Cleaning kit, what if the cord breakes inside de barrel ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bruno Almeida

Cleaning kit, what if the cord breakes inside de barrel ?

Post by Bruno Almeida »

Friends,

I use the following kit to clean the barrel of my Fein700, it never happend, but i wonder how would i take the cotton wicks of the barrel if the cord breaks.

Happend to anyone ?

http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... ce5608b422

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I know when you break the head off an axe, you just throw it in the fire until the wood has burned out.

Good luck!
conradin

Post by conradin »

I presume it breaks and both ends are stuck inside the barrel.
Go and find a very long tweezers, aybe the one used by watchmaker or jeweler, and pull it out. Another way is to use a cleaning rod, and push it out.

My two pellets.
svensta

Post by svensta »

Ram rod will do the trick.
spektr

Post by spektr »

so will heavy stringtrimmer line....
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

Point it in a safe direction and......
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Strimmer line would make a replacement pull-through, but is it going to be stiff enough to poke a cotton wick out of the barrel? I have my doubts.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

why on earth would you feel the need to clean the barrel on a fwb700?

short answer dont bother.

on the other hand if you have been stupid enough to end up in the above situation push it out with a .17 cleaning rod.... CAREFULLY!!!
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

remmy223 wrote:why on earth would you feel the need to clean the barrel on a fwb700?
Why? Because if you are capable of shooting consistant tens it helps the rifles ability to continue to do so which is why most of the top shooters in the world do so, if you are not good enough it makes little difference.

OP, if you don't use more cords than recomended it won't break!
Good shooting
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I've heard both sides of this argument a lot recently and I don't think that it really matters if you clean it ever. The 'lead dust' that is in the barrel is just the graphite powder put on the pellets to lubricate them and is removed and reapplied with each shot. Unless there is a piece of broken off lead in the barrel there really isn't much need to clean it. My Diana 100 hasn't been cleaned in 20+ years and still can put 5 pellets through the same hole. Feinwerkbau recommends sparsely cleaning the rifle and to only clean the barrel when deemed necessary (They also recommend using cleaning pellets (page 44 of the owners manual)).
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Why? Because if you are capable of shooting consistant tens it helps the rifles ability to continue to do so which is why most of the top shooters in the world do so, if you are not good enough it makes little difference.

Rubbish,

I've heard both sides of this argument a lot recently and I don't think that it really matters if you clean it ever. The 'lead dust' that is in the barrel is just the graphite powder put on the pellets to lubricate them and is removed and reapplied with each shot. Unless there is a piece of broken off lead in the barrel there really isn't much need to clean it. My Diana 100 hasn't been cleaned in 20+ years and still can put 5 pellets through the same hole. Feinwerkbau recommends sparsely cleaning the rifle and to only clean the barrel when deemed necessary (They also recommend using cleaning pellets (page 44 of the owners manual)).

In a nutshell spot on.

Niccolo Campriani has never cleaned the barrel of his 700. I asked him..

Nor has Maik Eckhardt, asked him several times too.
RobinC

Cleaning

Post by RobinC »

Sorry Remmy
It is not rubbish, but I do agree that it makes a very small difference, but then air rifle is shot at a ten of 0.5 mm and is now under new rules scored to a tenth of a point. Before it was only relavent to a 9.9 (scored as a nine) and a 10.0 was still as much a ten as a 10.9, but now everything is scored decimal so a tenth of a mm on group size will impact on the score.

I can also assure you that Maik Eckhart does promote cleaning, I have attended at MEC in Dortmund and will return in Sept, (Maik is the ME in MEC), his business is where many of the top shooters train and most do clean. Maik has some very sophisticated test equipment to support the advantage of testing and cleaning. If you read "Air Rifle Shooting" a MEC book co written by Maik and Gaby Buhlmann (Nicco's coach) pages 107/108 cover his views on testing and he empasises the need to clean. Cleaning can effect the group size by 0.2 mm upwards and that will impact on the score under decimal scoring.
I also agree that many air shooters do not clean (most but not exclusively are not top class shooters) I'm also aware that also many (some who shoot well) .22RF shooter do not clean, but both air and rimfire target rifle manufacturers recomend cleaning, and from my contacts with a target rifle manufacturers Sports Services Dept they are adamant that cleaning is important to achieving the best group sizes.
It is not rubbish, it is advantagious to those shooting at high level, it is simple, cheap, and takes another factor out of the equation. If you or any one else chose not to then that is your choice which you are entitled to do, but it is a simple task, I would recomend the simpler way of shooting three or four felts through after every full match course, if anyone dosn't agree, then simple don't do it, it affects no one but you!
Good Shooting!
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Robin,
Firstly I apologise if I came across rude in my previous post.

As with all things shooting there are usually two camps when it comes to cleaning.

So I think we will agree to disagree.

My thoughts are if you are gonna clean an air rifle barrel it should only be between different batches of pellets. There is definitely no need to clean between course's of fire.