Foresight Iris Ring Thickness?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Denton

Foresight Iris Ring Thickness?

Post by Denton »

Hi Guys,

I know this can be personal preferance but I was wondering what the general concensus is, a thicker iris ring say 1.4 or a thinner one say 1.1?
Any advantages on either?

D.
DLS

Post by DLS »

I'm 54 and suffer from retinal issues so I like the thicker insert. It's easier for me to focus on them. I don't have dedicated shooting glasses.

Thicker inserts do cover up more of the target area, which could be a problem w/ multi-bull targets or even getting on your own target if shooting distance out of doors ... but that's beyond the prevue of this forum! Sorry! <grin>
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Probably more useful when you consider differences in sight radius due to different barrel or extension tube lengths. May benefit from a thicker ring option if aperture is way out there. But then, no two eyes are the same, not even your own.

Dennis L
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

As elements are not dear, it may be useful to buy a selection in different thicknesses to find what works best for you.

As an aside, I only use thick rings (pretty much just the one size all the time) , but does anyone find they need a different size aperture depending on the ring thickness?
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

my rule of thumb is, the larger the front aperture, the thicker the front aperture ring. I shoot with my front iris on its' largest setting, and a thick ring has worked well for me thus far.