Best Rear Sight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Hi Dennis,

that I couldn't say. I wasn't sitting close enough to the front to speak to the competitors. He was using a patriotically coloured Bleiker, perhaps that was it?

As a genuine question, have any past US International shooters used a Gates? I understand several current team members use the Warner, such as Jason Parker, and recently Mike McPhail, so I presume some have used the Gates in the past.
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Tim -

I reside in the Atlanta, Ga area; not far from Ft Benning. AMU shooters compete at our range often due to proximity and I have shot at Benning a number of times. By far, the two most frequently used rear sights are the Anschutz (with the big bulky block body) and Al Warner's. I have never seen anyone from there with a Gates, but they probably did 50 years ago.

I love the shooting sports because it consists of equal parts technological science and religious fervor. Just ask a question about barrel cleaning.

Dennis L
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Dennis,

or worse, reply to a thread about barrel cleaning!
Dickn52

Post by Dickn52 »

Not to hijack anything, but what is this barrel cleaning thing? Next!
mobarron

Centra Spy rear sight.

Post by mobarron »

Who handles the Centra Spy sight and what's the cost? I agree that the Anschutz is too bulky and I'd love something that really skinny but is there enough adjustment range for US shooting? MOB
bluetentacle

Re: Centra Spy rear sight.

Post by bluetentacle »

mobarron wrote:Who handles the Centra Spy sight and what's the cost? I agree that the Anschutz is too bulky and I'd love something that really skinny but is there enough adjustment range for US shooting? MOB
Any Centra dealer would be able to order it for you. This is frankly a bad time to order European goods given the exchange rate. Expect to pay ~$500 for the sight body. Shop around though.

Yes, it does have more than enough adjustment to get to 100.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Lots of 100 yard shooting here in the UK. But even in continental europe there is a fair amount of 100m shooting happening on a domestic level. Not only that but the US is the worlds largest market for shooting by a huge margin, so most products will be designed to meet the needs of the shooters in that market.

To show the comparative sizes of the markets, I was told that the European wide distributor for Remington took 10 years to sell the same amount of product sold by one Texas based retailer with three stores did in 2 years.

Alan
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

BigAl wrote:Lots of 100 yard shooting here in the UK. But even in continental europe there is a fair amount of 100m shooting happening on a domestic level. Not only that but the US is the worlds largest market for shooting by a huge margin, so most products will be designed to meet the needs of the shooters in that market.
Alan
This may be true for the gun market in general, but the equipment market for competition shooting, particularly position shooting, is a completely different story.

America may have a lot of guns but it's a gun culture of hunters and "plinkers". The smallbore position shooting community here is very small, and the international smallbore community--miniscule. The Germanic countries are the epicenter of international competitive shooting. That's why most of the equipment we use originate there.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

If you are interested in new Sam Gates sights, please contact me via PM.
thx
ken
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Dennis that is truly a mystery for the ages.