Target Sprint (Dry-land Biathlon)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Who would travel to Anniston to participate?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 5

mdickinson

Target Sprint (Dry-land Biathlon)

Post by mdickinson »

I intend to run one of these next year sometime. Anyone interested? I believe CMP North ran one already and we plan on collecting any AAR's they may have, but just wanted to see the level of interest. We'll probably end up pooling the local boy scouts and 4-H's to come help us run a "test" match.
Attachments
Target Sprint Rules DEC 2013.pdf
(510.41 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
jr

Post by jr »

Not to Anniston, but would go to one anywhere in California, or maybe even elsewhere in the West.

And thanks for working to get this going, mdickinson!
DLS

Post by DLS »

These look like very fun matches.

The layout of the spectator stands at a local high school would be perfect for this. The targets look expensive for something that would be used so little, so I doubt I could ever get enough traction to put one on.

Can I ask what type of backdrop they are using in the photos found in the rule book? It looks like canvas strung between poles. That would get pretty pricy too.

How do you protect the field from pellets? Meaning how are they removed after the match? Leaving them on the turf would not sit well with the football gang. I guess you could lay down a lot of tarps?

Probably moot questions, but I'd love to figure out a way to make it work.

As far as traveling that far the answer is no. Something in the Pacific Northwest would probably be a go however.

Thanks for putting this on ... we need more shooting sports that cost little and appeal to lots!

Lee
j-team

Post by j-team »

I'm looking forward to the pistol version...
mdickinson

Post by mdickinson »

Haha, I wouldn't expect most people to travel that far. Just trying to get a feel for how many people on this forum are in the area.

I'd have to get a feel for all of the materials required to run it. Once I get all of the sorted out, I'm going to make a list and see what can be manufactured yourself using cheap materials/tools and what must be purchased. The plan is to publish a complete and comprehensive list of what is required both at minimum to run it w/rough cost and what is the ideal list of materials w/rough cost. I don't know that I could really determine the ideal list until after it has been run once or twice (as with most things, learning in hindsight).

I don't see the problem with running a pistol event, just need bigger targets!

I'm excited about running one. I'm going to beg to get Oxford High School's football stadium. It's right off of I-20 and is perfect for it.