Rigth hand pistol left hand rifle

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

Rigth hand pistol left hand rifle

Post by conradin »

Out of curiosity I wonder anyone here shoot their pistols with one hand, and then their long arms with the other? I ma considering shooting long arms left handed to take advantage of my dominant left eye, but I am right handed and I shoot pistol using my right hand and right eye. I usually need a bit of help (lens) to make me see the front sight more clear; but when I use my left eye I have no problem at all, as if it is as clear as a telescope.
Randy152

Post by Randy152 »

I am right handed and right eye dominant. I shoot rifle right handed.

But I shoot pistol left handed using my right eye. And I cannot shoot that way using my shooting glasses. Even with the correct prescription. I can only use my normal prescription glasses.

However, occasionally I shoot pistol right handed. When I do, it is absolutely necessary to use my shooting glasses. It could have something to do with the angles or the different distances between right and left hand, I don't know. Just the way it is!
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Conradin;
See my post in smallbore.

Clarence
opbigdave

Post by opbigdave »

I too am right handed and left eye dominant.
I started shooting at the age of 5-6 yeas old.
Didn't know about eye dominance issues,of course and my father noticed
I cross/stocked while shooting long guns,but evidently didn't consider it
an issue. Never shot a rifle successfully, but pretty good with a handgun.
I truly wish I had been diagnosed with left eye dominance early and would
have been trained a left hand shooter.
I have always struggled with my dominance issue and I am dealing with
it again now at 64 years old.
Shooting my IZH-46 and Alfa-Proj OK ,but having issues with my QB79.
I have decided to retrain as a left handed long gun shooter .
People who don't have cross dominance issues are blessed.

Shoot Safely and always remember to have fun.

Dave
Join the NRA and Always Shoot Safely
NRA Benefactor
ATA Life Member
Shoot Safely and Remember to Have Fun
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I'm shooting ISSF pistol nowadays right/right (hand/eye). Service pistol (two handed) right/left to get a better angle on the trigger. Shotgun left/left. Left eye is dominant, but by a small margin. Used to shoot pistol left/left, too, until I hurt my shoulder. What doesn't work as a combo is left hand / right eye, but everything else is no problem.
DanielSwe

Post by DanielSwe »

Ambi here, though I write with my left hand.
Pistol, right hand right eye.
Rifles, right or left arm/eye depending on caliber :)
Hockey to one side, golf to the other. very strange

My left eye is dominant, though after shooting pistol with my right eye for 5 yrs it....takes over... when the sights comes up. Don'r know how to describe it better.
Left eye has got better vision though, took some laser to it a while back. Right eye blurs the targets nicely without correction.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Thank you for the advice. It seems to me that dominate eye is more important in long arms, and also cross sighting is not a good idea, and nobody seems to be able to master it no matter what sort of optical equipment help is used.

I am an organist/harpsichordist, so even though I am right handed, I pretty much am pseudo ambidextrous. The only sport which I play ambidextrous is snooker. Strangely when I play Badminton (right handed), my backstroke is much stronger than my fore stroke. Too late to change hands now...could have won some more matches for my College. I was captain of the team in College.
BenHHH

Post by BenHHH »

My right eye is dominant and my right hand is dominant but my left eye is more efficient that the right...
So, i'm shooting pistol with right hand and left eye. I had to find the right position to be confortable. Now, it is ok, i'm just turning my feet a little to be well aligned. My training record with Morini CM162 EI is 559/600 and I'm shooting the 10meters for only 3 years !
For long guns, I must shoot left side and it is more difficult. It needs more works to have the same sensations on trigger with my left finger...
I'm in progress...
But i realy prefer hand guns
stephen_maly

left / right handed issues

Post by stephen_maly »

I was born left-handed. I learned to write with my right hand (my father promised to buy me a rifle) during the summer months after my 9th birthday. I could never do as well with my right hand as with my left, but as luck would have it, my right-handed writing is acceptable.
I was originally right-eye dominant. I shot pistol left handed and sighted with my right eye until a very experienced shooter suggested that if I was going to shoot left handed, I could recover faster in timed and rapid events if I used my left eye. He was right. Now I shoot pistol with my left eye, and rifle with my right. Rifles always felt unnatural if I held them up left handed. So, I am a right and left handed shooter. I think anyone can overcome (to some extent) their limitations in this area.
Northwestern AP

Post by Northwestern AP »

I'm an unfortunate cross-eye dominant shooter; left eyed and right handed with a pistol. I have never seen any choice but to shoot long guns left-handed (nor can I understand how anyone else could, though I know some do so successfully).

Despite over 40 years shooting long guns from the left side, I can't imagine shooting a pistol left handed. One would think that having 'trained' my left hand trigger finger it would come somewhat easily, but having tried it a couple of times it has never worked out for me.

Cross-eye dominance is particularly problematic if you need glasses. It may require glasses that center the 'sweet spot' somewhere other than where the optician would traditionally place it.