Types of Red Dot Sights?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

big mouse

Types of Red Dot Sights?

Post by big mouse »

It seems as if all red dot sights are available in 2 basic, yet different

versions: the original tube-type and the newer non tube-type that some

will call a "heads up display" model. I read ads in the magazines

where a manufacturer specifically refers to their product as a "reflex

sight". Are all red dot sights, regardless of the incorporated features,

considered to be "reflex" designs or does "reflex" indicate a certain type

of optic?
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

If you shoot bullseye, you only need to worry about parallax , find the one with no and your good. Ultradot is best for price, aim point great if you have the cash, others like millet, tasco,burris and most others will work but are not as durable or accurate,
crankythunder

Dear Big Mouse

Post by crankythunder »

For a really good explanation on red dot sights, go to bullseye pistol dot com.

While a high quality reflex sight will work good on a bullseye gun, most competitors go for a tube style sight for the more enclosed lenses which translate into less reflected light flashes. They are also a touch more accurate for most shooters as well (in my humble opinion)

The IDPA, ipsic, and three gun, run and gun, shoot and scoot type competitors are more likely to use the reflex sight for the less cluttered sight picture.

Most common sight on the bullseye line is the ultra dot. Occasionally you will see a aimpoint 9000 series which I think has a more crisper dot then the ultra dots. The other big player is C-more although they are more in the reflex sights.

While others have had good luck with cheaper sights, I would stick to the ultra dots, aimpoints, and c-mores. they may work but most likely they will not track good or you might need to use Kentucky windage for the precision required in bullseye. Do not waste your money on the really cheap ones, they will not work and you will not be able to sell them and get your money back.

Regards,
Cranky