of the 84E because it was too heavy (for him).

I suppose tha crown and the barrel are ok and his pistol can group better than mine (which, in turn, makes one large hole, more or less, at 50 meters).

(I suppose they tested the compensator at 100 meters, not sure though).
Why do you say you dont like compensators?
If it was a case of the crown not being right then It would have an accuracy affect on all ammo. where the compensator helps is on cheap ammo not on expensive ammo.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Muffo wrote: Why do you say you dont like compensators? If it was a case of the crown not being right then It would have an accuracy affect on all ammo. where the compensator helps is on cheap ammo not on expensive ammo.
I do not think compensators improve accuracy FAPP (for any practical purpose). I'm inclined to think that if the crown is broken (it is easy to realize that) one has to replace the barrel (or the crown).

There is a brilliant plot on Igor's blog showing something interesting about FP ....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VL89h8y8Nd4/U ... arison.png

I do not think absorbers (in air pistols) improve accuracy FAPP. But I'm inclined to think that absorbers (and air strippers) are useful for follow-through.

But I'm too old, maybe. So I may be wrong.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I'm not so sure about AP, air strippers may have a positive effect there, because the bullet is so slow. I remember tests by Hammerli in the early 90s showing clearly that the air stripper on the first 480 - which was no comp at all - was very good for accuracy.

As for FP, think Rover is on the right track. 50m rifle shooters have been using barrel tuners for a long time (benchresters for even longer), to "adjust" the barrel harmonics. It's nothing new in FP, either, the tube that came with the Morini CM80 Super does nothing else - it's there to be adjusted on the barrel until the accuracy is the best. The thing is, not many shooters have the ablity to detect the improvmement in precision, and not many have the discipline to do serious testing and choice of ammo, just for FP. And if you don't do that, the whole thing is just something that looks sexy, makes your case too small and moves your front sight out of commonly useful range.

Back in the 80s TOZ35 were sold here (as perthe catalogues of that time) with a guarantee that they would group inside 20mm on 50m, and so were the Hammerlis (150/152) - without mentioning the kind of ammo, of course. I hope that barrel quality hasn't decreased in the meantime (although ammo quality may have, if I think about the interview with Martinov), so the whole absorber/compensator thing only makes sense as a barrel tuner or sheer weight, but not really as something that improves inherent precision. YMMV, of course, and obviously if somebody believes in something, it will help anyway.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I did some tests with my morini ap on accuracy with and without the compensatory and there was no difference. I do believe it helps with follow through. I did a lot of tests with just about every target ammo Icwould buy with the free pistol and I can tell you if you aren't made of money it makes a HUGE difference. If you want to shoot high end ammo all the time then it does nothing. If however you don't want to fork out 60 dollars a training session then it is worth its weight in gold. I had a case of cheap federal that worked out at 1.90 per 50. Without the compensatory it would put 10 shots in a group the size of the 9 ring and the odd one outside the 9 ring. With the compensator on it would hold the x ring. With federal 711bs, they grouped about 10 ring size and with the comoensator it would put 10 shots in an enlarged hole. By far the best and most consistant groups. Even better than tenex and lapua. Was 1 rws dint remember which one that the compensated actually made worse bit virtually all cheap ammo it made a lot better
normalthing

looks good

Post by normalthing »

I like the look of it, but there doesn't appear to be anywhere to buy one, Menon Titanium website doesn't seem to exist anymore! Anybody got any ideas?
scerir

Re: looks good

Post by scerir »

normalthing wrote:I like the look of it, but there doesn't appear to be anywhere to buy one, Menon Titanium website doesn't seem to exist anymore! Anybody got any ideas?
Ask Francesco Bruno, who developed that specific compensator https://www.facebook.com/francesco.bruno.12914