32 ACP ammo, Hornady XTP in my Pardini HP 32

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Murph

Post by Murph »

I am using Hornady 32 ACP 60 grain XTP factory ammo in my Pardini HP 32. It's ridiculously accurate and has never missed a feed, ejection, or ever had a flier. I am very happy with it. My post here is about the ammo. This factory ammo is rated for 1000 fps. I see guys who reload are loading for a 720-750 fps range. Can I expect such a big difference with the lighter loads? It doesn't seem to have excessive recoil, so I am trying to decide if I should buy the reloading equipment. I don't reload now, just shoot factory ammo in this gun. Has anyone shot the full factory loads versus hand loads of this 60 XTP? Is it much of a difference?
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

The factory ammo in my HP shoots right at 1000 ft/sec and yes it does everything you would want it to do. I get the same results if
I reload the 60 gr XTP with 1.85 gr of N-310 and keep the measurements the same (OAL, trim length, crimp, etc.)
Murph

Re: 32 ACP ammo, Hornady XTP in my Pardini HP 32

Post by Murph »

pistol champ wrote:The factory ammo in my HP shoots right at 1000 ft/sec and yes it does everything you would want it to do. I get the same results if
I reload the 60 gr XTP with 1.85 gr of N-310 and keep the measurements the same (OAL, trim length, crimp, etc.)
If I was to find some hand made lighter load XTP ammo, would I have to change the recoil spring? Mine is all stock and shoots the full loads perfect. Just curious if I could switch back and forth between the 1000fps factory ammo and some 750fps loads without changing the gun at all.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Yes, you might want to make the recoil spring lighter how much I do not know it might take some experimentation. Remember gun manufactures spend a lot of time balancing spring rates of the recoil spring, magazine spring (yes heavier magazine slow the bolt down as it increases the friction on the bullet), and weight of the bolt. You might be opening up a can of worms.
Mine will screw up if I go under about 850 - 875. If I was at 750 it would not cycle properly.
Where are you going to find a lighter recoil spring?
Murph

Post by Murph »

pistol champ wrote:Yes, you might want to make the recoil spring lighter how much I do not know it might take some experimentation. Remember gun manufactures spend a lot of time balancing spring rates of the recoil spring, magazine spring (yes heavier magazine slow the bolt down as it increases the friction on the bullet), and weight of the bolt. You might be opening up a can of worms.
Mine will screw up if I go under about 850 - 875. If I was at 750 it would not cycle properly.
Where are you going to find a lighter recoil spring?

Well, after getting your feedback, and from some recent success with this new gun, I will stick to factory load Hornady 60 XTP. It won't be worth the time and investment to drop 100 fps off the rounds. I have plenty factory rounds to last me a year, so I will keep using them. It ain't broke, so I won't trying "fixing it."