Embarrased and Clueless

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

Embarrased and Clueless

Post by conradin »

OK, at this point (2nd year) I am very comfortable with FP and Revolver, dismantling, minor adjustment, etc.

But I STILL do not know how to use a semi-automatic pistol. I am thinking of looking for an old Margolin.

But I don't know how a semi-automatic work, I don't know the parts, the only time I use one someone usually put the magazine for me and just told me to pull the trigger. I have ruined at least two pistols because I thought semi-automatic means either I have to personally extract the casing so that the next one will automatically pushed into the chamber (WRONG, one damage chamber), then when I was told that the casing will eject automatically I thought that is the automatic part, so I rack it after one shot (WRONG, another damage chamber). I have NEVER use a semi-automatic unless someone completely set it up for me since. Naturally I have yet to buy one.

So how much knowledge (such as break down, cleaning, assemble, minor adjustment) do I really need to know in order to be an OK user? Consider I am looking for a target pistol, there are also extra stuff such as grip, barrel weight, and crap load of cleaning tools which I have no clue what they are for. Are there gunsmith or instructor teach how to break down, clean, and do minor repairs? Consider this is a target pistol...
Spencer

Re: Embarrased and Clueless

Post by Spencer »

conradin wrote:I have ruined at least two pistols because I thought semi-automatic means either I have to personally extract the casing so that the next one will automatically pushed into the chamber (WRONG, one damage chamber), then when I was told that the casing will eject automatically I thought that is the automatic part, so I rack it after one shot (WRONG, another damage chamber)...
Cannot understand how you would damage a chamber this way.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Spencer wrote: Cannot understand how you would damage a chamber this way.
Same here ... all you would do by racking the slide on a loaded gun is eject the chambered round and chamber the next round in the magazine (assuming there was one).

Are you referring to firing on an empty chamber and damaging the chamber face (only a problem on some rimfires)?

As to your question, a semi-automatic is a bit more complex in its manual-of-arms, but not nearly as complex as you seem to think it is. Rank and file grunts of nations across the globe have used semi-auto pistols for more than a century, if they can use them so can you.

For some reason I think you have "psyched yourself out" on this topic. There many capable people that can help you on this, I'm sure there are dozens just at your club alone. Just ask for help they will show you the ropes. Or show up at the BE practice session to observe and learn. I can't imagine you would not be welcome!
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

IMHO the best way to learn is to own one. Get yourself a decent quality yet relatively inexpensive rimfire pistol (Ruger Mark III 6" Slabside might be a good example, but hurry up, they are only available in CA for another 2 weeks, after that they go off the roster and may be only purchased used from a private seller in CA), learn its parts and functions, study the manual, field strip for cleaning and disassemble, use dummy rounds and dry fire, and don't hesitate to ask for help. There's plenty of info available online.
dronning

Post by dronning »

VERY basic operation of a semi-auto (1911)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJMXXuGhINE
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
conradin

Post by conradin »

Thank you, I think I will get an old fashion semi-automatic to start off with. I find out a lot of pistols have detailed exploded diagram as well as maintenance instruction. That helps.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

Vincent,

Just some suggestions and ideas you may have overlooked:

Chabot Gun Club http://chabotgunclub.com/ has a one-day long basic firearm course taught by Jon Maunder. It is a good course that covers much of what you are asking for help and information with.

Call TargetMasters in Milpitas http://www.targetmasterswest.com/ and ask about renting a Ruger MKII. If not them, I think Reed's Range in Santa Clara http://www.reedsindoorrange.com/ rents firearms and has a policy of try before buying. Another store to ask is Jackson Arms in South San Francisco http://www.jacksonarms.com/

As for classes and assistance, have you checked with the club officers at your home range? I thought the San Leandro Optimist Club held regular
classes on gun safety and handling?

Hope this information helps.
-s
PS I thought Des owned a Ruger MKI pistol?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Fat chance of finding a Margolin (why would you want one). You'd better jump on a Smith or Ruger NOW!!!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... _in_ending_
william

Post by william »

OK, at this point (2nd year) I am very comfortable with FP and Revolver, dismantling, minor adjustment, etc.

But I STILL do not know how to use a semi-automatic pistol.
Pardon my asking - when you go to shoot, do you make it a point to be alone at the range? If not, have you never asked the person next to you:
"What do I do next?" or
"Please show me what to do." or even
"Do you mind if I watch you quietly for a few minutes?"

