Contender for Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
spelby

Post by spelby »

I am like a lot of shooters that can't afford a $1.5k pistol to try a new sport. If I wanted to try Free Pistol, would a Contender be useable until I find out if I have any talent in the discipline?
If you don't ask, nobody can tell you that it can't be done!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I went that route about 30 years ago, but it was a lot of work. The lock time is very slow, and I worked on the trigger a lot to get the weight down and lightened up everything I could to speed it up. I also made a set of wrap around grips.

The biggest problem is opening the action 60 + times in a match. The lockup is designed to handle some pretty heavy centerfire loads, and the trigger guard leverage takes a fair amount of force. By the end of my first match, I had blisters.

I'd recommend finding a good used free pistol instead. It will cost a bit more than a Contender, but save a lot of aggravation in the long run.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

I used to have a Bauska Drulov 75 free pistol. Decent, maybe even good, introductory pistol with s set trigger, designed for the purpose. Under $400 easily. I've seen some for under $300 recently.

Do a Google search on Drulov Model 75.

There are other, introductory FPs out there too, just can't recall ATM.

I would look for one of these before Rube-Goldberging a Thompson Center. TC has a lot of weight forward where you don't need it (fine for benchrest, but not for off-hand FP). And the minimalist grip and grip angle is not desirable for FP.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The only thing that gun has going for it is it's a single shot.

Spend a little more for a ratty TOZ and you'll be OK.
spelby

Post by spelby »

Good point. I actually had a Contender in 7/30 Waters about fifteen years ago. It was fun to shoot, but having to open the action 60 times during a match would be a drag.

Thanks

Scott
If you don't ask, nobody can tell you that it can't be done!
conradin

Post by conradin »

You maybe better off using a regular semi-automatic target pistol, adjust the trigger to the lightest setting. I have seen quite a few people using semi-automatic for FP matches.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Hammerli 120 sometimes are cheaper than a ratty TO3-35. There are cheap single shot out there...if you are not happy with one you choose, you can always sell the pistol back. My Buhag costs slightly more than a ratty TO3-35 but it is in near perfect condition. There are simply a lot of choices out there.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

conradin wrote:You maybe better off using a regular semi-automatic target pistol, adjust the trigger to the lightest setting. I have seen quite a few people using semi-automatic for FP matches.
I have seen semi-auto pistols used in FP before, and it can be done. But it can be very tedious, because of the rules, which specify that the pistol be loaded one round at a time.

If you don't mind loading a magazine with one round at a time, and removing and reloading the mag after every shot, then it can be done. Not many SA pistols allow enough room to insert a round into the chamber with your fingers.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I've sen someone using a Pardini semi-automatic, not much of a problem, certainly no more trouble than using an FWB65 for AP>