ISSF quality trigger weights

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dr.Lee

ISSF quality trigger weights

Post by Dr.Lee »

Is there any place to get weights that meet the ISSF rule book specs.
I have not been able to find any. We are talking pistol; 500 and 1000g.

Dr.
rmca

Post by rmca »

They are a bit expensive.

http://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php?detail=735

I'm sure there are other sites, but this is the one I've bought stuff from before, so I can recommend it.

You can easily make a set using fired pellets melted in a can and a piece of 4 or 5mm wire. It's easier to make two, one with 500g and another with 1000g that trying to make a 500g insert.

Hope this helps
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service sold us the one we have.
http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/
jr

Post by jr »

For a non-toxic alternative, I'd suggest a 500ml plastic bottle and a 1 liter plastic bottle filled with water along with a section of stiff wire (e.g. a clothes hanger) to make the connection between the trigger and the bottle (bent for the trigger, wrapped around bottle's neck).
Using a scale, fill up the bottle with water until you reach the desired weight, then draw a mark on the side of the bottle at that water level for future reference. For 500g, it'll roughly be your plastic bottle + the wire + about 480ml of water. Accurate to within a couple of grams at ambient temperature. If it makes you self-conscious, spray-paint the bottle silver or matte black (leaving a small window open to see the water level of course), re-weigh it after it's painted, and put an "Anschütz" sticker on it.

Kinda not sure about meeting ISSF specs, though. And I'm guessing that if the ISSF does have anything at all to say in this regard it would not be cool with them.

Anyway, there's a nice shiny "real" one for sale on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-grams-Trigg ... 5658b4408a
rigwhanson

ISSF Trigger Weights

Post by rigwhanson »

I was just looking this morning for some and they are on the Brownell's web site listed as Universal weights. The down side they are on backorder. It is a weight set that has weights so that you can setup either for International or NRA weight limits. It goes down to 500g lowest.
RGw
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Watch out for the universal weights. I've never seen a set that has the proper wedge for testing according to ISSF rules. They all use a roller.

Maybe the reason they are on back order is that they are trying to fix that.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

That wedge is the thing. I have never seen any weights with that configuration.
I emailed the ISSF and asked where to buy these. The directed me to their "store". No weights. The woman who replied was a little clueless as to what I was talking about. I directed her to the rules section on how to measure triggers.
I also emailed ISS, still no response as of a week ago.

Dr.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jr wrote: Anyway, there's a nice shiny "real" one for sale on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-grams-Trigg ... 5658b4408a
Having bought items from this supplier I'm pretty sure that will be a Gehmann manufactured weight.

Any Gehmann dealer (aren't Pilkington one) should be able to get you the 500g weight with the slide-on additional 500g.

Look at the Gehmann site product catalogue. They are listed, for some reason, under "Ballistic Test Equipment" and are on the second page.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I bought one, I did a lot of business with Nick, very reliable and very trustworthy. Absolutely accommodating. I decided to only take the 500g one because my Olympia has no trigger weight adjustment setting, so it does not matter. My electronic one, which is not ISSF compliant due to having a rolling plastic tip, is only used to measure trigger weight of my FP, as I tend to set my FP trigger weight as low as 5g.
rmca

Post by rmca »

conradin wrote:My electronic one, which is not ISSF compliant due to having a rolling plastic tip
It´s not only the rolling plastic tip that's at fault, it's mainly the electronic part.

8.4.2.1 Testing the weight of the trigger pull must be done accoring to the
diagrams below. A weight with a metal or rubber knife edge must
be used. A roller on the trigger weight is not permitted. A dead
weight must be used with no springs or other devices.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

The Gehmann catalog shows trigger weights but they appear to have a cylindrical piece that would contact the trigger. Not a very clear photo though; not exactly sure what it is.

Dr.
Rover

Post by Rover »

No need to melt any pellets; just tape the can shut with the exact amount of pellets.

Actually, I would (and have) use a piece of coat hangar and a full tin of pellets. It's plenty good enough for your needs.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

jr wrote: For 500g, it'll roughly be your plastic bottle + the wire + about 480ml of water. Accurate to within a couple of grams at ambient temperature. If it makes you self-conscious, spray-paint the bottle silver or matte black (leaving a small window open to see the water level of course), re-weigh it after it's painted, and put an "Anschütz" sticker on it.

Kinda not sure about meeting ISSF specs, though. And I'm guessing that if the ISSF does have anything at all to say in this regard it would not be cool with them.
JR,
Rather than use a soda bottle, I used a plastic jar and made a hanger with a inexpensive steel rod bent to shape and ground a knife edge on the short end. I find the pellets don't slosh around making trigger weighing easier.
-s
Attachments
DSC00173.JPG
DSC00173.JPG (49.29 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Dr.Lee wrote:The Gehmann catalog shows trigger weights but they appear to have a cylindrical piece that would contact the trigger. Not a very clear photo though; not exactly sure what it is.
It's just a piece of plastic tube that can be removed. I'm pretty sure the weight is calibrated without the tube but, if it's including, then the tube can be pushed out of the way.

Why don't you try asking Olympic Marksman Equipment, as in the ebay link given above. I had some questions on items I was buying and got very quick, accurate, answers.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:It's plenty good enough for your needs.
How do you know what his needs are.

If he wants them for club or competition work then I'm sure he wouldn't want some home made mickey-mouse weights. They belong at home.
Rover

Post by Rover »

OH, BS Levene. It IS good enough for him. 500gm is what he needs. Who cares how he gets it.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

I care how I get it !!
They are for precision work and range operation.
Need I say more.

Dr.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Rover wrote:OH, BS Levene. It IS good enough for him. 500gm is what he needs. Who cares how he gets it.
That depends.

I have a 530 gram weight that I use to check MY trigger so as to be sure no trouble will arise at equipment control. I do never set (or ever have) my AP at 500 grams exactly, that's calling for headache.

But as a ISSF judge, I must have a strict 500 gram weight with a wedge for checking OTHER shooter's triggers.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

renzo wrote:But as a ISSF judge, I must have a strict 500 gram weight with a wedge for checking OTHER shooter's triggers.
Rover seems to think that everyone should accept his (sometimes questionable) standards.
Rover wrote:Actually, I would (and have) use a piece of coat hangar and a full tin of pellets. It's plenty good enough for your needs.
I can only imagine what reaction we would get at our club competitions if we tried to disqualify a shooter when his pistol didn't lift a "piece of coat hanger and a full tin of pellets" home-made weight.

Most competition shooters have somewhat higher standards.
jr

Post by jr »

bummer7 wrote: JR,
Rather than use a soda bottle, I used a plastic jar and made a hanger with a inexpensive steel rod bent to shape and ground a knife edge on the short end. I find the pellets don't slosh around making trigger weighing easier.
-s
Nice.