Wrist, Hand & Forearm Strength

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Shooter77B50

Wrist, Hand & Forearm Strength

Post by Shooter77B50 »

Hey everybody I am new here...

How many of you on here exercise your hands & forearms?
I am a expert on grip strength almost.. I think grip strength is very important when shooting pistols as well as control of the fingers...

Their is a grip training program called RRBT grip program that I will start soon that increases your ability to close heavy duty hand grippers.. The ebook is a pretty interesting program to follow as long as you exercise you extensors muscles to balance things out...

here is the link
http://www.cyberpump.com/rrbt/
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I think grip strength is important, as long as you don't use it to try and muscle the gun onto the target. Wrist strength, arm strength, and shoulder strength is very important, as your hold will deteriorate really quickly without it, and you will really suffer in sustained fire.
The important thing is not to over grip the gun, and to do exercises with your fingers that teach you to move your trigger finger independently of the others.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I agree with Isabel.
I feel shoulder strength is the most important.
Being able to keep the pistol on target during recoil is the more important part of sustained fire. Not having to hunt for the target,
It's true that gripping the pistol too soft is a real no no.
But a death grip is just as bad.
Peter B

Strength

Post by Peter B »

Another line on strength always brings me to the little lady I shot next to who doesn't have arms as big as my wrist and kick my butt in 45.

If you want to try something, hold the gripper up side down leaving your trigger finger free from the gripper. Now squease the gripper and place a coin between the handles and see how long you can hold it there while excercising your trigger finger.

Is this going to help, I'm am an electrician who has squeased pliers for over 30 years and has even snapped a pair or two and when it comes to shooting I rather be the little lady who has mastered her trigger control.

Not the size of the dog in the fight.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I have a feeling that the OP may be trying to sell the product on the website link, but as far as grip strength is concerned this device has worked well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Streng ... 596&sr=1-3

I have one of each of these in medium and heavy and keep them in my car so I can work my grip on my commute. It allows each finger to work independently and has definitely made a difference in the steadiness of my grip and maybe in my triggering.

You don't want to overgrip the gun. If you are trying to squeeze the sap out of the wood, you will have problems with tremor in short order. It is more important that the grip be reasonably firm and very consistent over time and that is where grip strength development comes in.

Isabel is quite right in saying that shoulder strength is very important. I have been using a couple of 3 lb dumbbells held at arms length and waved about in slow figure 8's and that seems to have helped quite a bit too.

Roger
Misny

Post by Misny »

I think that muscle tone is more important than muscle strength. I have used a gallon plastic container, i.e. milk jug, with a piece of string tied to it and the other end stapled to a piece of wooden broom handle. Do a few roll ups and roll downs (all controlled). Once you do that easily, put some water in the milk jug for your next session.

Having good muscle tone, so as to control the pistol, makes trigger control easier. By that, I mean it allows the pistol shooter to be patient with the trigger.

I also think that regular stretching exercises, focusing on the large tendon below the elbow, will prevent "shooter's elbow". I got this tip from a "Shooting Sports" article, many years ago.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

gripmaster on ebay, get the heavy pro, 13.99 free shipping, it will build your grip and you can practice pulling the trigger with your finger
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

GunRunner wrote:gripmaster on ebay, get the heavy pro, 13.99 free shipping, it will build your grip and you can practice pulling the trigger with your finger

They also have them on amazon. I have the medium because for my purposes, training my trigger finger to be independent, five pounds seems sufficient without stressing my hand.
Sixftunda

Post by Sixftunda »

I started using the powerball gyro that Brian Zins endorses. It definitely works your wrist and forearm muscles.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Sixftunda wrote:I started using the powerball gyro that Brian Zins endorses. It definitely works your wrist and forearm muscles.

I have thought about getting one of those. Is there a specific model that is better or best?
Sixftunda

Post by Sixftunda »

All of them work good. You will definitely want the battery powered launcher until you figure out how to get it running by yourself. Some of them light up as you use them which can be distracting at work. They can be bought for 20.00 to 30.00

Just do not drop them! The gyro spins on a small shaft and if you drop it it will bend the shaft and it will spin off balance. It will feel like you are operating a 30 year old weed eater :)

I have one of Gunny's and a heavier steel ball which gives you even more of a work out. The steel ball is pricey, around 100.00 but comes with spare parts.

I use them while sitting in the chair and while driving.
davekp

Post by davekp »

I bought one. A waste of money in my opinion. I get a better workout by rolling up a weight on a rope with a broomstick.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

http://www.nismat.org/patients/injury-e ... condylitis appears to offer some exercises useful to shooting. As I managed to get a sore arm from practice I wanted to head off further problems. The rubber band exercise in the above link was recommended to me by a chiropractor to balance grasping muscles.

I also use a trackball with my non-shooting hand when using a computer. It's a little slower but not a big problem.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

davekp wrote:I bought one. A waste of money in my opinion. I get a better workout by rolling up a weight on a rope with a broomstick
I use a weight on a rope on a stick too. It's just a little awkward trying to use it while driving.

Roger
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

RandomShotz wrote:
davekp wrote:I bought one. A waste of money in my opinion. I get a better workout by rolling up a weight on a rope with a broomstick
I use a weight on a rope on a stick too. It's just a little awkward trying to use it while driving.

Roger
You should be dry firing when you are driving. Unless you are a left handed shooter, in which case, it is a bad idea to stick the gun out the window. :-)
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Sixftunda wrote:I started using the powerball gyro that Brian Zins endorses. It definitely works your wrist and forearm muscles.
Is he getting paid for endorsing it?
kameljock

Fitness

Post by kameljock »

Just thought I'd add a bit here. I tend to disagree with the statement that muscle tone is more important than strength. There are two type of muscle strength, muscular endurance and pure strength. When one considers the strength needed to shoot a 2700, endurance is what I think of. This would also hold true for a 3P match as well.

If you are looking to develop a fitness program, or wish to develop a specific muscle group I highly recommend this web site, Exercise Prescription. It is a free site that I have been using for 15-20 years.

http://exrx.net/
Isabel1130

Re: Fitness

Post by Isabel1130 »

kameljock wrote:Just thought I'd add a bit here. I tend to disagree with the statement that muscle tone is more important than strength. There are two type of muscle strength, muscular endurance and pure strength. When one considers the strength needed to shoot a 2700, endurance is what I think of. This would also hold true for a 3P match as well.

If you are looking to develop a fitness program, or wish to develop a specific muscle group I highly recommend this web site, Exercise Prescription. It is a free site that I have been using for 15-20 years.

One thing I know. I live at 6200 feet in elevation. When I do quite a bit of cardio, I am less susceptible to fatigue, and when I go down five thousand feet or so, I generally shoot even better.

I cant make myself any younger so if I want to shoot better, better fitness, and better diet is what I can work on, and it does help.
kameljock

Re: Fitness

Post by kameljock »

Isabel1130 wrote:
kameljock wrote:Just thought I'd add a bit here. I tend to disagree with the statement that muscle tone is more important than strength. There are two type of muscle strength, muscular endurance and pure strength. When one considers the strength needed to shoot a 2700, endurance is what I think of. This would also hold true for a 3P match as well.

One thing I know. I live at 6200 feet in elevation. When I do quite a bit of cardio, I am less susceptible to fatigue, and when I go down five thousand feet or so, I generally shoot even better.

I cant make myself any younger so if I want to shoot better, better fitness, and better diet is what I can work on, and it does help.
I totally agree. I live @ 7000and when I go to Phoenix be it for a rifle match or a mountain bike race it feels like I'm being force feed O2.
be in the moment