LP10 Accuracy, Full Vs 60 Bar

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

LP10 Accuracy, Full Vs 60 Bar

Post by brent375hh »

In an earlier thread there was a post that the LP10 accuracy drops off when the cylinder goes below half full. While I don't have a vise in the house, I did dig out my chronograph out of curiosity. Shooting 10 shots of R10 at 60 bar gets me 520.4 average with a ES of 7.9. When filled to 190-195 bar (scuba not quite full) I get 521.6 average with ES of 7.7.

While the performance might me better with a full cylinder, I am pretty sure I can't tell the difference on target hand held. If I had a vise, I still doubt it. Exhausting testing might also bear out much less difference between the two state of fills.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Not scientific but my LP10E seems to hold center all the way past 7/8s empty. Shots are on call, then it's like a switch when it hits a point where there will be a low shot (you can hear the difference), then they are all low and lower. I guess the regulator is doing it's job.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
therider

Post by therider »

I guess we can compare only results obtained on the vice.
The pictures which I posted are quite clear. The salesman (and shooter himself and also he makes repairing ) said that that was normal ( though I don't know if he meant normal for Lp10 or normal for any lupi).
Because I am a beginner some of the ammunition tests were performed by the salesman/ technician himself, and the results were the same: grouping nearly doubled in diameter, from one single hole for 5 shots to about 7-8mm grouping circle.
So the question is : is this normal?
If it is normal, why shooters at international competition don't change cylinder after 30 shots? May be they get pistols with better air regulators?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Of course they get better guns! They're cherry-picked by the manufacturer and given or sold cheaply to "hot" competitors.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

You might try changing your velocity up and down a tad from your current setting and see if that helps your grouping any.

From what I can see with mine it is consistent enough to be highly competitive as is. I doubt any of my .22 rifles or free pistols with match ammo will shoot as consistent a velocity. Just go shoot some big 10mm groups with it in your hand and have the sights regulated to hit the center of the target.
dronning

Post by dronning »

therider wrote:I guess we can compare only results obtained on the vice.
.., from one single hole for 5 shots to about 7-8mm grouping circle.
So the question is : is this normal?
7-8mm outside diameter grouping is still inside the 10ring (11.5MM) and in fact would still be scoring an X or about a 10.5 on the metric scale.

Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

With such a small sample, plus the error of your chrony I doubt you are actually seeing any statistically significant difference.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Richard H wrote:With such a small sample, plus the error of your chrony I doubt you are actually seeing any statistically significant difference.
I doubt that I am actually seeing any statistical significant difference as well, and was trying to indicate that. My finding was that the regulator is good enough to not hinder anyone's performance. While I can't recall exactly what it was (maybe 9) my IZH had a slightly higher ES with it's "regulator".
David M

Post by David M »

The performance drop off point will depend on what pressure the pressure reducing valve is set too.
The pistol works by reducing high pressure air to a lower pre charge chamber pressure to fire the shot. Once the tank pressure drops to the reducing valve pressure you only get tank pressure, then as tank pressure drops so will the velocity drop.
Not sure what the Styer pressures are set at but it will be similar to the Morini.
I set up the Morini reg's to work at 80 bar (pressure lockout level).
So 200 bar to 80 bar - normal shots at 150 m/s.
Below 80 bar (lockout active) override and shoot, gives about 10-15 shots before velocity is poor and unusable
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

If you refill you cylinder when it gets to the lower limit of the green area, you should not notice any perceivable fall off in muzzle velocity.
If you wait until you are down in the yellow area, then the fall in velocity can happen at any time.
You should be able to get between 140 and 160 shots from a fill up to 200 bar at the upper level of the green and the lower limit of the green.
As a very rough guide, the pressure in the cylinder losses approximately 1 bar for every shot taken, so you could be down to about 60 bar cylinder pressure when you have shot 140-160 shots.
therider

Post by therider »

Strange. Steyr wrote me that I can shoot 120 shots with one cylinder
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

therider wrote:Strange. Steyr wrote me that I can shoot 120 shots with one cylinder
Even stranger, the online manual says 170 shots.