New Pardini 32 ACP

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

John C

Post by John C »

If you're looking for a good, reliable way to weigh out small amounts of powder, try this: http://www.targetmasteruk.com/

I have one, and it works great for measuring small charges of powder. Each charge is spot on the weight set on my RCBS 10-10 scale.

I have one and use it for throwing 1.5gr charges of Bullseye for .32 S&W long. I still find it a little tedious, but you can't beat the accuracy. I bought a JDS Quick Measure, but found out that the smallest charge it will throw is 2.2gr of Bullseye. This is also a fantastic, repeatable measure. I'm going to try it with Trail Boss, which is 2x a bulky as Bullseye.

-John
fc60

RCBS 32-77-RN

Post by fc60 »

Greetings OldCaster,

I cast some bullets with the new RCBS 32-77-RN mould I purchased. They drop from the mould at 0.312"-0.313" using 1:20 Alloy.

It may not work well for your new Pardini with the 0.314" groove diameter.

Cheers,

Dave
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I think the sensible size for a bullet in these guns would be around .309 or .310 because then the brass wouldn't get worked so much and the chambers could be tighter. I didn't measure my chamber because I can't unless I take the barrel out but would guess it is pretty big because my brass after I size it is pretty bulged and it causes no problem. I maybe ought to make my expander just a tad shorter because the very tip is probably doing most of the bulging but I don't want to do that unless my outcome is poor because it is time consuming to make another exactly as this one if I make it too short. I ordered an Accurate # 31085B and specified I wanted it to drop between .314 to .3145 but it won't come in for another month. I stayed away from the gas check mold that is just like it, only checked, and will go to it if I am forced to quit expanding the brass so much and have to use a smaller bullet. I am kind of anxious to see what it will do because I am getting decent results with bulged brass, oversize chamber, undersized and poor quality bullets that shoot an excessive extreme spread. That is a recipe for disaster and most of my groups are around 3 inches and one was 2.29. I could live with the 2.29 as long as it is repeatable which I will find out in future tests. I also was given about 50 range pickups which will hopefully be all different brands so I can see if there is very much variation among them.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

I finally got some ransom rest results I believe today.

I tested 2 32 ACP loads from my Pardini: One using 60 gr XTPs for the long line, and another using lead bullets I hoped would be good enough for the short line.

The long line load is:
60 gr XTP
2.3gr Titegroup
Remington factory primed brass
0.925" OAL, 0.332" taper crimp

This load shot 1.1" CTC at 50 yards from the ransom rest.

The short line load is:
75gr Rim Rock Premium lead flat point (0.313")
2.0gr Titegroup
Remington factory primed brass
0.940" OAL, 0.332" crimp (the short OAL is required for the rounds to fit in the magazine.)

This shot 2.6" at 50 yards.

I was pretty happy with the XTP load. Not quite the sub-1" group rumored of the Pardini 32 acp, but pretty damn good, and certainly better than my 45. The crimp on these loads is not the best, since I'm using the crimp built into the Hornady seating die. It doesn't do a very good job. I want to get a Lee FCD or a Redding taper crimp die, but both are currently unavailable.

The short line load will do just fine for the short line, but did not shoot as well as the same bullet does for the guy who recommended me the bullet. This was done by PM here, so I'll keep a lid on that in case that person doesn't want me to publicize his load. Earlier I tried Hornady 90gr LSWC. These were a disaster. They wouldn't even stay consistently inside the 5 ring at 25 yards, much less at 50, the first time I shot them.

I did not get velocities today. I could not get the club's chronograph to work. Either it's broken or I don't know what I'm doing. 50/50 at this point until I talk to someone who has used it in the past. The long line load should be something like 900-950 fps, the short line about 850 according to the reloading manuals.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

cgroppi, I think the results you got are bragging right groups. There are a lot of 22 rimfire rifles or bullseye pistols that won't do better than an inch at 50 and typically even the best 45's won't beat a 2 inch average 10 shot group at 50 yards.

I think your 90 grain lead bullets are too long and are swaging down in the tight area in the rear of the case and that is why your groups are so poor. Earlier I made a comment about how far in the thicker part of the brass was in the case and I now will revise that to a figure around .225 but the first part of the taper is real mild and gets steeper as it goes. My 85 grain bullet mold is now cut down .028 thousandths (now 80 grain) so it is still a bit long and measures about .290. I am not sure how much it can stick out in front of the case and still fit in the magazine but will leave it as long as possible.

I did write an Email to Rim Rock and they said they would check how large their 32 bullets fall out of their mold to see if they could offer them in .314. They do already have a .314 die so this might make commercial lead bullets available for the 32 ACP that will work in the Pardini's.

I got about the same results with the lead .313 85 grain Lyman bullet which was better than I expected but I expect if you can get the Rim Rock bullets in .314, your results will improve.

