Get your round on

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

COBelties

Get your round on

Post by COBelties »

Not sure who is going to Winter Airgun in Colorado Springs in December, but I received a communication stating the rounded boot rule will be enforced. This is outside the active USAS rules, but because it is a selection event they have decided to enforce it at equipment check.

So now you know and can plan for it if you haven't already made this adjustment.
jhmartin

Re: Get your round on

Post by jhmartin »

COBelties wrote:Not sure who is going to Winter Airgun in Colorado Springs in December, but I received a communication stating the rounded boot rule will be enforced. This is outside the active USAS rules, but because it is a selection event they have decided to enforce it at equipment check.

So now you know and can plan for it if you haven't already made this adjustment.
This is completely contrary to what they have posted in their own rules.
They state that it is the responsibility of the shooter who goes to an international event to conform ... not to conform at the selections.
7.5.3.5 wrote:(USAS Clarification: Shooting shoe measurements will not be adopted. Athletes making any USAS teams in will be expected to comply with this rule before any travel with the team.)
And Dave has changed the match from Part-I of the World Championship selection to only applying to Bavarian and WC-USA/Benning anyway .... nothing more. So this really makes no sense ... who did you get that from?

He stated that it was not fair to shooters to only have a short time to conform w/ new rules on the fly, and this would seem to be doing just that.
Some of these shooters will be coming with club equipment, and some of the clubs are kinda strict on who can do this type of mod on the fly .... i.e. just before an EC. I know we've had grips touching chests on shooters that is an easy grind and the club refused to let the shooter make the mod ... they had to mod their position

(Not that it's hard to round the toes & heels, and the major position it effects is 3-P kneeling, but this does not seem to make sense in terms of complying with their own (thought out?) rules. If they are going to enforce this, the they should pull ALL the red comments out and enforce ALL the ISSF rules.)
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

We were told about it from the USAS office when we inquired about the rule for the NJOSC. The explanation provided was that Winter Airgun wasa selection match and it would be enforced as well as be enforced at NJOSC.

I'm still scratching my head over enforcing a rule that hasn't been adopted, but then again I've always been slow.

Perhaps call Pete for the Winter Airgun? If you get a different answer I would very much like to hear it. Pretty confusing and if Dave issued an edict maybe they didn't get the memo? I like Dave's reasoning.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Just use a grinder and move on!! Its not a big deal...
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Just looked at the "Official Program" and it also states that every rule will be enforced except 7.5.4.5 (side panel stitching). I'm notorious for not reading the program and should have caught up a month ago.

Anyhow, thats all I know.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

My kneeling actually improved when I rounded off my boots. If you just train with it it doesn't really matter what the rules are ;)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

COBelties wrote:Just looked at the "Official Program" and it also states that every rule will be enforced except 7.5.4.5 (side panel stitching). I'm notorious for not reading the program and should have caught up a month ago.
Boot Flex too? I don't think they have a machine yet.
redschietti wrote:Just use a grinder and move on!! Its not a big deal...
bpscCheney wrote:My kneeling actually improved when I rounded off my boots. If you just train with it it doesn't really matter what the rules are ;)
Here's the issue ... they have in the Rules that they will not enforce the rules. So which are they saying they are enforcing ... the rule or the rule update?

It's not a big deal to fix the rounding. It's not a big deal to pull the seatpatch.
It's kinda a big deal if they test the flex.
It's kinda a big deal if the shooters show up and have to mod their gear and have no time to train with the modified gear.

I personally think they goofed this up with the updates.... they should have just begun enforcing ISSF after Munich last year. But ... again we hear there may be more rule updates as early as the end of the month
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Feel like a puppet on strings??

USA rules says will not enforce ISSF flex rule..they did test flex, but not enforce at Benning USAS nationals
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

As I said ....
They should pull out all the RED Updates (OK maybe the one for 7.5.4.5 stays) if they are going to enforce what said they won't enforce......

Many of the NJT/NDT/NT shooters already comply ... It's just confusing, and going to be unfortunate when many other shooters go thru EC.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Jest round off your toes. It really isn't that big of a deal. I have not noticed a difference, and I haven't heard any body say they have had issues with it.

And as for boot flexing, they DO have the device to measure it. At USASNC it was at the EC, but it was only there if you wanted to get tested. Even if you failed it, they let you shoot. I got mine tested, and they passed.
Matt
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Hearing from good source that flex WILL BE TESTED
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Well, at least WAG is a standing event. If a shooter has to cut flex points on their boots, it won't effect them really.

Wish they would get the program out for the (anticipated?) smallbore selection in Jan.

If the same rules are applied (why wouldn't they be?) ... now this is a big deal ... kneeling will need a bit more practice to get used to the seatpatch gone, more boot flex and rounded toes. Less than 7 weeks to that event.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

As for the seatpatch, I also saw no difference.

Just make yourself legal and call it good. The rules are what they are, and if everyone is shooting to the same rule book, it's fair. We have been shooting to these rules for almost a year now and if you haven't changed what you can yet, you are behind.