Non-linear relationship between AR and AP scores?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

galabar

Non-linear relationship between AR and AP scores?

Post by galabar »

I grabbed my Crosman 2300s (modified with custom grips and marauder trigger assembly) after having been practicing air rifle for the past few weeks. I actually found it easier to shoot higher scores (for air pistol targets).

However, it seems that top scores for AR are higher than those for AP. Is it possible that "breaking 500" is easier for a beginner with AP, but scoring at the very top (597 for AR, 591 for AP) is easier for AR (hence the "non-linear" relationship)?
justadude

Post by justadude »

I would tend to agree, early success is easier with the AP but clearly top scores with the AR are near perfection. (or were until they went to decimal scoring)

Consider that when first learning to shoot AR you have the stance, how to position the hips, the shoulders, the head how to hold the rifle and while you are moving all around trying to hit a dot the size of the head of a pin. By comparison with AP there is more latitude with the stance and holding the pistol in front of you is relatively simpler than all the stuff that goes with AR.

Now, advance a few years, with AR you can lock that rifle in, proper stance, hip and shoulder posture, rifle firmly anchored on the shoulder, cheek welded to the cheekpiece and that 30 inch or so sight radius make hitting that little dot easy compared to the AP, where you hold this thing with a really short sight radius with one hand and try to hit the 10 ring. Rifle has all the advantages.

My 2 cents

'Dude