new shooter rifle question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bullseyeny

new shooter rifle question

Post by bullseyeny »

If given the choice between AR20, FWB P70, and ANS 2002CA....which would you choose? They all seem to priced comparably and it is intended predominantly as a training tool, not really for competition.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I do not like the Hammerli AR 20. I saw one in FT guise when they first came out. The stock had a nasty tendency to twist at the wrist. Not at all confidence building. They are also the product of the Umarex factory, and in examples that I have seen, this shows certainly compared to the original classic Hammerli guns. The FWB P70 was if I remember rightly their top of the line rifle once upon a time. Now it seems they use the older action in a very basic stock as an introductory/club rifle. I think the same is pretty much true of the Anschutz 2002, an older model now sold as an introductory/club rifle in a basic stock. I would expect that either of these rifles will offer as much accuracy as you could need, but without the adaptability of the more modern system stocks. I would think that if you were looking for a rifle for a club shooter, but did not for some reason want to go with a second hand rifle, then these would be good choices. I think though that you would be better off spending the same money on a good used rifle, of which there are many to choose. This is likely to give you more adaptability with stock design. Getting a rifle to fit perfectly is a tricky job, but once it does though you are likely to see an improvement in results.

Alan
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have had both ans 2002 and P70- make the disclaimer that I have a P70 for sale in the classifieds.

I have actually had several 2002's and several P70's. Each has its advantages and mostly it comes down to preference. I would say quality of each is a toss up. If you want to put a scope on the gun the 2002 is a better choice because it has dovetails in front and back of the loading port and the loading lever is off to the side. I wound up selling all my 2002's because I always loved the P70 stock. Especially with the current riser block rules allowing higher sights the P70 stock just fits me like a glove. 2002's always felt boxy and awkward to me.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Both the P70 and 2002 have won a lot of matches and still will with the right hands on the gun