LP10E malfunctions after 800 shots!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
therider

LP10E malfunctions after 800 shots!

Post by therider »

Great! After only 800 shots the LP10E shoots by itself. When I cock the cocking lever spings back by itself forward or after i close it, thus shooting by itself.
Any idea? Has anybody experienced this problem?
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

Not yet, but I only got mine last Weds. I have noticed the electronic 'double shot' on about 5 occasions so far, but no problems with the cocking lever.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a post, possibly on here, where the cocking level wouldn't stay in the firing position and I'm pretty sure that post included a solution from another shooter.
Steyr LP10 E
Silvershooter

LP10E malfunction

Post by Silvershooter »

Does it fire without pressing the trigger ? It's not clear from your post what is happening.

Have you checked out the service videos at

http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/movies/index.html

Have a look at
Under LP10
Adjusting the barrel.

Under LP10E
Changing the cam (may just need the screw tightening) .
Silvershooter

LP10E malfunction

Post by Silvershooter »

If the cocking lever does not stay in the firing position, that is an easy fix, see the video :- Adjusting the barrel.
therider

Post by therider »

Sorry for not being clear in my post.

No... When I pull the cocking lever backwards, it jumps forward.

Yes without pressing the trigger.

Also I have noticed that sometimes, after cocking, it does not load air and it fires dry. At the beginning I thought it was me forgetting to pull all the way back, but it has happened far too many times now.

Finally, :-(, after about 15 shots, both air containers drop to 100 bars. Is this normal?

thanks
Last edited by therider on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
therider

Post by therider »

Silvershooter.

No, it's not the barrel.
Sorry, I realized that my post is still not clear.

After I cock, the cocking lever does not remain completely open, but it jumps forward by itself.
I guess that the hammer does not remain hooked to the trigger and releases by itself.
Silvershooter

LP10E malfunction

Post by Silvershooter »

After I cock, the cocking lever does not remain completely open, but it jumps forward by itself.
It should move forward only a little way after cocking.
after about 15 shots, both air containers drop to 100 bars. Is this normal?
No, from full it should not drop to 100 bar after 15 shots.

Very strange, there seems to be 2 different faults there, it sounds as though you will have to return it to Steyr.
therider

Re: LP10E malfunction

Post by therider »

Silvershooter wrote: It should move forward only a little way after cocking.
Yes, i know that. It jumps forward nearly till it closes and at the sametime I can hear the hammer being released inside, without having touched the trigger!
Silvershooter wrote: No, from full it should not drop to 100 bar after 15 shots.
yes, I thought so too. After 15-20 shots it looses already 100bars.

I am sending it back to Steyr. However I am very very much disappointed. It is the most expensive air pistol on the market, about 1800euros in Italy. And yet it's full of falts!
1) The screws needs to be Locktited! Other pistols, have plastic stoppers to prevent them from moving (see MatchGuns as an example).
2) The grip adjstment screws cannot be used, because the rear sights touches the wood of their original (and terrible) grip!
3) All these problems after shooting 7 times! Where is control in this company????????
rmca

Re: LP10E malfunction

Post by rmca »

therider wrote:
Silvershooter wrote: It should move forward only a little way after cocking.
Yes, i know that. It jumps forward nearly till it closes and at the sametime I can hear the hammer being released inside, without having touched the trigger!
Do you have any first stage travel on the trigger? Looking at the manual drawings it looks like that it can make contact if it's adjusted to much (no travel at all).
therider wrote: After 15-20 shots it looses already 100bars.
Have you adjusted the velocity screws? Or are they in the factory setting?

Take a look at the service videos (if you haven't already) - http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/movies/index.html

Hope this helps
therider

Post by therider »

I have travel in the first stage. Pressure is 90% in first stage.

No I have not touched any other thing. Still factory set up.
I would not like to play with velocity screw, I have no way to measure velocity
therider

Post by therider »

I have taken the pistol back to the dealer... Monday night will hopefully be at Steyr.
I will update on the failure.
Thanks everybody
argus

Post by argus »

Therider, I hope your LP10E is back with you soon in proper working order. It will be interesting to hear what the problem was on such a new pistol.

Zeddsded, I thought the double shot issue on the LP10E was addressed long ago when the electronic module was redesigned so that pulling the trigger releases the switch and the contacts open to operate the solenoid whereas on the original LP10E's that did have the doubling problem pulling the trigger released the switch and closed the contacts to operate the solenoid.
therider

Post by therider »

Argus
Yes, I will update, hopefully next week.

I find this trigger redesign story interesting. If I recall correctly, whilst Cesare Morini was making my custom grip, he showed me the beautifully compact electronic module of his MGH1, and said that he uses opening circuit to release as this makes the trigger much crispier.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

As if that were something new. Morini's been using a shoot-on-opening circuit since 1987 or so. If the Steyr LP10e trigger is built as well as my LP50e, good luck. That trashy piece of plastic ain't worth the paper the manual is printed on. If Matchguns had those kind of quality problems, everybody'd be shouting at them. With Steyr, it just can't be that bad, because the pistol cost a ton of money and some guy became world champion with it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Tycho, I thought I was the only one with an attitude like that.