I'm having great difficulty believing the original post is entirely serious and not some sort of "I'm still alive. Have you missed me?" message.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ah, Mr. C just likes to tell us how it's done (he read some internet posts one time).
conradin

Post by conradin »

I'm surprised it takes that long for Rover to answer. Meanwhile I am not all surprised the hater shows up. The question is genuine.
No close friend of mine own a semi-automatic. The question is not about how to pop in the magazine and shoot, but rather about the more complex question of how the entire mechanism works, which part is for what and why, which part is prone to break, how to diagnose a problem, how to dismantle, how to clean, what parts I should leave it alone, etc. Every pistol I own I know exactly the finer mechanics of how it works, how to dissemble, how to clean, how to adjust, where NOT to touch and leave it to the expert, when it is time to look for a gunsmith that knows how to work on it. Not as easy as you think, my backup FP is the East German Munk Zentrum2. My backup air pistol is an FWB65, and thanks to members like Rover who helps me, it still took me a long time to figure out how it works, how to dismantle, what part I should order from FWB, how to upgrade, etc.

This will be the first time I will purchase a semi-automatic and plan to use it. I want to know every bit of info about it. I do not plan to purchase another one.

Anyway, haters are always there. As I said, when I begin to stop posting it is a sign that I begin to reach the point which I no longer need to ask every single questions and starting to be in the listen more, speak little mode.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:You'd better jump on a Smith or Ruger NOW!!!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... _in_ending_
If this is real, I'll ask my friends in CGF. I have not received any news from them.
conradin

Post by conradin »

william wrote: Pardon my asking - when you go to shoot, do you make it a point to be alone at the range? If not, have you never asked the person next to you:
"What do I do next?" or
"Please show me what to do." or even
"Do you mind if I watch you quietly for a few minutes?"

I'm having great difficulty believing the original post is entirely serious and not some sort of "I'm still alive. Have you missed me?" message.
Those three questions are not problems, even though most people in my range shoot AR-15.
If you are next to me, can I ask you to completely dismantle your semi-automatic pistol, explain to me what every part is for, which part is important, which part is prone to breakage, then put it back together, then explain to me what NOT to do, how to clean, etc etc etc. I don't feel 100% comfortable until I know what the heck I am holding in my hand. That's just me.
jr

Post by jr »

conradin wrote:I don't feel 100% comfortable until I know what the heck I am holding in my hand. That's just me.
Maybe you should look at the Browning Buckmark.
It's no Margolin (or any fancy target pistol for that matter), but it's simple, reliable, a proven design, easy to take down, and (in my opinion) pretty accurate. You could get a brand new one (there are many variants on the CA roster), a few extra magazines, a case, an Ultradot (if you want to do bullseye, for example), and a couple bricks of ammo and still be under a thousand dollars. And if you really wanted to doll it up you could get Randall Fung grips for it...

Anyway, here, here's something Google turned up (there's more, of course):
http://glock.pro/non-glock-firearms/757 ... -mark.html
scausi

info

Post by scausi »

Why dont you just look up youtube . there are 1000,s of vids to clean & dismantle semi auto pistols,
GOVTMODEL

Semi Automatic Pistols

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Get yourself a copy of The Official NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly Two Volume Set. See it at http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Produc ... 01617&ct=e

Pick an easy pistol, i.e., 1911 pattern. Not many parts, just about no tools needed. Reams of reference material available.

This ain't rocket science. Uncle Sam taught millions of GI's how to use and care for it, many of them less clever than you...
conradin

Bought one!

Post by conradin »

OK, I got a GOOD DEAL for a Margolin, near mint. Even with a compensator and 6 round magazine. Should receive it sometimes next week. Time to read up on instructions, then ask someone to teach me basics, then dissemble learn the parts, put it back together, etc etc etc.

Thank you for all your advice. Now back to lurking mode.
GOVTMODEL

Pistol Maintenance

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Detail stripping is rarely needed for any firearm; when I was in military Service, only an armorer was permitted to detail strip most firearms.

It is pretty unusual to need dis assembly beyond what is normally termed "field stripping." In general, the manual gives as much information as the typical consumer needs.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Rover

Post by Rover »

A purported watchmaker can't figure out something as stunningly simple as a .22 diasassembly?