Powder

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Peter B

Powder

Post by Peter B »

Trying to find Bullseye powder and was told it might be discontinued. Anyone else heard this? Only powder I have ever used in my 45 so what are you guys using? Tite Group?
Pat Nemes

Powder

Post by Pat Nemes »

Bulls eye powder is still around but not readily available . I picked up 3 Lbs of it last December at my local Bass Pro. I just keep going back a few times wek in hopes of finding more.

I have not heard or seen anything indicating it's been discontinued.

It's my favorite for shooting cast bullets in the 40 and 45 cal. guns
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

That rumor went around about 5 or 6 years ago also, but then 4 and 8 pounders started showing up again. I expect to see BE again when things start flowing again.

Bulleye is my favorite also, but Clays and 231 also have worked well for me. There are other choices....
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

Bullseye is a gold standard. I cannot see it being discontinued.

Titegroup, N310, Clays, Red Dot, WST etc. all work well.
DLS

Post by DLS »

231 and Red Dot in the .45 for me ... never tired BE. I had good quantities of those two powders when I first began working up .45 loads. I found a couple of good recipes and stopped there.
Last edited by DLS on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mld

BE Powder

Post by mld »

All Alliant powders are virtually non-existent in Canada, I've been told by several dealers minimal amounts were shipped in 2013.

I've found good results with VV N340.
Misny

Post by Misny »

It's just a rumor that has no basis in fact. I can't tell you how many wild rumors I've heard about Camp Perry, guns, ammo and "new laws" over the years. I never realized we had so many nuts within our ranks. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a local shop when they got a shipment of powder. I was there to buy a safe, but as the store employees were unloading the powder, a fellow came in and bought an 8 lb. keg of Bullseye and 3 one pound containers. Either he was a hoarder or flipper, IMHO.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Yesterday there was an 8# jug of Bullseye that had been bid up over $275; I don't know what it finally sold for, but Brownells sold it for $125 when it was last in stock. Right now, there is a 1# container that has been bid up to $72 with more than a day to go. I'm not surprised that flippers are taking advantage of the market, but retailers could at least limit sales to one container per customer.

I was at Sportsman's Paradise earlier today and they had almost no powder at all - a couple of odds and ends and five 1# containers of BMG. Fortunately, I have ~3# BE left, but I'm starting to be concerned.

Roger
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Bullseye like most powder is in short supply after folks who could not find ammo as a result of a buying spike Post Sandy Hook and election got the reloading idea. Alliant can't keep up. Like the AR market, the bottom will soon fall out and the production will catch up.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

What is going to happen if the USA is in a "real" crisis.. if supply and demand is unable to balance itself in times such as now..??
I don't recall a huge shortage during Vietnam, when many, many more rounds, and components, were being consumed daily, monthly, yearly..than now. We can't supply the general shooting/reloading public.. ? I fear, and suspect there is more to this story..During Vietnam, the steel industry I worked for made shrapnel and flechettes.. Those machines ran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.. More employees and machines were added to meet demand... We are now, not meeting the demand..It's a warning sign to me.
Jerry
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Jerry -

[rant]There is no shortage per se. The problem is not meeting the demand of consumers but the demands of hoarders. There is enough production for every user to have a reasonable supply on hand as shown by the stability of the market before the panic. However, once enough users decide that a 6 mo. supply is not enough and should have at least a 4 year supply in stock, panic buying starts and there is no way to keep up. It's like going to a grocery store the day before a big snow storm is predicted. You can't get white bread or toilet paper because everybody needs to stock up just in case they can't get out for a few days. (I always wonder how many households expect to go through a case of toilet paper in a few days.) Of course, once one supplier hangs out the "We ain't got no more" sign, the panic ramps up and the problem gets worse. Even someone who is sensible and knows that this is just a matter of people shooting themselves in their collective foot is going to join in out of prudence - no point in getting screwed just because you are the one logical person in a land of nitwits.

And the hoarders create the opportunity for profiteers who aggravate the problem. Considering what BE is going for on Gunbroker, if a local gun shop gets in a half-dozen 8# canisters in stock they will sell to the first person who sees them because he knows he can double his money. And almost anyone who sees the final bid on one of those auctions will not pass up a chance to get in on the feeding frenzy.

Unfortunately, for the manufacturing and supply chain to be prepared to feed the market during an artificial panic would be wasteful and inefficient during normal market periods, so we just have to suffer through these periods of mass stupidity until every hoarder has enough powder in his basement to incinerate his house in 30 seconds flat. The only satisfaction is in knowing that there are some fools who have paid more than twice what they should have and they'll be out of the market for a while.[/rant]

Roger
Peter B

Lemonade

Post by Peter B »

I was just wondering if anyone heard anything, I've ran into this before with WIN 540. I'm sure other powders out there work just as well and we like to stick to what works for us but sometimes we can't. Reason I mensioned Tite Group was that it is available in my area. Anyone used it with real lite loads and had good results. Bullseye I can go down to 3.5 with a 155 head and still have good groups at 25 yards with 100% reliability.
mparker

Post by mparker »

Seems Brownell's has it now.

Years ago I found it to be interchangeable with Unique, less so with Green Dot.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Soon hoarders will see a distinct possibility of themselves losing money as it goes the other way. Then people like me will buy in quantity as the price goes to ridiculous lows as the hoarders flood the market. If you are a shooter it is important to buy in quantity when the market is in this position and have enough to go through about 3 years of difficulty. Here in St. Louis Grafs, Dunns, and Denny Dennis all have powder from time to time and for prices that aren't ridiculous in small quantities. Recently I had to pay $22 for a pound of Accurate #5 because I didn't have any and wanted to use it to test for the 32 ACP. It seems that this powder might be the best and when things get better I will buy 8# for a lot less per pound.