Ambidextrous Cross Dominance

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Ambidextrous Cross Dominance

Post by brent375hh »

A non shooter friend of mine was telling me he was not sure what his eye dominance was. I tested him and he is cross dominant, since he has not shot much, I told him to try changing to his left hand. Upon doing so he kept trying to use his right eye. I don't recall ever seeing someone like this before.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi, the first thing shooters and coaches should learn is.....Stop trying to

change people and their eye dominance!

Tony
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Occasionally you find someone with very slight dominance, and when putting anything in front of that eye, the other becomes dominant.

Use of a scope on the gun is the only solution I've found.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Pat McCoy wrote:Occasionally you find someone with very slight dominance, and when putting anything in front of that eye, the other becomes dominant.

Use of a scope on the gun is the only solution I've found.
Or a blinder.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Oh I am not going to try to change or coach him. I just have never seen someone that changed their cross dominance with their shooting hand.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

In my most difficult case a blinder didn't work. Enough light came off it (clear plastic piece of milk jug) to allow that eye to remain dominant with an aperture sight in front of her eye.

Using a scope solved the problem with rifle, and shooting "point shoulder" took care of what she needed for pistol (non-target shooting, personal protection).

A Very trying case.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Pat McCoy wrote:In my most difficult case a blinder didn't work. Enough light came off it (clear plastic piece of milk jug) to allow that eye to remain dominant with an aperture sight in front of her eye.

Using a scope solved the problem with rifle, and shooting "point shoulder" took care of what she needed for pistol (non-target shooting, personal protection).

A Very trying case.
Not trying to argue anything here, just trying to understand what you were facing with that shooter.

A blinder does not change the dominance, it simply masks any visual data coming into that dominant eye so that the brain only sees the image from the non-dominant eye. That way it has to process the only data it has, so there is no conflict.

Or am I missing something?

Again, just looking for clarity really! Not trying to pick a fight or say your wrong!

Thanks!

Lee