Newbie question... fitting bolt

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Timmeruk

Newbie question... fitting bolt

Post by Timmeruk »

Ok so with some embarrassment I post the following :-)

Just picked up my Anschutz 2013 from the gun dealer and had it taken to the club. I have tried to put the bolt in and cannot for the life of be get it to fit and rotate correctly. I have checked the bolt and it's the correct one with matching serial numbers etc... I am just being a numpty and cannot workout how to / or which buttons to press to get it through...

please be gentle with me...
Thanks
Tim
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Hi Tim,

your bolt was probabaly delivered un-cocked. This relaxes the firing spring, and reduces fatigue. You will need to cock the bolt before inserting it into the breech.

For a right handed bolt: hold bolt in your left hand, nose down, with the handle away from you. With your right hand, push the handle anti-clockwise (as if opening the bolt to unload). The bolt will click when cocked.

When you turn the handle the firing pin cams against a notch in the bolt handle and is locked back.

Once cocked you can now insert the bolt. You may need to lower/remove the cheekpice, as the firing pin can catch. Nose the bolt into the action, and position it so the groove on the left hand side, lines up with the retaining catch on the action. You can press in the catch with your thumb, but the bolt will nudge it back by itself.

If the bolt isn't lined properly, it can stick, and un-cock itself. If this happens, pull it out gently, re-cock and try again.

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Not part of the original question, but it might be useful to know how to disassmble the bolt as well.

Anschütz bolts can be disassembled for maintenance without tools. It is held together buy an end-cap that is screwed onto the body.
First de-cock the bolt (hold in left hand and turn the handle clockwise, as if closing the bolt), then turn the end-cap anti-clockwise (looking from the rear). At first the cap makes a ratchet noise as it's under tension from the firing pin springs. Hold onto the end-cap, and slowly release it, and tip out the internals.

Clean the firing pin and insides with a very light oil and wipe dry, or use a non-oil based solvent (i,e white spirit, or brake disc cleaner). Excess oil can can gum up the firing pin, rendering the strike inconsistent, so it's best avoided. The bolt does need a little grease on the bearing surfaces (the back and front of the locking lugs, and the cocking cam). I use molybdenum grease.

Reassemble the bolt in this order; body, handle, firing pin + mainspring, indicator pin + small spring+ sleeve, spacer, end cap. Press the end cap down, and screw in until tight.
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timmeruk

Post by Timmeruk »

Thanks both, I'll be down the Club in an hour and will try both in order of posting ;-)

Thanks again
Cheers
Tim
Timmeruk

Post by Timmeruk »

Thanks Tim worked a treat !!!
Cheers
Tim