What dreams are made of....

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

What dreams are made of....

Post by Leon »

Tycho

Post by Tycho »

700 Euros on egun. Not a Morini grip, btw, but a Nill, therefore not original. So much for the know-how of the seller. And good luck trying to find spares.
kle

Post by kle »

Tycho wrote:Not a Morini grip, btw, but a Nill, therefore not original.
I looked at the figuring and texture on the grip and thought "Hmm...that looks like Nill grips". At USD$2500, I think I'll pass.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Tycho wrote:700 Euros on egun. Not a Morini grip, btw, but a Nill, therefore not original. So much for the know-how of the seller. And good luck trying to find spares.
Never seen a new one for sale on egun. Prices of excellent ones have crept as I think a lot of US buyers are on egun now. At least 900 + for one.

Parts are no problem. Roco systems in the US ( and Germany ) had a huge stockpile of parts ( including all the original tooling to make P240s - which they also advertised for sale on egun 3 or 4 years ago ). These parts have now been sold to Larrys Guns, who can supply just about everything, except .38 P240 barrels.

Replacement .38 P240 barrels are made here in Australia.

Last new, unfired P240 I saw for sale sold in Switzerland at Kessler Auktionen, about 3 years ago. It went for over 4000 Sfr. I picked up an unfired .32 P240 at the same auction.

The same dealer who is advertising the P240 on gunbroker also has an unfired Hammerli 104 Luxury free pistol for sale. Absolutely gorgeous....

I must say that I'm particularly fond of P240s. Here's my miserable collection -

Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Last new, unfired P240 I saw for sale sold in Switzerland at Kessler Auktionen, about 3 years ago. It went for over 4000 Sfr.
Perhaps for a prototype. Never ever for a common serial production P240, except if some americans went totally nuts (it always takes two, which always amuses the bidders in Kreuzlingen). I got my .38 a few years back, at another auction, for CHF 900. NIB, unfired. We actually bought prototypes for way less than TCHF 4. Nobody here actually shoots the 240, so there are only the collectors, and for a collector's firearm, there are too many around to get high prices.

Americans on egun are not a real problem, as most private sellers there will not export to the US, and many americans do not understand why there are parts of this world where people don't speak english. Some americans even managed to get declared persona non grata at some of the german auction sites, or with some german dealers. So a P240 that will not be exported by the seller does not fetch high prices, as there is a very limited group that might be interested. Of course, if you are ready to pay the premium for the export option, ok. There are P240s and conversion kits coming up on egun at least twice a month (believe me, I track that site daily), any many of them in excellent condition, as almost nobody ever shot them competitively.

Everything that is in the US is basically beyond the moon, as it is so difficult to get stuff in and out of the US, Russia, China or Myanmar couldn't be worse. The paperwork is prohibitive. So much for the land of the free and the brave. And it's at least as expensive. AND there must be a reason why everybody in the US, when I tell them about Roco and Larry's guns, says either "F***" or "OMG...". Try to get the small, cheap parts from them, like mag followers or so, and you'll be surprised (not positively). I do know about that "stockpile", that did not take as much space for shipping as you believe. Do you think it would not have been picked up here in Europe if it had been that great a deal? I actually heard, from very reliable sources, about a guy here in Europe who is said to have more P240 parts in his shed than were sold to the US. And so far the collector's network here has managed to come up with everything that was wanted. And as for the tools, good luck building new pistols, I'm looking forward to that, it will cause everybody great amusement. SIG Neuhausen was full of highly qualified people, and there is a reason why the P240 never was a commercial success - it's not just a question of CNCing a bunch of parts and putting them together...
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

FredB

Post by FredB »

Tycho wrote: Nobody here actually shoots the 240, so there are only the collectors, and for a collector's firearm, there are too many around to get high prices.

...almost nobody ever shot them competitively.

SIG Neuhausen was full of highly qualified people, and there is a reason why the P240 never was a commercial success - it's not just a question of CNCing a bunch of parts and putting them together...
Tycho,

Would you please explain further about these statements? I don't know much about the guns, but they are highly valued in the U.S. and apparently in Australia. Why does no one shoot them in Europe now or in the past, especially competitively? Would they have been more of a commercial success if they had been shot competitively?

Thanks,
FredB