Could you share what you learned from SCATT?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Could you share what you learned from SCATT?

Post by seamaster »

I don't have a SCATT, and at present time, have no desire to acquire one.

If you have one, can you share the most important 2 or 3 things you learned from SCATT that you would say you wished you had learned these earlier?
ruig

Post by ruig »

4 years ago I sold my SCATT USB.
Reason: I felt uncomfortable with all those wires around my hand and neck. 30g sensor and "?"g wire definitely cause translocation of center of gravity of a pistol.

Now I want to try wireless version.

To your question:
Reason #1 for me to buy SCATT is visual feedback. If I try something new - I will get visual feedback.
For example - what happens if I concentrate on index finger... body... wrist... hand... or on front sight. Or what happens If I lower my pistol VERY VERY slowly. And so on. Will be the length of the aiming line in the last second before shot shorter/slower?

I find it boring to train with SCATT on a daily basis. Only for experiments.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

I think this is an excellent question. Specifically, should I purchase a SCATT for my daughter and I to use to improve scores? Or, would a SIUS or similar electronic targeting system be of more value? All responses, and opinions, are most welcome!
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The Sius electronic target is very good, but will only give you the position of the shot and the distance from true centre and the group centre, albeit your scores will be displayed as a decimal which could have some merit.
The SCATT however will give you an incredible amount of data about the shot creation, what is happening as the trigger pressure is increased, what is happening as the shot breaks and also what happens during the follow through, or lack of it.
Two totally different electronic devices. It would be great to be able to practice on a Sius or other electronic target, but for considerably less outlay, the SCATT would give you back a lot more useful information which once you learn how to interpret it, will be far more beneficial.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Please forgive my ignorance. What does the SCATT actually tell me that the shot by shot analysis of any other system does not? Respectfully Submitted,
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

m1963 wrote:Please forgive my ignorance. What does the SCATT actually tell me that the shot by shot analysis of any other system does not? Respectfully Submitted,
If you're comparing Scatt with other electronic trainers (like Rika or Noptel) then they all give you similar information about where the gun was pointing before, during and after the shot. In general they are all pretty similar and the choice is really about which hardware suits you better and what others around you have (to give assistance on interpretation.

It is totally different from electronic scoring targets (like Sius, Meyton, Haring, Elite, etc) as they just give you information based on where and when the shot hit the target. They tell you nothing about the shot process, only the shot result.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

John Marchant wrote:The Sius electronic target is very good, but will only give you the position of the shot and the distance from true centre and the group centre, ...
Actually, the acoustic centre.
Spencer

Re: Could you share what you learned from SCATT?

Post by Spencer »

seamaster wrote:I don't have a SCATT, and at present time, have no desire to acquire one.

If you have one, can you share the most important 2 or 3 things you learned from SCATT that you would say you wished you had learned these earlier?
Only one important thing to learn, i.e. whatever a coach (experienced in interpreting the Scatt) will tell you. Then again, lots of hacks make good money out of self-help books...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Scatt really just gives you more information, in a hard format that you can then use. It will show up inconsistencies or poor behaviours but in pistol at least, the vast majority of those observations can be recorded visually by a good coach.

For me I bought mine years ago and almost never used it. I developed my coaching skills and learnt how to better understand and use scatt and I still never use it for my own shooting or training. But I do use it with shooters that I'm coaching. I won't though use it many times a season, as I really use it to monitor my shooters - eg. what is their hold like at the start of each training period (season). So really - is the training working.

Rob.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

You ask for what I have learned, and I think you will get different answers depending on who you ask. I started shooting 3 years ago, with coaching only once or twice a year. We are a couple of shooters who read everything we can, both in our native language (not a lot) and english including fora on the internet. We do not get enough feedback during training and have to apply teory from books into practice by trial and error. I bought SCATT almost 9 months ago, and use it perhaps 2 times a month. Combined with physical training, dry fire and live fire it helps me find areas where I can do a lot better. For me progress is training on what I suck the most at, then change training when I get better. I think for me SCATT saves me a lot of time, but using it is a part of a learning process.It gets more useful as time goes by. In the beginning I just used it as live training hoping for high scores. Today I look for length of trace before the shot, what happens when I pull the trigger, what happens after I pull the trigger, the eliptical factor and so on. This is applied when I change training, like I increase dry fire, increase live fire at white target, change target for horizontal or vertical stripe. It would help a lot more if I had a coach who could help me read the results from SCATT. So I think it is very important for me, but you will have to decide for yourself.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I look at a few SCATT recording. I noticed that best shots have coming down in zig/zag down pattern, not a straight up/down pattern.

I assume that is a pattern picked up by SCATT , it is not an intentional zig/zag pattern used by shooter coming down to hold area?

I tried that small zig/zag pattern coming down INTENTIONALLY today. I was able to hold much steadier. Any validity to that?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

seamaster wrote:I look at a few SCATT recording. I noticed that best shots have coming down in zig/zag down pattern, not a straight up/down pattern.

I assume that is a pattern picked up by SCATT , it is not an intentional zig/zag pattern used by shooter coming down to hold area?

I tried that small zig/zag pattern coming down INTENTIONALLY today. I was able to hold much steadier. Any validity to that?
Nope, almost certainly the novelty factor of trying something new and concentrating more on the task.

If you think logically why would a zig-zag movement be better ? You're using more muscles to make the moves and you're introducing sideways movements that you don't want when on aim. That will just induce fatigue, and of course is also very hard to repeat consistently.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

seamaster wrote:I look at a few SCATT recording. I noticed that best shots have coming down in zig/zag down pattern, not a straight up/down pattern.

if you read back through the responses, there is a common thread - i.e. leave the analysis to a coach experienced in interpreting the Scatt.
Self analysis is likely to do little more than confirm what you want to know, not what you need to know - it is part of the human condition.