Pardini 22 cleaning

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

david alaways

Pardini 22 cleaning

Post by david alaways »

I just got back into bullseye. Pulled my pardini out cleaned it with Qtips amd Hoppes cleaner. I put "ALOT" of rounds thru it years ago and its not holding a group like it did before (benched or freehand). Is there anything else I should do to clean the rifleing in the barrel?

Pardini accuracy

Post by 641 »

Last edited by 641 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Speaking as a rifle shooter, but have you cleaned the barrel? Each shot leaves grease, burnt powder, lead, and grit in the bore. Eventually there is enough residue that accuracy deteriorates. Obviously this is noticeable sooner if you are shooting prone rifle than with a pistol.

Q-tips are fine for the action, but won't touch the residue in the barrel. Swab the barrel with Hoppes wet patches, leave for15 minutes so the Hoppes soften the fouling. Then wet a brush with Hoppes and brush the barrel. Swab with more wet patches until these look clean, and dry with fresh patches. If the dry patches show dark streaks, I'd brush again.

You may need to shoot fouling shots after cleaning to fill up any loose spots. This is just a sign that the Hoppes and brush have cleaned thoroughly, not that they have damaged the barrel.
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Funny how many various experiences there are. I guess if it works for you...OK
However, I have a Pardini SP I bought from Don Nygord.. so it has been around for a quite a while. I passed it on to the woman who shoots for me, so it is still getting heavy workouts, and it wins far more than it loses.:) It has "never" had the bore cleaned/scrubbed.
Chamber is kept squeaky clean, but the bore is never touched. I notice on occasion, there can be a slight zero change after a complete disassembly. The barrel / frame attachment is the reason this occurs.
It is true that the 22 projectile deposits a coating to the bore... it has been determined, that this coating is advantageous, and should not be removed. Some notable barrel makers and rifle smiths advise, that it takes a 100 or more rounds to replenish this coating, and return to shooting tight groups.
It has never had anything but Eley fired through it.
Jerry
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If cleaning the full length of the barrel is so injurious, why do Anschutz, Bleiker, Grunig, Feinwerkbau, Walther, and Eley recommend this be done regularly? Pistol shooting is clearly different, but I have yet to meet a top level rifle shooter who recommends never cleaning.

It's true that not every barrel needs to be scrubbed spotless every time, and I'm not advocating this. However how can cleaning thoroughly make things worse, if test groups fired from a vice are already awful? Even if you have to fire fouling shots, it's one thing that can be ticked off, and forgotten about. Thereafter little and often is key, so accuracy stays constant.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Tim S wrote:If cleaning the full length of the barrel is so injurious, why do Anschutz, Bleiker, Grunig, Feinwerkbau, Walther, and Eley recommend this be done regularly? Pistol shooting is clearly different, but I have yet to meet a top level rifle shooter who recommends never cleaning.

It's true that not every barrel needs to be scrubbed spotless every time, and I'm not advocating this. However how can cleaning thoroughly make things worse, if test groups fired from a vice are already awful? Even if you have to fire fouling shots, it's one thing that can be ticked off, and forgotten about. Thereafter little and often is key, so accuracy stays constant.
Didn't mean to imply that cleaning is the cause of your issue.. I sited another perspective by which more than a few advocate.. Sounds as if you "may" need a new barrel.
Good luck with you endeavor..
Jerry
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Jerry Keefer wrote: Didn't mean to imply that cleaning is the cause of your issue.. I cited another perspective by which more than a few advocate.. Sounds as if you "may" need a new barrel.
Good luck with you endeavor..
Jerry
Er, I think you may have me confused with the original poster of this thread. I don't have an issue, nor do I need a new barrel. I was suggesting a thorough clean to the OP, who was reporting issues.
ghillieman

Re: Pardini 22 cleaning

Post by ghillieman »

david alaways wrote:I just got back into bullseye. Pulled my pardini out cleaned it with Qtips amd Hoppes cleaner. I put "ALOT" of rounds thru it years ago and its not holding a group like it did before (benched or freehand). Is there anything else I should do to clean the rifleing in the barrel?
Hi David, yes clean your barrel thoroughly using Hoppe's #9. When your done hold it up to a light and look down the bore and check for lead deposits. Continue cleaning if there are still deposits in the bore. Check the shock buffer for damage and put it back in correctly. BTW, do you have extras on hand? Open the end cap by the muzzle, clean everything so that the weights move freely, tighten the cap back down. Lightly lube and reassemble, tighten the take down screw, grip screw, and sight mounts. Condition the bore and shoot for groups, it should be fine now.