Feinwerkbau 601 or 603

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

brnzbk

Feinwerkbau 601 or 603

Post by brnzbk »

I am contemplating purchasing a FWB 601 and wanting to know the difference between the 601 and the 603. For reference I am 6' 2" , 220lbs.
Is there a difference in length of pull, overall length, or just internal factors such as the recoil system. Would I be giving much up by going with the 601 (mostly used for target shooting and possibly casual competition)?
Thanks for your time,
Gary
dpr

Post by dpr »

I'm 5'11" 185 and shoot a 601. Thin through the shoulders/chest with a medium length neck and it fit's me fine. If your cramped riser blocks will get your head up for more room. My 601 groups one not even a ragged hole with it's favorite pellet so the only real advantage I can see a 603 will give you is a little bit newer rifle, which is not a bad thing. If you bought a 601 the and spent the $300-$400 savings on pellets you would be farther ahead of any theoretical advantage the 603 might give you. But if the price of a 603 is in your budget it's a fine rifle...
brnzbk

Post by brnzbk »

Thanks DPR

I did purchase a 601, just got it today and plan on doing some real shooting tomorrow. I sent a couple of pellets to the target and it functions perfectly.

Looking forward to the 10 meter sport and thanks for your response.

Gary
dpr

Post by dpr »

My 601 likes 7gr Meisterkuglens, it shots them into 1 VERY tiny hole :-)
These are really wonderful rifles to shoot, enjoy!
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

The FWB 603 was fitted with the new recoil absorber as seen on the P-70.
See exploded view on FWB web site.

It also had a more comprehensive stock/butt adjustment and new style fore sight/muzzle weights. Also the back sight is the same model we see on the latest FWB air rifles. Fore sight was also M-18. Early 601 were M-16, but later production were M-18.

I have a very rare left handed 601 in Walnut and with a stippled grip. I got this when I did some part time work for FWB UK.

On a bench rest test with the 601 for grouping, using H+N Finale match 4.49, i got a one hole group with the hole no larger than the head of a pellet. This is just amazing and I could never get that tight with a friends 700, although it might have done with other pellets/sizes.
Love the 601 and love its accuracy and I also like that tiny kick you get with a pneumatic, rather than the 'dead' feel you get with PCP's