I will be shooting my new shortened bullets probably some time this week and if I get good results I will write all that I found in one dissertation so it is easier to understand without looking back and deciphering when minds were changed by results or info. If I do well with these custom bullets, I will offer some to those who are experimenting to see if they get the same or similar results.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Thanks, Oldcaster,

I will contact Rim Rock myself to request 0.314 bullets. Maybe if a few people ask them, they'll be willing to do it.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

They said they were willing but didn't know if their molds would throw a bullet big enough to size 314 and the next time they molded some they would check and let me know. Write them an Email and I am sure they will let you know also.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I went out today to shoot my new shortened bullets expecting some real performance and instead I got real disappointment. With Lyman 313249 85 grain bullets I initially got around 3 inches 10 shot groups at 50 yards with no flyer ever. I then changed to 85 grain bullets from an Accurate mold. While the mold throws a much better quality bullet and at .314 instead of 313 and the accuracy of 80 percent of the bullets were in the less than 2 inch range I always got flyers pretty far from center. My thoughts were that the base of the bullet was too long and hitting the taper inside the case so I cut .028 off the base of the mold. The flyers are about the same severity but it also made the general group size way worse. I shot 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 of #2 and the bullets now weigh 80 grains which is less of a weight loss than I guessed. All three groups were around 5 inches not counting the flyers which made them about a foot. None of the flyers nor the others ever tip. I am not sure which way to go now except get another mold custom designed the way I think it should be but will try making some more loads using very hard lead. While I doubt it will improve, it is worth a try. The alloy I was using was 10 BHN. I have some that is 18 and I could water drop to make them in the 25 BHN range. I will update when I find more info. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of you guys do with the Rim Rock bullets in the mean time.
Murph

Post by Murph »

oldcaster wrote:I went out today to shoot my new shortened bullets expecting some real performance and instead I got real disappointment. With Lyman 313249 85 grain bullets I initially got around 3 inches 10 shot groups at 50 yards with no flyer ever. I then changed to 85 grain bullets from an Accurate mold. While the mold throws a much better quality bullet and at .314 instead of 313 and the accuracy of 80 percent of the bullets were in the less than 2 inch range I always got flyers pretty far from center. My thoughts were that the base of the bullet was too long and hitting the taper inside the case so I cut .028 off the base of the mold. The flyers are about the same severity but it also made the general group size way worse. I shot 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 of #2 and the bullets now weigh 80 grains which is less of a weight loss than I guessed. All three groups were around 5 inches not counting the flyers which made them about a foot. None of the flyers nor the others ever tip. I am not sure which way to go now except get another mold custom designed the way I think it should be but will try making some more loads using very hard lead. While I doubt it will improve, it is worth a try. The alloy I was using was 10 BHN. I have some that is 18 and I could water drop to make them in the 25 BHN range. I will update when I find more info. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of you guys do with the Rim Rock bullets in the mean time.

I shot some factory Hornady XTP 60 grain today at a match. I also practiced with them this week. Not one single flier. Off a wooden rest at 25 yards, it made the same hole. This ammo was as accurate at the 50 ft and 75 ft range as my 22 match ammo. Awesome cartridges.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I expect the 60 grain bullets are short enough that they don't need to be seated so deep that the thicker brass toward the base doesn't interfere and ruin or tip the bullet.

I have found that the bullet base can't go forward of the front of the case at all. The rifling starts immediately so I couldn't load them even single shot with the top of the bullet base sticking out of the case.

Lately my health has kept me from experimenting any farther but hope to be back soon.
agentr

Pardini 32ACP lead bullet

Post by agentr »

If anyone's still watching.....I have a shooting buddy who bought the new Pardini 32ACP and uses a cowboy bullet for Bulls-eye competitions because he cant find Hornady XTP's

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.p ... &keywords=

He says he gets sub two inch groups at 50 yds from a sandbag (no access to a Ransom Rest)

You can order a 100pc sample I believe
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Agentr
That bullet is a bit heavy for the 32 ACP, a very small case.
As far as the Hornady, it just became available with many dealers.
Tell him to do a google search for them, if he can't find any, put himself on the back order list, with each dealer. He will get some.
For lead bullets, you can't beat the RimRock 75's, excellent accuracy even at 50 yards.
The Speer 60 gr JHP Gold Dot is another bullet. Very accurate, same load as the Hornady, just seats slightly longer. Try Wideners in TN. They had them last I looked. [/list]
Rover

Post by Rover »

Back in the day, I used to load 240gr SWCs in my .44 Mag. I seated them backwards and flush with the case mouth to reduce case capacity for reduced WC loads to shoot ptarmigan and grouse in Alaska. They were very accurate.

You might try something like that (seated further out if they'll feed) with the 90 gr. Hornaday. At least you'd have a "boat-tail". ;)
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Agentr,

Has Pardini made any changes to the HP in 32 acp?
Different scope mount?
Changes to magazines to improve reliability?
Murph

PMC

Post by Murph »

I just received an order of PMC 32 ACP cartridges. Full factory ammo. It is brass cased and has the 60 grain XTP bullet. Can't wait to go test them. Quite a bit cheaper than Hornady factory ammo and two people I know shooting them and they say they are accurate. We will see.
PMC model 32b.
Murph

PMC

Post by Murph »

Shot 20 round strings today twice with the PMC 32b, 60 grain JHP.
All easy stay in a 10 ring off the bench (no ransom rest, so just off the bench).
Great cheap alternative to the Hornady factory stuff.
1banger

Re: New Pardini 32 ACP

Post by 1banger »

I've been shooting the PMC also. But it sure has some dirty powder! Also had a few stove pipes
from these rounds. But my Pardini .32 ACP was new with only 200 rounds through it. I decided to pull
a couple hundred bullets from the PMC rounds and have found they are different than the Hornady 60gr
XTP's. They are longer than the XTP and have a cavity on the bottom where the XTP is flat. Plus I got
61 to 62 grains as far as weight.

I have also reloaded the PMC cases and bullets with 2.3gr of Titegroup, which seems to be
cleaner burning than what PMC is using. I have not had a stove pipe from about 200 rounds of the
Titegroup loaded rounds. From the bench PMC is accurate enough I think, and the reloaded rounds
are just as accurate, but hard to tell a difference until the Pardini grips come for my Ransom Rest.
Then I can run much more accurate tests. Will post my findings then.