Remington 40x worth

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bcopeland

Remington 40x worth

Post by bcopeland »

I have a remington 40x with a three digit serial number and I was wondering what it is worth. It has only shot one match in the last 30 years and shot very good. It has a clean bore and in good shape. It has red field international front and rear sights. I was just wondering what it would be worth. Thanks guys
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

Put it on Gunbroker, no reserve, $1 starting bid. In 7 days you will have your answer and a buyer.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Or flip that around,

Watch on Gunbroker to see if there are other similar 40X out there and what they go for. You will likely have to watch for a while. Hope you are not in a hurry.

Also, if you can find something like Gun Digest or Blue Book of Gun Values that might help. However for a niche firearm like a 40X value can vary widely for the same gun. Find someone who knows what it is and wants one, you are great, find someone to whom it is an overweight squirrel gun, bad day.

My 2 cents,
'Dude
23's Dad

Take a look at RimfireCentral.com

Post by 23's Dad »

RimfireCentral.com has an extensive forum dedicated to the Remington Model 37 and 40x. They also have a pretty good grip on that segment of the market. Most of them shoot from a bench, and the inclinations over there are toward the more highly customized rifles, but they will know what questions to ask.

Since it's a 3 digit serial number, I assume you've got a 722 based action. I also assume we are not talking about a magazine fed sporter. Before you make a posting over there, let me save you from several common questions:

1) We need pictures.
2) Does the bolt match the receiver serial no?
3) CMP rifle or US marked?
4) Heavy or Contoured barrel?

As an aside, I bought a original configuration non-US marked, 722 action, #s matching, Contoured Barrel, with Redfield Olympic sights, in very good condition in 2011 for $1100. Subsequently, the CMP released several hundred 40x and 40xb rifles in various configurations, markings and conditions. Prices were well below what I paid (450-650 IIRC), but the secondary market didn't dip much. A clean 40x for sale is about equally as rare as it was before the last CMP sale.

Demand and availability will dictate your price. They are fairly scarce her in So. Cal because most shooters use either an M4 type rifle with an optic or a 10/22 with a bizillion power scope. A single shot bolt action target rifle is just not high-speed/low-drag enough and shooting with aperture sights is nearly unheard of.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

A 40X with sight will bring over 1000 easily. I would put an ad on rimfire central with pics and a price of 1250. I sold four 40X rifles the last few years and they all went very fast on rimfirecentral.com. Good luck.
an1913t

Post by an1913t »

rayjay wrote:Put it on Gunbroker, no reserve, $1 starting bid. In 7 days you will have your answer and a buyer.
This. You should be able to get at least $1250 out of your gun, and possibly quite a bit more given the low serial number and condition. If you are afraid of listing at $1, you can always set a reserve price you are comfortable with, but those tend to put a damper on the bidding until the reserve is met.