what brand ammo

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jmlpa

what brand ammo

Post by jmlpa »

I am a beginner using an Anschutz 1903 on a youth rifle team. I have purchased my own 1903l , I am interested in what other people are shooting (ammo) the team shoots CCI. I want to buy ammo to practice on my own as well.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Any subsonic or standard velocity 40gr solid bullet sold in a 50 round box will function. The more the box of 50 costs, the more time the factory spent on quality control. As a beginner you don't need top grade ammunition (Eley Tenex, RWS R50, or Lapua Midas). If you are shooting indoors at 50ft (or 20/25yards if you're British), almost all ammunition labelled "Target" will be accurate enough. As you progress, and you find that your "target" ammo doesn't group as tightly as you can hold, then it's time to think of spending a little more on ammo.

For shooting at 50 yards/metres or 100 yards you may want to be a little more picky, as the extra QC makes a difference in accuracy at the longer range. But don't spend too much; look at Eley Club or Edge (or the price equivalent from SK/Wolf/Lapua/RWS). If you are feeling flush, or for a really important match, you could splash out on Eley Match (or price equivalent from RWS and Lapua).

Eventually "batch-testing" your ammo becomes worthwhile; this means test firing different production lots of a given brand/grade of ammo to find a match to your rifle, and then buying a large quanitity of the best performer.

Ignore high or hyper-velocity loads, these are generally much less accurate.

Tim S
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmlpa

ordered some to try

Post by jmlpa »

I ordered Federal target and cci minimags. Your opinion of these would be helpful. It is what was available.
A family that shoots together stays together
corning

Re: ordered some to try

Post by corning »

jmlpa wrote:I ordered Federal target and cci minimags. Your opinion of these would be helpful. It is what was available.
The Federal target should work nicely indoors, and at 50 yards outdoors. I believe the Federal is 40 grain, and I've seen it used at US NRA prone matches and it doesn't look to perform badly.

I don't have any experience with the CCI mini-mags, but think they may be a little loud. Not sure about what the "extra speed" will do for you, nor what weight bullet it has and how it will work (so to speak).

John
jmlpa

Thanks

Post by jmlpa »

, you have been a big help.
A family that shoots together stays together
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Pretty sure I have used the CCI mini mags in the past and they were OK, but not especially well made and quite greasy. I would also suggest that you should stick to only one sort of ammo and use it for 'practice' or properly put, 'training' and for competitions. I use eley match for all my rifle shooting but I've never looked at batch testing as for me it's just too expensive to justify at my ability level.

The problem with mixing ammo is that the gun will behave slightly differently, especially for the first set of the other ammo, and you never quite know if that 'flier' is down to you or the ammo.

Rob.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I would tend to stay away from the mini mags, I don't think that they will perform well at all in a match chamber/barrel. I did once try some CCI Standard in my 1813, and had terrible problems chambering the rounds, they seemed to be mostly rather on the large side for the match chamber of the 1813. I have never had any problems chambering any of the European ammunition from Eley Standard up to Tennex, as well as Lapua Midas and RWS R50 or even the RWS made Gecko ammunition, which seems to be of a similar price to the CCI, at least it was when I was buying it.

Alan
WRL

Post by WRL »

I have a 1903 rifle. I was shooting Wolf Match and was quite satisfied with it. But, I recently bought CCI Standard Velocity at significantly less cost and found that the CCI shoots as well as the Wolf in my rifle. I have been getting 10 shot groups of about a half inch (usually a little less) at 50 yards shooting prone using a bipod and scope with the butt in my shoulder (not using a rear rest)
TPJones

Post by TPJones »

Any standard velocity (or lower) ammunition should work. After you become more familiar and settle down with the rifle you might want to consider batch testing different brands/types for best accuracy.

I like to see all my hits in the 10 ring at whatever distance I'm shooting. If it won't hold the ten, try something else. My current lot of match ammo will hold the x ring on the NRA 50 meter target. Never shot ISSF.

I'm also touchy about what bullet lube is being used. I stay with the same lube for all my ammo for my Anschutz, both match ammo and practice. Don't "cross lube" your practice and match ammunition. I feel it takes about 30 shots for the barrel to settle in, others think differently.

One thing I would avoid is supersonic ammunition that passes to sub-sonic when shooting at 100 yards. I think the buffeting that occurs disrupts the bullet. Most standard velocity goes sub-sonic at about 55-60 yards depending on the bc of the bullet. (This is not to be construed as advocating ammunition that always stays supersonic :-) )

My current cases of match ammo leave my muzzle at 1052 +/- a bit, so it stays subsonic all the way out.

Both Wolf and SK make, IMO, nice ammo at a decent price. I shot in an 800 aggregate match two months ago and the competitor two positions down from me shot a 791-37x with Wolf Match Extra. So that ammo might work for you, if your rifle likes it. It was obviously working for him

Regards,
NetNinja

Wolf Match or Match Extra

Post by NetNinja »

I have 2 Anschutz 1813 Supermatch rifles and both shoot exceptionaly well with either Wolf shot through them. I use that exclusively for practice.

By far I think they are the best bang for the buck. Buy 100 rounds and see for yourself.

The only other brand I have shot out of both rifles are Eley Match and Tennex.