ISSF knock out round

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian G

Noise in training

Post by Brian G »

Two National Squad shooters I know used to train AP in a range that was in the basement of a large office block. The noise was provided courtesy of the ducting for the central heating system, two radios tuned to different stations and a Jack Russell barking and chasing the targets (on strings). This was in the days when silence was expected on the range, needless to say they did not do this on club nights.
rmca

Post by rmca »

I understand and fully agree with the necessity of training with noise and as many distracting factors as you can think. I have it in my training.

What I do not want is an encouragement to make more noise in a range. Of course there will always be background noise of some sort, and some of that is unavoidable, but if you can stop it, then do so. In the interest of performance and out of respect for the persons in the shooting line.

No matter how good you are, or how easily you switch off before a shot, there will be a time when some sort of sound will shift your focus, even for a fraction of a second, and with that cames a less than optimal execution of the shot. Don't believe me? Try a training session with some distractions, and then compare the results, both score and performance alike. Odds are you didn't do as well as you normally do...

My opinion.

Hope this helps
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rmca wrote:Try a training session with some distractions, and then compare the results, both score and performance alike.
Even better, with all due respect, try 50 training sessions.

One of the best distractions for me was to train with a tape of a favourite comedian playing. Because the distraction was verbal it was more difficult to avoid it disturbing your thought process than anything else I found.
rmca

Post by rmca »

David Levene wrote:One of the best distractions for me was to train with a tape of a favourite comedian playing. Because the distraction was verbal it was more difficult to avoid it disturbing your thought process than anything else I found.
Good idea. I will try that.