Scatt has No Signal

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Thedrifter

Scatt has No Signal

Post by Thedrifter »

Well the title says it best, I have a Scatt with little to no signal and need help and suggestions. Below is a quick rundown of an email I sent to Scatt:
Hello Mr. Keating,
At present time your type of SCATT systems no longer supported.
Few advises:
This type of systems designed for practice and shooting on 10m distance only (with default electronic target) and can't be used in any other distance.
You can check power adapter (we used 12V AC power adapters 1000mA with both type 2.5 and 2.1mm connectors).
Target interface cable use 4 wire with RJ11 6x4 connectors with similar wire sequence on both ends.
Not all RS-232 to USB converters are compatible with this system.
On the black box (main unit) must be placed "Test" IR LED for check optical sensor, run SCATT program (if it possible) and point your optical sensor to this LED (close, about 1 cm), if optical in good condition, on the calibration window screen must be displayed signal level and aiming point.
--
Good Luck,
Dmitry Medvedev
SCATT

Sir,

Recently I purchased a used Scatt trainer system, and have problems with it. The system is not recognizing any signal between the target and sensor.
I have tried many things and decided I need professional support to resolve this problem.
Here is what I have tried, at first I thought perhaps the phone cable was malfunctioning because one end seemed bad. After replacement I setup the target and it worked with limited results. The target lit up and recognized the signal. From their I aligned the sensor and I had a scatt trace so I started a new training session and again it doesn't recognize again.

Things I've done and checked.
I have Legacy 232 checked
Windows 7 drivers are installed
Setup at different distances
Replaced phone cable from target to controller.

Details,
Operating Windows 7 the 64bit system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Cameron Keating
United States of America, California
Now in the original email I did include my S/N and key, but not an individual to post that information up I will just say that it is a model prior to the USB models.

Some other points that may be of interest
1. At one point while setting up and playing with the Scatt I received Red signals from the target frame

2. I have a signal and trace from 0 to about 6/7 meters after this distance the system no longer finds a signal. I don't know if the course adjustment is just that far out of alignment? Or perhaps I have a week sensor?

3. I have deleted and reinstalled the software, both the newest version and an older version I have on CD that came with the unit.

4. Set the scat at 5 meters and moved out a little at a time keeping the rifle on a rest (Benchrest setup) to make my course adjustments. tell eventually it stops seing a signal.

I may think of more information later but off the top of my head this is where I am at.

I know that you gentlemen will do your best to help so I thank you in advance,
Cameron
RoryW

Scatt cable

Post by RoryW »

I use a USB version and I was thinking of setting up a second cable between the target and the computer and bought an off-the-shelf telephone cable. It wouldn't work and on closer inspection I noted that the original Scatt cable has one end reversed compared to the telephone cable. so I would say check the colours on your original and replacement and see if the pin allocations match.

I am working on my telephone cable to reconfigure it but I haven't yet gotten hold of a crimper to finish the job.

The reason for the second cable is to install it semi-permanently in my shed while leaving the original free for travel

Rory
Thedrifter

Re: Scatt cable

Post by Thedrifter »

RoryW wrote:I use a USB version and I was thinking of setting up a second cable between the target and the computer and bought an off-the-shelf telephone cable. It wouldn't work and on closer inspection I noted that the original Scatt cable has one end reversed compared to the telephone cable. so I would say check the colours on your original and replacement and see if the pin allocations match.

Rory
Thanks, I will take a look at this but it is doubtful, as Dmitry said "target interface cable uses 4 wire rj11 with similar wire sequence on both ends"

But it doesn't hurt to look and cross of the list officially.

Thanks again,
Cameron
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I think Rory is correct. a telephone cable from radio shack etc. has the wires in reverse order when you look at the connectors from the same side.

Cut one off and replace the connector ensuring the wires are in the same color order left to right from the same side of the connector.

Both lights are illuminated on the target. that indicates an incorrect connection.

Marcus
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

well sure enough those wires were backwards, however that is still not the issue, and seems to have made it operate worse. now there is zero signal from the sensor to the target frame, where before i could have a signal up close, just not useful.
I went to radio shack after work and picked up the crimps and crimper... i love tools :)

something else I noticed my power supply says 500ma and Scatt said there should be 1000ma. I don't want to swap this until I confirm, but that is a big difference...