Low Sling = Higher Position?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NMC_EXP

Low Sling = Higher Position?

Post by NMC_EXP »

Any remote coaching recommendations for someone who has shot for years with a high sling & low position who is experimenting with a low sling?

I used a scope a lot this season and learned I have a pulse problem. Limited trials with a low sling have shown this all but eliminates pulse induced movement.

Based on these limited trials it appears to me that with a low sling I need to bring the handstop rearwards thus raising my position. The problem I'm having is that with the handstop back, and sling as tight as I want it, I cannot bend my wrist enough to get my hand under the sling and behind the handstop.

Question: Does a low sling necessitate a high position for most people?

Thanks

Jim
DLS

Post by DLS »

Hi Jim,

I've shot over-the-course and LR for years as well as SB 4P and prone. I find the opposite is true for me. The lower the sling the farther forward I need to place the hand-stop.

I hope this helps.
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Hello DLS and thanks for the reply.

I shot service rifle for years (Garand and M1A) and am moving into prone. I more or less replicated M1A LOP and L to handstop on my smallbore and it felt right. I always had the sling as high as possible until I decided to reduce pulse.

Interesting that your experience is opposite mine. It tells me that I need to do it the hard way and sort through the rifle set-up variables methodically.

Regards

Jim
DLS

Post by DLS »

Hi Jim,

Have you tried increasing the padding on the back of the sling arm? That may take care of your pulse without you having to change a position that has worked for you for years.

I shoot a high sling ... right up into my armpit to get it above the meat of the triceps. My coat has a very thick pad all around the arm, but the only place it's really needed on the sling are is around the back side.

My sling is a cobbled up affair made from half a 1907 sling, so the strap is pretty narrow. I feel this lets it fit in the space between the triceps and the armpit better than a very wide sling.

I've never really tired any other sling, I cobbled what I have together way back when I was a broke college student, and have used it for all disciplines since then. Since it's always worked for my why change right?

Again, I hope this helps.

Lee
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Lee

My sling is up to the armpit. I did reduce pulse noticeably when I went from a fairly stiff leather sling to a soft synthetic version. Both are 40mm ISSF legal units. I believe the softer sling conforms better and does not create pressure points. I tried an NRA wide cuff sling for a while and was surprised to find as much or more pulse than with the 40mm leather. However, this cuff sling was really stiff as well and did not conform.

I'm using an NRA coat. The sling is so high it is above the padding on the left arm. This prevents the sling from moving down the arm but may be contributing to pulse. I started this way before I was aware of how much pulse I had. It is something I need to loop back and revisit since adding a sling keeper to the coat. Maybe that is the first thing.

Jim
DLS

Post by DLS »

NMC_EXP wrote: The sling is so high it is above the padding on the left arm.
I'll bet that you would solve your problem with either a sling holder or adding padding higher on the back of the arm. It's certainly worth a try before start learning a whole new position.

I've pushed my sling up above the pad before as you do, and I got a lot of pulse, as well as it was uncomfortable.

My sling is butter soft and very old. I have a newer 1907 I use on my AR that is pretty stiff, but I don't need to sling up an AR anywhere near as tightly as a .30 cal or a heavy LR rifle since it barely recoils due to 13 pounds of lead stashed in every available crevice.

I think a wide sling adds to pulse personally.

Okay, I'm ranting and wandering. I hope you find a solution and I hope my rambling helps.

Lee

I understand using the
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Lee

No worries - I'll take all the info I can get. My problem has always been finding the balance between: (a) changing nothing and (b) changing too much.

I was a rubber materials engineer for 30 yrs. Part of that was working on vibration and shock load isolation components. I ought to be able to come up with some way reduce pulse transmitted to the rifle.

You mentioned adding padding to the sling. I may buy some of this stuff and give it a try:

http://www.sorbothane.com/

John Holliger reworked my AR15 and it weighs 13 lbs. My Model 70 Target in .30/06 weighs maybe 11 lbs. Go figure...

Jim
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

Jim

I thought I would share my thoughts, from personally experience and from reading ways of the rifle, however I'm not a coach.

I've found that by using a higher position with a steeper angle at the V of the elbow prevents the sling moving down back the arm whilst in position. A higher position also allows me to look through the rear sight easier with the centre of my eye. I have an Anschutz positional diagram with Matt E showing a 45 degree angle.

The pulse for me comes from the artery that runs down the inside of the bicep so I have the sling as high as it will go and above the bicep. I also have the strap around the bicep fairly loose and try to have the sling pull from the outside of the arm rather than equally from both sides. Last week I tried increasing the strap by just one notch on the belt and pulse returned instantly!

My approach was to set the hand stop to the position that felt right before attaching the sling. Then attach the sling and increase tension in the sling to find a good place to start.

Another trick I've heard about is to wear a wrist sweat band right up your arm to sit under the sling. This might just add enough padding to remove the pulse, however I'm not sure of ISSF legality.

Hope this helps
Bryan
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Bryan

Thanks for the input. In 30 years I've never had a coach. What I think I know comes from reading, conversation, and observation.

Having the sling pulling from the outside of the arm seems to have a lot of support. My setup has it pulling from just inside the peak of the bicep. My rationale was that this would result in the sling being more or less straight from the arm to the sling swivel.

I've assumed if the sling were on the outside of the arm the sling/coat would rotate around the arm until it was in a straight line to the swivel. This could be a bad assumption and it may be influenced by the coat itself. At any rate I will give it a try.

I have no doubt that looking through the center of the eye is best and that is one reason I've been experimenting with a high position.

Best regards

Jim
DLS

Post by DLS »

The sling pulling from the outside is what I strive for as well.

You need a "sticky" connection between the sling loop and the coat otherwise it will slip to a neutral position as you mention.

Having good rubber on your pulse pad will accomplish this. I have roughed up the leather on the contact side of my sling a few times in the years I've used it because over time it does begin to become smooth.

I've never had to use the adhesive sprays that some use, nor do I want to have to deal with the mess they make.

The jacket sleeve will twist when doing this, how much depends on the jacket material and the fit. It's not bad with the right arrangement, and actually helps create some tension in the "sling system" helping to keep it in place.

But that's me, I'm sure others will have different thoughts.

Lee
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

Jim

IMO your pulse issue is undoubtedly caused by you having the sling pull from the inside of the arm. Before you try adjusting your whole position just try changing the sling pull. As Lee mentions, if your sling has grip on the inside it should resist rotating round the arm too much.

Good luck

Bryan
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Next variable I try will be having the sling pulling from the outside with the rest of the position as it was.

I truly appreciate the input.

Best regards

Jim