Heh, heh, heh...
therider

Post by therider »

Tycho,
I will tell you something. I know a dealer who gets all the new pistol which he sells stripped down till the last screw and tested by an engineer (Continental Europe definition of engineer, not UK definition...ie somebody with a 5 years university degree, although this does not necessarily mean that the guy is better than a UK definition of engineer, i.e. a technician :-)
) before agreening to sell them.

He got the MGH1 tested.
This engineer was impressed by the quality of construction of MGH1. And after testing the pressure regulator he reported that "he has never seen such a consistent pressure regulator".

Quite a shame that german reviews tried to put doubts on the quality of that gun..... I have to admit I did not buy the MGH1 because I was influenced by the review on one such german magazine! Never again will I try that rubbish they publish!

Honestly, I am regretting not having bought a MGH1..... but that will be my next pistol ... in a couple of months!
:-)
Richathome

Similar LP10E Problem

Post by Richathome »

Purchased an LP10 E Jan 2011 and started problem Dec 2011. Sent the pistol into Pilkington and they replaced the striker and the LP10E has performed perfectly since. These are excerpts of problem I sent in with pistol:
Dec 8 Target 1
On cocking pistol for 1st shot the cocking lever advanced forward as though the trigger had been pulled.
On 2nd attempt of cocking the same thing happened. Approx 120 bar on the cylinder.
On 3rd cocking of the lever it remained at the full rearward position, loaded pellet and shot 20 shots with no other malfunctions
Target 2
20 shots and no malfunctions
Target 6
Shot 1 Same as Shot 20 on target 5. Re cocked pistol 3 times and before the lever was completely closed the 3rd time the loud click occurred as though I had pulled the trigger. Re cocked the 4th time and pistol fired as it should. Approx 180 bar on the cylinder as the last few incidents occurred.
Shots 2 through 20 all fired no malfunction
Target 3
Shot 1 Filled cylinder to 200 bar cocked and lever advanced forward. Re cocked 2nd 3rd and 4th time before lever remained to rear. Loaded pellet and shot fired as it should.
Shot 2 Same as in Shot 1.
Shot 3 Same as in Shot 1.
Shot 4 Same as in Shot 1.
Shot 5 Same as in Shot 1.
Shot 6 cocked lever, loaded pellet and closed lever. Shot discharged into floor when lever was completely closed. Trigger was not touched.
Shots 7 through 20 fired and no malfunctions

Dec 16 Target 1
Shots 1 through 15 no malfunction
Shot 16 cocked lever and it advanced forward, re cocked 2nd time and it advanced forward with a loud click, re cocked 3rd time and loaded pellet and shot fired as it should.
Shot 17 cocked lever and before I got pellet loaded the lever advanced, re cocked 2nd time loaded pellet and shot fired as it should.
Shot 18 cocked lever and it advanced forward, re cocked 2nd time and lever advanced forward again, re cocked 3rd time loaded pellet and when I started to close lever it advanced forward with a loud click. Re cocked 4th time and shot fired as it should.
Shot 19 cocked lever and it advanced forward, re cocked 2nd time and lever advanced forward, recocked 3rd time and lever advanced forward, recocked 4th time loaded pellet and shot fired as it should.
Shot 20 cocked lever 4 times and it advanced forward each time. Re cocked 5th time and loaded pellet and it fired as it should. Approx 150 bar on cylinder.
Target 2
Shot 1 cocker lever and it advanced forward, re cocked 2nd time loaded pellet and closed lever, shot discharged onto floor by itself about 2 seconds after lever was closed.

This is the shot history for the last week or so. I hope this helps you finding the problem. Seems to shoot fine for 100 to 200 shots then the malfunctions begin. The pistol cannot be trusted to be shot around other people.

Sorry for the lengthy post and hope this helps. I also shoot a n older LP10 mechanical trigger I like equally well.
Last edited by Richathome on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
therider

Post by therider »

Richathome
Thanks for your input.
The problem seems very similar too mine.

However I do not understand if they solved the problem and afterwards the pistol has been working properly or if you keep having problems.
Last edited by therider on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
therider

Post by therider »

now both posts have gone!!!
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

argus wrote:Zeddsded, I thought the double shot issue on the LP10E was addressed long ago when the electronic module was redesigned so that pulling the trigger releases the switch and the contacts open to operate the solenoid whereas on the original LP10E's that did have the doubling problem pulling the trigger released the switch and closed the contacts to operate the solenoid.
Hi Argus, My LP10E is about a week old and has air cylinders dated Sept 2013, so it should be reasonably new stock. But it definitely delivers a double shot about once a day (I typically shoot 60 to 90 shots each day), I feel the 'Dry fire' click, immediately after the shot has gone. It's not a problem as obviously the gun is 'safe' at that moment and it doesn't distract me from my shooting.

Cheers, Jon
Last edited by Zeddsded on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steyr LP10 E