Coonan Pistols

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mld

Coonan Pistols

Post by mld »

Has anyone done any testing on these 1911 style .357's?

I've been thinking a 38 Special or light .357 magnum load in this pistol might be the answer for the center fire portion of the 2700.

The .32 is sometimes iffy at 50 yards.

I haven't found an accurate 9 mm load.

Comments please?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The answer to any of these questions is the twist rate in the barrel. This 38 has no advantages over a 1911 9mm. If you want an accurate 9mm load try a Hornady 115g JHP XTP in newer Starline brass over 5.0 of VV N340, or N330.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

If you want to shoot .38 Special, why not seek out a S&W Model 52? I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but those of us who shoot them, love them. If you just want a shooter with the same grip and feel of a 1911, why not just shoot the one you have for the CF portion?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Roger
mld

Post by mld »

Isabel1130 wrote:The answer to any of these questions is the twist rate in the barrel. This 38 has no advantages over a 1911 9mm. If you want an accurate 9mm load try a Hornady 115g JHP XTP in newer Starline brass over 5.0 of VV N340, or N330.
I will try your 9 mm load. Thank you.
mld

Post by mld »

RandomShotz wrote:If you want to shoot .38 Special, why not seek out a S&W Model 52? I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but those of us who shoot them, love them. If you just want a shooter with the same grip and feel of a 1911, why not just shoot the one you have for the CF portion?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Roger
I used to shoot a Model 52 many years ago but now they are overpriced and hard to obtain in Canada. In any event I wasn't that good with it.

I'm not, as yet, a very good shot with the .45. I'm much better with the .32 and the .38. More practice is required on my part.

I had my eye on a Sig P210 in 9 mm but hadn't found an accurate load (see above post).
Rover

Post by Rover »

I owned a Colt 1911 with the .38 Special Colt kit in it. It was extraordinarily fussy about loads, but also very accurate when everything was right. I once shot a 293 in Int. CF Precision with it.

I sold it and went .45 for everything. It was a good move.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Get a Pardini 32 ACP. I have been experimenting about a month with one shooting lead bullets and at 50 yards it is doing fine. At this time I am shooting a lead bullet that is .001 less than bore size which isn't commensurate to accuracy and today bench rest shot a group of 20 shots that went into 2.672 inches. It was a Lyman .313249 85 grain bullet shot in a .314 barrel and the velocity was an average of 670 fps. I sized them .313 and most of the bullet doesn't get touched because it is a bit smaller and consequently not round after it is sized. I think at 25 yards, it would be possible to get as low as 550 but even at 670 the kick is almost non existent so no reason to go lower. Considering the accuracy I have attained already with not the best components, I would say it could be made to be even better than what I have attained already by quite a bit. The twist is slow, the bullets are round nose and none out of about 200 have tipped.
6string

Post by 6string »

The 1911 properly customized for the 38 special wadcutter is an excellent CF choice, be it for 2700 (50 yds.) or international CF. When I say "properly customized", I am referring to examples built by gunsmiths such as John Giles and Jim Clark, perhaps a few other guys of that era. Avoid the various Colt versions such as the Gold Cup 38, etc. Colt never got it right, except that their 38 special magazines are quite good, if expensive.
You'll find a fair amount of variety in the customized 38 wadcutters. Some have ramped barrels, some not, some will have a barrel specifically made for use as a 38 special, while others will be converted from 38 Super. There are 6" long slides, standard 5" slides, the latter maybe having an extended front sight. Some will be built from Colt parts kits (usually marked 62-s) while others will be old school conversions off of a 38 super.
All of these variations can work well, actually phenomenally when done right. The ones I've used have been 100% reliable and extremely accurate with my hand loads (1" to 1.5" 50 yd 10 shot groups, using cast wadcutters or commercial swaged HBWCs). They are also very forgiving to a variety of loads and components, something I can't say for the S&W 52.
If you have a reliability problem with one, it can usually be traced to the load (a good taper crimp helps!) or magazine.
Due to their low recoil, I find them easy to shoot well, and ideal for training and developing good follow-through. They hold their accuracy for a long, long time.
If you need parts, no problem! It's a 1911.

To address the question concerning the Coonan, I don't think they perform on a competitive level as is. It may be possible to work one to a satisfactory performance, since it is basically a 1911. I imagine there are a few proprietary parts like the magazine and trigger. Fitting the slide and frame might be an issue, being that they're stainless steel.
The blast of the 357 cartridge would most likely not be appreciated by your fellow competitors!

Best Regards,
Jim
Jon Eulette

Coonan & .38 vs. 9mm

Post by Jon Eulette »

The Coonan has a much deeper grip to accomodate the longer .357 with round nose bullet. Need a large hand for the increased depth. No after market parts available for custom build.

I've been a pistolsmith since 1989 and have built 9mm and .38 conversions. As we know from the forum's, the 9mm shoot some of the best groups, but realistically they are at a disadvantage in my opinion. THEY RECOIL TOO MUCH, when they are shooting their best. You will get more points across the course with an accurate pistol with less recoil. The 9's I've seen shoot the best actually recoil more than the .45's I build that will shoot 1.5" with a milder load. A .38 with a 2.8gr charge of Bullseye recoils substantially less than the 9mm. I would give up some accuracy for a milder recoil because you will still shoot your 10's. A good trigger is more important than an exceptionally shooting pistol. I'd take a .38 any day over the 9mm. If it's windy shoot your .45! I've shot 290's precision for international centerfire and high 880's for BE with the .38 wadcutters. Nothing special about my .38, it just was reliable and actually loose by todays standards. I just rebuilt a Clark Longslide .38 Kit gun last year that after tightening frame and slide and welding up stock barrel and refitting shot 1.5" @ 50yds. It is pleasant to shoot and simple to reload for.

Jon
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

I've seen several references to the 9mm wadguns needing to be loaded fairly hot to be accurate. Is it possible to use a lighter load for the short line? The 10 ring is a relatively large target at 25 yards.