Anything available in Bellevue, WA area.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

galabar

Anything available in Bellevue, WA area.

Post by galabar »

I've been playing around with my Crosman Challenger PCP and Crosman 2300s, but I don't seem to see any competitions or places to shoot near the Bellevue, WA area.

Is there anything available?

Thanks!
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

Probably the closest to you for 10m air rifle would be air rifle league happening now, at Kenmore Ranges in Bothell. For air pistol, some stuff happens at the WSeattle range, but I'm not sure about what's going on right now over there. If you're interested in either or both, pm me and I can give you some contact info.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Bothel.

I suspect a user named "zoned" live around there and know a lot about that area. He should be able to help.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I suspect with your guns of choice that you're looking in the wrong forum for competition of interest to you.
galabar

Post by galabar »

Thank you for all the replies .

At the moment, I'm just a basement shooter and only 6 meters at that. :) Although I have the means, I would probably feel silly with an expensive gun and gear. However, you never know. With enough practice, I might feel more comfortable with that stuff. Honestly, at 41, I'd probably benefit more from lasik surgery rather than from expensive gear. :)

On a side note, I've been practicing with these 10m targets shrunk down to 6m size:

http://www.weepingwatergunclub.com/targets.pdf

How realistic is this? I can hit the black on pretty much every shot, but I don't feel like I can control where in the black it hits (it feels a bit random).

Anyway, that's where I am at the moment. :)

Looking online, I saw the CMP facility (http://www.odcmp.com/3P/MarksmanshipCenters.htm). That looked pretty amazing for an air gunner. It is too bad we don't have something like that in the Seattle/Bellevue area. I'd probably be there every day. :)
galabar

Post by galabar »

I had my first practice with a group of folks last night. Lots of fun. I was the least equipped with my Crosman Challenger (lots of nice guns there) and no shooting jacket, gloves, etc..

The first thing I noticed was a definitely need for a spotting scope. In my basement, I was just walking up to the target and seeing where I hit. :) That was the first purchase when on Amazon.com when I got home. :)

I'll hold off on any other purchases for a bit and see if I can get better at shooting those itty-bitty targets.

One positive note. The 10m targets at 10m look exactly like my 10m targets shrunk down to 6m at 6m, so that, at least, was familiar.

Thanks to everyone that sent me pointers! :)
galabar

Post by galabar »

Well, I'm getting a little better. I'm now pretty consistently not touching the white (except for that last shot in the example below :( ). Still shooting with my Crosman Challenger PCP and no glove or jacket. I'll probably get more equipment when I start to consistently break 500, so that will probably be a while. :) I really want to see how much I can improve before adding any additional equipment (I did add a blinder, made from a gallon milk container, to the sight and I added riser blocks).

I definitely think shooting with others in a friendly, competitive environment really helps.

Anyway, I'm having a good time -- thanks everyone for the various bits of advice. :)

p.s. Interestingly, if you add two of these riser blocks ( http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BKL_3_8_o ... Black/2875 ) to the front sight of the Crosman it is just a hair under 60mm (something like 59.97mm). Here are the back blocks: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BKL_3_8_o ... Black/2877.

I only added one, but I found the 59.97mm number serendipitous.

p.p.s. That target is a 10m target shrunk down to 6m. I had to estimate where the pellet would have hit on a larger target, so it had to be pretty far into the next ring before I scored it at the higher value.
Attachments
target_78_2013_09_16_edited-2.jpg
galabar

Post by galabar »

We had our first recorded match last night. I got the lowly score of 121 out of 200 (lowest in the group). I did well on several shots, but I also had moments where I would clench up while firing -- involuntary spasm in a butt muscle, electric "zap" in my neck, etc.. Very strange. :)

Anyway, it's definitely harder to shoot when the score is being recorded. :)

The good thing is that, with the good shots, I felt like I was in control, well balanced, and the shot went where I wanted it to go. On the bad shots, I felt less balanced. I think, if I can make the feeling during those good shots more repeatable, I can do much better. There seem to be very small difference between a well balanced 9 and an oops 3.
rmca

Post by rmca »

galabar wrote:...but I also had moments where I would clench up while firing -- involuntary spasm in a butt muscle, electric "zap" in my neck, etc.. Very strange. :)

Anyway, it's definitely harder to shoot when the score is being recorded. :)
That´s what we call match pressure! You have just met her... It does get easier with time, or so some say... :)

Keep at it, watch, ask and learn, you'll get better.

Cheers