Earmuffs

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bolampau

Earmuffs

Post by bolampau »

Hello,
just like to say I'm a new member here and am finding this forum a mine of useful information. I have come back to AP 10m shooting after a 28 year break, so am as rusty as hell !

I've still got my old FWB 80 which is in good nick but I decided to treat myself to a Steyr LP10 which is drop-dead gorgeous!

Anyway, I've just joined a local range and went there last night. Unfortunately, I found the FWB 700 next to me very loud and it made me jump ! So I put on my old Silenta Super earmuffs but found them a bit sweaty around the ears due to them having plastic covers :-(

Is there a pair of earmuffs I can buy that have similar earpads that are on my Beyerdynamic Hi-Fi headphones ? These have some kind of felt lining which would be much more comfortable in a hot shooting range.
Many thanks,
Paul
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

You could always try ear plugs, but not everyone finds those comfortable either.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I like my Etymotic earplugs. They work really well in isolating me from other shooters. If there are only 3 or 4 of us on the line at the air pistol club I don't bother putting them in because anything in my ears is noticeable, something to distract from shooting, but when it's more than that and several are noisy Steyr pistols I prefer to have that buffer. And a nice feature is the switch for conversation. They still damp the impact of high intensity sound, but they amplify softer sounds so I can hear better than naturally with them set that way. I paid a visit to a hearing aid clinic to get silicone moulds made, sent those off to a friend - http://plungeaudio.wordpress.com/page/4/ - who makes Etymotics custom earplugs, and he sent me finished set back within a week. Fit like a glove so after 15 minutes or so I usually forget they're in there.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Wad 'em up, stuff 'em in your holes!

One of the motorcycle magazines did a comprehensive test on hearing protection. Bottom line: the cheap foam plugs we sell at the range for a quarter gave the most (best) protection, even over the expensive custom molded ones.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any on an airgun range, but if you're kinda high strung....
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Brian G wrote:You could always try ear plugs, but not everyone finds those comfortable either.
I always use ear plugs, but have some custom made ones. I think as Rover says they are not as good as (new) cheap foam plugs, but they cut out sufficient noise for safety on smallbore ranges and to aid concentration / eliminate distractions on the airgun range.

Rob.
rickard9

Earmuffs

Post by rickard9 »

Or 9mm shells.....
bolampau

Post by bolampau »

Thanks for your replies. Will give ear plugs a try.
Cheers,
Paul
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I've been using these for years:

http://www.totalindustrialsupply.com/Pr ... lick=80157

You might get a better price if you shop around - that was just what came up on Google.

I regularly shoot at an indoor range and the sound from even a .44 mag does not bother me. I tried the custom plugs and had a problem with the fit - apparently, my left ear canal is tapered and the plug tended to work its way loose. At best, they never gave me the protection of the E-A-R Classic Superfit 33 plugs.

Roger
nimrodf

Post by nimrodf »

The key to making plugs work is putting them in correctly. I've worn them for years and still learned something from this video.

http://youtu.be/SPNPZJingZA
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Excellent video. It did not mention extraction, tho'. You just have to take them out slowly - this gives your ear a chance to equalize pressure. Pulling them out too quickly can be very uncomfortable.

Also note if you pull them out too quickly, sometimes bits of grey matter will get sucked out out with them. I don't know about you, but as a child of the 60's I've already lost enough brain cells ...

On very rare occasion, a plug may be in too far to get a grip on; teasing it out with tweezers should get it to the point where you can grab it. Vise-grips are generally not necessary and the use of an awl, burin, ice pick, etc., is discouraged.

Roger
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

There are pros and cons for each of the protective resources:

Ear plugs - people not all the time can tell whether you are using ear protection and might think you have heard what they have just told you - when you haven't.
Can be unhygienic.
Do not protect against structure borne noise i.e. noise that can travel along the bone structure to the cochlea.
Can loosen and thereby reduce protection.

Earmuffs: People can readily tell if a user is wearing ear protection.
Offer better attenuation due to ear being covered by a tough plastic casing which deflects noise.
Communication system can be built in.
Can be uncomfortable in warm conditions.
Must be kept clean and maintained.

TommyH
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Tommy H -

I have been using foam type earplugs for years starting when I worked in a die stamping plant and I take exception to your comments on them.
Tommy H wrote:people not all the time can tell whether you are using ear protection and might think you have heard what they have just told you - when you haven't.
While I may have had problems understanding someone who did not know I had plugs in, I usually have no problem realizing I am being spoken to. I just point to my ear, turn my head so the speaker can see the plug and smile sweetly.
Tommy H wrote:Can be unhygienic.
Use the disposable foam type - the reusable types are not as effective anyway - and just toss them after use.
Tommy H wrote:Do not protect against structure borne noise i.e. noise that can travel along the bone structure to the cochlea.
No argument here, but I don't see how ear muffs are significantly superior in this regard. And if you are shooting next to someone firing some unholy hand cannon, you can always put ear muffs over the plugs and get a significant increase in attenuation.
Tommy H wrote:Can loosen and thereby reduce protection.
This may be true of reusable plugs, but the E-A-R foam plugs do not come loose if they are properly inserted.

And there is one other point in favor of plugs - ear plugs do not interfere with shooting glasses and do not have to be removed to adjust them

As far as your comments on ear muffs are concerned, I have little to say since I've used them only rarely and have never used noise-cancelling muffs or any other electronically enhanced ear protection. However, I can say that foam ear plugs are more effective at noise attenuation than passive ear muffs by a wide margin.

Roger
rmca

Post by rmca »

For AP I find that ear plugs are sufficient. They provide adequate noise reduction and are more comfortable in indoor situations, especially in the summer. I don't use the disposable ones, and every two or three times, i wash them and their case with alcohol.

For .22s and above I go with earmuffs. They provide more sound reduction, but are a little less comfortable. If using large calibers I put them both on.

Don't relax your ear protection... just look at the shooters who have been doing this for a long time and try to speak in a low key to them... odds are you'll have to repeat yourself!

Hope this helps :)
montster

Try Silicone Plugs

Post by montster »

I really like the silicone ear plugs sold at drug stores for keeping water out of your ears during swimming. Reusable many times. Comfortable. You can get theminbright green or orange so folks know you have them in. Use them for 22 but add muffs for anything louder. Around $0.50 pair. Comfort and ease of use are the primary benefits.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

RandomShotz Tommy H -

I have been using foam type earplugs for years starting when I worked in a die stamping plant and I take exception to your comments on them.
I have 'permanent threshold shift' and 24/7 tinnitus which is a nightmare when it won't let you fall asleep - all due to not having access to the kind of help I have just offered. Frankly, regarding your taking exception to my comments, you need to thank your lucky stars that you don't have to put up with my kind of hearing damage. If my advice saves one soul from the torture I am going through then it is well worth the 'collateral damage'.

Furthermore, putting earmuffs over ear plugs will lead to over-attenuation, thereby cutting out voice commands from the range officer - not safe!

TommyH
Rover

Post by Rover »

You can always tell old shooters....they are always yelling at each other.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Rover wrote:You can always tell old shooters....they are always yelling at each other.
What did you say? Why do you mumble all the time?
conradin

Post by conradin »

I use MEC earplugs. They are expensive, but once you try them, you will never go back for something else...