survey on background checks for firearms

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

tecumsehstudent

survey on background checks for firearms

Post by tecumsehstudent »

Hey would you mind doing a survey for a paper that im writing? its reallyshort https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KBY36KW
william

Post by william »

I don't know where else you are soliciting responses, but the biased nature of this forum cannot possibly reflect what a randomized study would. Good population selection is one of the ways that high-price polling organizations earn their high price.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

William -

Unless the survey is specifically targeted towards sport shooters, in which case this is the ideal source for respondents.

It would be nice if the guest who is offering this survey to give us a bit of information on what he is trying to learn from this exercise.

Roger
dronning

Post by dronning »

You also have a mix of international shooters on this forum to consider.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

I went to the poll and looked at the questions. Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Can't imagine what this student expects to glean from these questions.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

The survey was done already over 200 years ago here in the US. Case closed.

See- U.S. Bill of RIGHTS and full Constitution for further instructions. You will find the original poll concluded being able to own and shoot your gun ranked 2nd in importance to everything else.
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

How helpful the last 2 post are!!!! Geeze some people love to moan!!!

Seem like sensible questions to me. Sure it's a simple short survey but if this is all the guy wants then fine.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I have to agree that the questions for this poll taken as a whole are not likely to supply any useable information, no matter which side of the gun control debate that you are on.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Screw 'em. Delete this thread!
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

A person logged in as a guest asking for info of any kind - or opinions - on firearms ownership.....

I smell troll.
Sorry.
corning

Post by corning »

This has to be how lies like "90% of gun owners support background checks" get started and gain traction with the US anti-gun crowd.

I haven't seen this pop up on other forums, but then, most other forums don't allow guests and do require registration in order to comment. Maybe that is something that needs to be considered here?

John
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

corning wrote:This has to be how lies like "90% of gun owners support background checks" get started and gain traction with the US anti-gun crowd.

I haven't seen this pop up on other forums, but then, most other forums don't allow guests and do require registration in order to comment. Maybe that is something that needs to be considered here?

John
I would hope 90% or higher gun owners would support background checks. It is the case in most countries is it not the case in the US??
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Background checks are only required if the purchase is made from a licensed dealer. Personal transfers are more or less unregulated. While it is illegal to make a "straw man" purchase, i.e., a purchase with the intent to pass the firearm to someone who is ineligible to own one, enforcing that law is problematic. An individual can sell a firearm for cash without even asking the buyer's name - I've seen it done many times at flea markets.

I'm one of the gun owners who supports background checks under all circumstances. While I don't think that's a minority view, it's certainly not one you will hear as frequently or as loudly as the opposite.

Roger
Erud

Post by Erud »

HWN1011 wrote:
corning wrote:This has to be how lies like "90% of gun owners support background checks" get started and gain traction with the US anti-gun crowd.

John
I would hope 90% or higher gun owners would support background checks. It is the case in most countries is it not the case in the US??
No. In the US, we have a God-given, constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. It was written into the US Bill of Rights as a means of protecting the citizenry from an over-reaching government. Requiring permission from that same government to exercise that right greatly defeats the purpose.
dronning

Post by dronning »

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
~ Ben Franklin

Our government has slowly become exactly what our founding fathers feared. The govt. is acting as if the citizenry are theirs to "manage". Every day I see us coming closer to things like "approved" speech. Illegal search and seizure have become way to common and is now the norm for air travel. Once a norm is established you get creep into other areas - like a persons home.

All you have to do to control a society is drive fear into that society. This method of controlling a society shows up far too often throughout history.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
conradin

Post by conradin »

This survey is a joke right?
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

RandomShotz wrote:Background checks are only required if the purchase is made from a licensed dealer. Personal transfers are more or less unregulated. While it is illegal to make a "straw man" purchase, i.e., a purchase with the intent to pass the firearm to someone who is ineligible to own one, enforcing that law is problematic. An individual can sell a firearm for cash without even asking the buyer's name - I've seen it done many times at flea markets.

I'm one of the gun owners who supports background checks under all circumstances. While I don't think that's a minority view, it's certainly not one you will hear as frequently or as loudly as the opposite.

Roger
Really interesting how different the gun laws are US compared to UK/Europe. The questions in that survey are very much inline with what's required on a UK firearms license. So to me the survey makes perfect sense.
If you have a criminal record or mental health issues you are very unlikely to be allowed a firearms license in the UK which I 100% agree with. The less nutters running round with guns the better as far as I am concerned. I would say 90% or higher gun owners would agree with this in the UK.

We obviously don't have the right to bear arms to protect ourselves like you guys in the US do and to be honest I am glad about that. This might cause a few of you from the US to jump up and down but do you not think this right to bear arm for protection is out dated now and should be looked at??
Erud

Post by Erud »

HWN1011 wrote:
RandomShotz wrote:Background checks are only required if the purchase is made from a licensed dealer. Personal transfers are more or less unregulated. While it is illegal to make a "straw man" purchase, i.e., a purchase with the intent to pass the firearm to someone who is ineligible to own one, enforcing that law is problematic. An individual can sell a firearm for cash without even asking the buyer's name - I've seen it done many times at flea markets.

Roger
Really interesting how different the gun laws are US compared to UK/Europe. The questions in that survey are very much inline with what's required on a UK firearms license. So to me the survey makes perfect sense.
If you have a criminal record or mental health issues you are very unlikely to be allowed a firearms license in the UK which I 100% agree with. The less nutters running round with guns the better as far as I am concerned. I would say 90% or higher gun owners would agree with this in the UK.

We obviously don't have the right to bear arms to protect ourselves like you guys in the US do and to be honest I am glad about that. This might cause a few of you from the US to jump up and down but do you not think this right to bear arm for protection is out dated now and should be looked at??
I absolutely do NOT think that it is outdated. What about the concept of government tyranny is different now than it was 230 years ago?
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

I think that it's great that different countries can have different laws. I personally don't see the reason for driving on the wrong side of the road like you do in the UK and you don't agree with our gun laws. I am not trying to push our driving laws onto you and you shouldn't try pushing your gun laws onto us.

Take care
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Well, Erud, if you can figure some way to use a gun to defend yourself from the NSA hoovering up everyone's online information I'd like to hear about it. And if you think that allowing every felon and nutjob free, unfettered and unmonitored access to guns is a reasonable price to pay to avoid the slippery slope to gun control, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I swore to myself I would not get into this, but here goes. The right to raise an armed revolt against a government was set forth in the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution does not guarantee such a right. The right to "keep and bear arms" was specifically noted in the context of a "well regulated militia", although in a recent Supreme Court ruling some of the strict constructionists used some seriously tortured linguistics to decide that the drafters of the Constitution really meant that whole bit about "militia" as merely a suggestion of one of the possible uses of that right.

But as I noted before, if you think that having a gun will protect you from governmental overreach, you have not been paying attention. The government has much, much bigger weapons at its disposal if it ever comes to a shootout. However, as long as the Congress does silly, destructive things like pass the "Patriot Act" in a fit of panic and chest-thumping, the Government won't need guns to take away our freedom. It can monitor and control all of the information coming in and going out of our lives which is tantamount to thought control as effective as anything envisioned by George Orwell. It can even safely encourage us to cling to the delusion that having a gun makes us free.

Roger