Height for 10m air pistol target

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

And ISSF lighting requirements are incredible. When we turn up the lights so the ISSF would be happy, everybody starts looking for sunglasses.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Tycho wrote:And ISSF lighting requirements are incredible. When we turn up the lights so the ISSF would be happy, everybody starts looking for sunglasses.
That is quite a normal reaction from shooters who have only shot on under-lit club ranges.

What is the point of telling people to "look at the sights" if the lighting is so bad that they can only see them in silhouette.

When you're on aim, if you can't clearly see the lines on the back of your hand then there isn't enough light.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I partly agree. On the other hand, what's the use of illuminating the targets so bright that I actually have light refraction at the edges of my rear sight? Good for those selling filters, of course. We are running our club range now at the lower edge of the ISSF guidelines and that's ok, but on ranges as bright as (apparently, as one was told by people who are actually shooting on the ISSF "circuit") the current ISSF Worldcup standards, I get snowblindness.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Tycho wrote:I partly agree. On the other hand, what's the use of illuminating the targets so bright that I actually have light refraction at the edges of my rear sight?
Target lighting is the easy one to sort out.

More difficult (and expensive) are the general range and firing point lighting. In many respects they are more important (for pistol shooters). They are the ones that allow you to look at the sights properly. If they are set correctly then apparent problems of the targets being over-lit are dramatically reduced.
conradin

Post by conradin »

David Levene wrote: When you're on aim, if you can't clearly see the lines on the back of your hand then there isn't enough light.
Can you explain what that means David'? Especially the "lines"?
As for the lighting requirement, I don't even understand what a LUX is.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:
David Levene wrote: When you're on aim, if you can't clearly see the lines on the back of your hand then there isn't enough light.
Can you explain what that means David'? Especially the "lines"?
As for the lighting requirement, I don't even understand what a LUX is.
Quite simply, there should be enough light falling on your hand and pistol from above to enable you to see every wrinkle, spot, hair etc.

You need to buy or borrow a light meter with a lux readout. As it's only for home use you can get away with a cheap one; it'll get you into the right ball-park. I would imagine you should be able to buy one from ebay in the US for $15-$25.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Amazing!

25 responses (now 26, one-third of them from Conradin), to a question Levene answered in the first response.

Chatty lot, aren't we?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Nope. The responses are to post #4 :-D
conradin

Post by conradin »

I highjacked the thread to ask a question that is partially related to the original question. Since the original question is about location of the target, I may as well ask David how to set it up properly, including the right surrounding (and I did not even know anything about lighting until now).